• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

jojo23

Sep 15, 2024
Hiya @jojo23 :)

I don’t think formal referencing (like Harvard style) is as crucial in this type of application question. What’s more important is to show that you’ve done your research and can back up your points with reliable sources. Simply mentioning the report and giving a rough idea of when it was published should be enough. I used this approach in my Ropes & Gray application during the 2022-23 cycle, where I was specifically discussing developments in data around retaining legal talent.
  • "In December 2023, The Lawyer published a report highlighting the significant increase in associate attrition. Similarly, a 2022 report from Thomson Reuters estimated that the loss of even a single associate could cost firms upwards of $400,000 USD."
I think keeping it brief while acknowledging where the information came from worked really well for me - and allowed me to use the word count more effectively.

When answering this type of question on innovation, I'd also recommend going beyond the usual discussions around AI and developments. Many applicants have a tendency to answer these sorts of questions in vague ways, often relying on resources or links that aren't very recent. Feel free to reach out if you’d like more specific examples or feedback!

Best of luck with the application!
Thank you, I appreciate it! I'm just in the process of doing research around it although, my go-to answer was ai related🤣

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
White and Case VI invite !! Not sure if it’s automatic or not , but I’ll take it😂 Any tips would be much appreciated!!

Howdy @thelawstudent2000!

Well done on getting through to the VI stage! I used to struggle quite a bit with VIs but the following threads really helped me improve with this part of the application stage. This first one is by the legendary user Alice G, and the second one is by the equally fab Erin. A lot of what they say in these threads will be relevant in helping you prepare for White & Case's VIs. Hopefully, you'll find them helpful too! Best of luck, and feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
If I send off my application for Hogan WVS, do you guys think it's rather late considering its rolling and the deadline is 31st October?

Hi @sufianwm101 :)

Many firms receive the majority of their applications around 2-3 weeks before the deadline, so you're definitely not alone in submitting at this stage. What matters most is whether you believe it's a strong application. If you think you could improve it further with just a bit more time, it might be worth considering applying for the spring or summer schemes instead. But if you feel it's as strong as it can be and you're confident in it, there's no harm in sending it through before the 31st October deadline. Trust your instincts! Best of luck with the application!

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
i applied for the hogan lovells life off on the 4th and haven’t received anything after, should i email or wait a bit?

Hiya @lolololol

I know the waiting process can feel a bit uncertain, but I’d suggest giving it a little more time, especially since it’s only been a couple of weeks since the 4th of October. Many firms take a bit longer to review applications, especially if there’s a large volume. If you haven’t heard back in another 2 weeks or so, it could be worth sending a polite follow-up email to check on the status of your application. Best of luck, and I hope you hear back soon!

Reactions: lolololol

IneedaTCASAP

Oct 14, 2024
W&C AC invite!!!!! really was not expecting that.
Well done.
I would assume this is a rejection for myself as I have not received a VI I applied 20/09.

Are people still receiving W&C VI? if so there is still hope.

Ashurst no reply post test 22/09 and people get interviews. The process is very cruel at times when they know they do not want to progress you yet leave you hanging.

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
Just building on what @Jessica Booker said in response. It’s great that you’re considering both the open day and the vac scheme! Your concern about potentially waiting a long time to hear back about the open day and the impact that might have on your vac scheme application also makes sense. Like Jess, though, I'd suggest waiting until you've made the open day application, especially if you feel that attending the open day will give you additional insights and help you strengthen your vacation scheme application.

Alternatively, I don’t think attending the open day is strictly necessary to write a compelling vac scheme application. If you've written strong, well-researched answers, there's no harm in applying for the vac scheme now. For context, when I was applying to Cooley, I was unsuccessful in securing an open day, but made it through to the vac scheme during the same application cycle. Whatever you decide, best of luck with both applications! Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions :)
@BonanzaBih_ Hey, I've quoted the above post from @Ram Sabaratnam about how he couldn't secure an open day but ended up getting a vac scheme at Cooley - hope this gives you some motivation!

EK_27

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2023
Bird & Bird Post WG PFO. Quite gutted as it was the only good piece of news I’ve had since starting this journey.

Does anyone have any good tips for tackling the WG? I’ve been practising but clearly not enough :(
Hi, I used this link someone posted last year.

I used this guide and found it helped me look at the test more holistically. It’s also helped with my critical thinking more broadly. I hope this helps. Otherwise loads of practise with Assessment Day or JobTestPrep.

Good luck!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.