• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
I'd definitely only have them as one entry if you are including them in a work experience section, but I think they are better suited to any careers events sections if there is one, or something like additional information sections.

If there is nowhere suitable to list them elsewhere in the application form, then include them in a work experience entry but as one entry,
Thank you very much!

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
How long do we have to complete the AO Shearman assessment after receiving it? Is it just by the WVS deadline on their website?
I cant remember the exact date, I think its 5 or 7 days. But it definitely isnt just by the application deadline.
I spoke to grad rec today, we just have to complete it by the application deadline

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    hey guys, for the HSF Social Mobility Open Day App, does our work experience have to be in chronological order starting with our most recent? They didn't say anything about this on their work experience section, I have my work experience down the other way around with my most recent at the bottom

Thom&as

Feb 27, 2024
    How long do we have to complete the AO Shearman assessment after receiving it? Is it just by the WVS deadline on their website?
    They said in one of their emails to me: "Shortly, you will receive a separate email containing a link to the interactive assessment, which you will be required to complete by the deadline (please check the website for specific application closing dates) ... Please note your application (including all online assessments) will need to be submitted by the deadline for this vacancy."

I don't see anywhere where it says it needs to be completed within 5 or 7 days.

Gg2001

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 26, 2024
    Sidley Austin VS apps open. Not to put anyone off applying at all, but I have looked through their trainees on LinkedIn and found only 2 of their 30 trainee cohort who attended state school (granted I probably didn't find everyone).

I don't understand why the likes of Legal Cheek don't look into this and report it.

People know privilege is bad at these US firms - but do they really know it is that bad?

90% Oxbridge too - with some LSE/Bristol and Notts/Exeter came up.
    It’s same for US and Magic Circle. Trainees on LinkedIn are either Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Kings, Warwick, Bristol. Some exceptions from other unis but that’s their main cohort.

Edgar_Santos

Aug 21, 2024
    Hey everyone I'm a 2nd year non-law student at a Russel Group uni. Excited to start this new chapter. Does anyone have advice on which firms I should prioritise when it comes to applying/absolute do's and dont's with applications?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! I have some questions about the written exercise, usually what kind of information should be included when we write the report?
    Hi there - it’s really difficult to give advice on this as it’s so dependent on the exercise.

Think more about:

- What’s the report’s purpose (eg informative, influencing, advising, a recommendation).

- Who is the report’s audience and what do they already know

- What is the key takeaway message you want your audience to remember and how can you ensure this message is super clear in your tone and structure of your writing.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Sidley Austin VS apps open. Not to put anyone off applying at all, but I have looked through their trainees on LinkedIn and found only 2 of their 30 trainee cohort who attended state school (granted I probably didn't find everyone).

I don't understand why the likes of Legal Cheek don't look into this and report it.

People know privilege is bad at these US firms - but do they really know it is that bad?

90% Oxbridge too - with some LSE/Bristol and Notts/Exeter came up.
    Legal Cheek do 'look into' it: https://www.legalcheek.com/firm/sidley-austin/.

'Universities Currrent Trainees Attended: Oxbridge 44%, Russell Group 47%; Other UK 3%, International 6%'

If we're going to quote statistics (which can and do put people offf applying) let's quote the real ones, shall we?

Mentally and Physically Exhausted Applicant

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 16, 2022
    How long does it take to improve in the Watson Glaser? I have to take one next Friday and am not doing well in the Inferences and assumptions sectionsiF

How long does it take to improve in the Watson Glaser? I have to take one next Friday and am not doing well in the Inferences and assumptions sections
    I'll be real it depends on how good you are to begin with. If you haven't been practising loads 1 week might not be enough. But if you practice long hours every day and give it your single focus, it's certainly possible. For future reference, you want to be practising 1-2 hours every day for months before you take a Watson Glazer test; it's not really something you can wing too often. hope that helps.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.