• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
People that got accepted to Withers Interview/AC stage, which skills came out on top or did you not do so well in for the Cappfinity test?

Thanks!
I’m still waiting to hear but my top skills were detail and learning agility. I believe my “weakest” strength was initiative but that’s because I answered with their “collaborative”/teamwork culture in mind. What about you?

Last edited:

Lawyer500

Distinguished Member
Jan 24, 2024
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker, if you know that you’ve been offered a place at a firm because they rang you but they haven’t sent the offer letter in over 2 weeks - should I send a follow-up email/ring them? I have received another offer since and there is a small chance that the placements could clash if I don’t get my preferred choice of dates.

Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Anyone heard from Taylor Wessing post AC? Thumbs up for yes, down for no :)
hellooo, i have mine with them on the 14th March, and it was the last AC date so probably would make sense everyone hears back at the same time? Maybe this eases your mind a little haha ... How many people were on your AC if you dont mind me asking? Hoping it went all ok 🙏

Reactions: Sharon Wu

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
Hey guys,

Come here for abit of reassuring and support. Just had a VI which I wasn’t happy with.

What do you do when it’s a question you haven’t prepared for? Something you just simply did not see coming.

I refuse to accept someone can have every possible question ready. It just simply isn’t possible. It’s great when there’s a question you prepared for , or at least something you can weave a slightly different question into.

What are your go to moves when you’re faced with a question you just haven’t heard before? Something you just can’t find an example for in the 10 seconds or so you have to prepare.

It’s all well and good to say a few points, but 1-2 mins for an answer is a long long time. You can’t simply submit a quick 30 second answer.

Any ideas

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hey guys,

Come here for abit of reassuring and support. Just had a VI which I wasn’t happy with.

What do you do when it’s a question you haven’t prepared for? Something you just simply did not see coming.

I refuse to accept someone can have every possible question ready. It just simply isn’t possible. It’s great when there’s a question you prepared for , or at least something you can weave a slightly different question into.

What are your go to moves when you’re faced with a question you just haven’t heard before? Something you just can’t find an example for in the 10 seconds or so you have to prepare.

It’s all well and good to say a few points, but 1-2 mins for an answer is a long long time. You can’t simply submit a quick 30 second answer.

Any ideas
Hey!! My approach when I’m really at a loss is just pick and example I’ve already prepared for a different sort of question and make it as relevant as I possibly can by using signposting. For example, if for some reason I didn’t prepare an answer for problem solving and had never come across that q before but had one where I’ve shown team work, I would mould the team work example into problem solving. Obviously different when it’s a bit more specific like firm strategy, but even choosing the most random example for competency - at least you have something to say and don’t find yourself just staring blankly. I find that just maximises your chances even if you’re not happy with your answer. Not always ideal and the example doesn’t always fit - but at least it’s something! Could always throw in “I’ve never been in that situation before, but a similar experience I’ve been is is…” to make it seem a bit more fluid and less trying to pull something out of the bag. Ultimately you’re right - can’t prepare for everything and some things surprise you, so the best you can do sometimes it’s trying to adapt something you’ve already prepared if you feel very deer in the headlights (which I do often with VIs!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.