• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

saminoriya

Premium Member
  • Aug 11, 2024
    Does anyone have any insights on how reliable Ziplaw as an application boosting/commercial awareness site is? Especially their previously successful application answers per firm.
    I think they are quite good, however not sure if all of their guides for applications are from previous years, because, for example, Ashurst changed their application questions this year, but Ziplaw has a guide on their application questions kinda submitted previously, but it couldn't be as those questions weren't there.

bollingdale

Sep 12, 2024
    Hello, I am trying to polish up my answer for the first video question (I can give an example of how I approached the experience section if anyone asks)
    The question is basically "Why do you want to be a commercial lawyer at x, and what qualities and skills do you require to be successful at this?"

ITS ONLY 2 MINUTES!
    My approach to the question is to break down the question into three sections

why commercial law?
    why x firm?
    what skills and how do i demonstrate them?
    The problem is that I only have time to go through this twice based on my script

eg GLOBAL SCOPE -> x's GLOBAL SCOPE -> SKILLS REQUIRED AND HOW I DEMONSTRATE RE. INNOVATION
    INNOVATION -> x's INNOVATION -> SKILLS REQUIRED AND HOW I DEMONSTRATE THEM RE. INNOVATION

I would just appreciate some pointers on the video section. I'm going to finish drafting the script tonight and then record it tomorrow; then repeat the process for the second question

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker please could you help with this query? If they ask for grades I will put my tutor but if it’s a generic reference I would like to put my module leader as reference
    I don’t know the specifics of what they ask, but what they ask for and what they receive from the university may be very different anyway.

bollingdale

Sep 12, 2024
    hi everyone,

does anyone have any tips for 'telling a story' ? I'm applying for A&O Shearman's winter vac scheme, and I'm lost writing the work experience sections. I went to one of the application masterclass things, and the grad recruitment people kept emphasising they wanted us to tell a story in our work exp section.

i'm not even sure what i'm doing, it's my first vac scheme application. I've got a few retail and hospitality jobs, some volunteering in a hospital, a few insight days, and I'm a campus ambassador, I'm not sure how to craft that into a story, or how to tell that story in a work exp section.

any help is much appreciated!!!!
    it helps telling the story if you communicate the skills they are looking for in a problem->solution->result framework. This lets them see all the skills that are relevant while talking about your experiences

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Can't believe I can actually say this, but got the offer for Hogan Lovells' TC! Thank you to everyone on here for all the support and advice. I've been on this platform since 2020 and faced sooooo many rejections post-interview and post-VS. Never give up trying guys.

If anyone is applying to the firm, I'm more than happy to answer Qs and help where I can :)

lawyersum

Star Member
    Jun 28, 2024
    Can't believe I can actually say this, but got the offer for Hogan Lovells' TC! Thank you to everyone on here for all the support and advice. I've been on this platform since 2020 and faced sooooo many rejections post-interview and post-VS. Never give up trying guys.

If anyone is applying to the firm, I'm more than happy to answer Qs and help where I can :)
    Congrats!!!! This just gave me that extra bit of inspiration I've been needing lately :)

Reactions: Sharon Wu and VMS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is amazing news!! Congratulations!

Taylor Swift GIF by 2024 MTV Video Music Awards

Reactions: NMA

Kay Aston

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024

Congratulations @NMA - fantastic news 🚀

Reactions: Jaysen

Kay Aston

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024
    in the application to A&O Shearman should I connect each of my work experiences to A&O? Like saying how it would benefit me as a trainee in A&O or just how it would help me as a lawyer generally?
    Hi @saminoriya ! It is not necessary to directly spell out in each of your experiences how they would relate to A&O, but I would definitely be mindful of the qualities and values that A&O advertise that they are looking for in future trainees, and have these in mind while writing out your roles and responsibilities for each employment. Similarly, it is not necessary to say 'I do x and therefore this would make me a great lawyer because x', in the application form, the qualities that will make you a great lawyer will shine through from a well-drafted and thoughtfully written work experience section ✨

MCL

• Aug 14, 2024
    Hey, has anyone applied for the Freshfields winter scheme? I started researching and preparing my apps for this cycle today and saw that apparently Freshfields' winter deadline was yesterday? I thought the first deadline was Sidley Austin (tomorrow, 13th September).

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 18.02.49.png

Kay Aston

Star Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024
    Hello, I am trying to polish up my answer for the first video question (I can give an example of how I approached the experience section if anyone asks)
    The question is basically "Why do you want to be a commercial lawyer at x, and what qualities and skills do you require to be successful at this?"

ITS ONLY 2 MINUTES!
    My approach to the question is to break down the question into three sections

why commercial law?
    why x firm?
    what skills and how do i demonstrate them?
    The problem is that I only have time to go through this twice based on my script

eg GLOBAL SCOPE -> x's GLOBAL SCOPE -> SKILLS REQUIRED AND HOW I DEMONSTRATE RE. INNOVATION
    INNOVATION -> x's INNOVATION -> SKILLS REQUIRED AND HOW I DEMONSTRATE THEM RE. INNOVATION

I would just appreciate some pointers on the video section. I'm going to finish drafting the script tonight and then record it tomorrow; then repeat the process for the second question
    Hi @bollingdale ! I completed my fair share of video interviews, and found the hardest bit by a mile to be the time pressure! My advice would be (and it's easier said than done) to try not to say too much. In video interviews, you are being assessed on the content, but importantly you're also being assessed on your communication skills, how you speak and your non-verbal communications. If you try and make a million points and say it all really fast, it won't come across particularly well. So consider reducing your content, 2 minutes is enough time to make a compelling point about the 3 things you have outlined as long as you don't go into much detail. If you like, I am happy to take a look at your script if you DM it to me, and I can give you my thoughts about the level of detail?

bollingdale

Sep 12, 2024
    Hi @bollingdale ! I completed my fair share of video interviews, and found the hardest bit by a mile to be the time pressure! My advice would be (and it's easier said than done) to try not to say too much. In video interviews, you are being assessed on the content, but importantly you're also being assessed on your communication skills, how you speak and your non-verbal communications. If you try and make a million points and say it all really fast, it won't come across particularly well. So consider reducing your content, 2 minutes is enough time to make a compelling point about the 3 things you have outlined as long as you don't go into much detail. If you like, I am happy to take a look at your script if you DM it to me, and I can give you my thoughts about the level of detail?
    Thanks I’ll polish up what I have and send it through .you might be right, might only be able to focus on one of the points I run through. I’ll send it you later thanks so much.

I was wondering about sharing my experience section here. It might be helpful but I’m in an exam mindset where I’m paranoid recruiters won’t like to see “cheating”

Reactions: Kay Aston

User5678

Aug 16, 2024
    @Kay Aston
    I have recently just completed a placement scheme (1 year in my third year) at BCLP. I sat in their core real estate team for the year which is one of the strong sector of the firm. I am on track to receive a 2:1 at university.

I am looking to apply to more finance and private equity/m&a firms this year and I think my knowledge is limited in these sectors as compared to real estate and tax sectors.

Do you have any suggestions for me and are their any specific firms which you think I will have an upper hand applying to considering I have one year of legal experience and also a part time job at flex legal considering I am still facing rejections :(

Thank you in advance for helping

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.