• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thank you for all the helpful messages I'm receiving on the grades v extra-curriculars debate.

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker I'm interested please to hear your thoughts on this too please? Would I be disadvantaged if I talk about my role of responsibility as something I completed in the past?
I personally do not think you would be at all, as long as you manage to describe your experiences and the relevance of the skills you developed through them!

Reactions: addy2004

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Oprah Winfrey Car GIF

"and YOU get a discount!"

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Competency style questions are common in law firm interviews. What is the purpose behind them?

In a real life problem, I tend to tackle a problem based on the facts presented to me rather than think back to a time in the past I have faced a similar situation. I am sure that most lawyers will do the same in practice. In my opinion, it is unlikely that a trainee solicitor will think back to the time they worked well in a team or a time when they solved a complex problem if faced with a similar situation in practice.
I think that the purpose is to understand how someone deals with unprecedented circumstances/tasks/events which are very common in this industry, and it is paramount that you know how to conduct yourself even though you might not be served with the best cards.

I understand your confusion because I used to think the same when I was applying but retrospectively, I think it is a good way for them to test the maturity and self-confidence that a candidate have, as well as their resilience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.