• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I feel like we are getting more messages from law firms saying they got unprecedented number of apps this cycle.
Travers Smith got over 2000 apps for summer vs, cooley had 70% increase, sidley saw an increase and pretty sure Akins in a similar situation.
Why is it getting more tougher each cycle😩
I am waiting for my Cooley rejection, they said that they would send their definitive response by the 25th.

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
I am waiting for my Cooley rejection, they said that they would send their definitive response by the 25th.
Actually they said:
Communication to candidates who are shortlisted to the next stage is anticipated to commence from Thursday 24 January 2024.
Updates to all candidates on final status is anticipated by Monday 5 February 2024

But i am waiting for my pfo as well😂
I also wish kirkland wc hl would give me pfo already.

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
Those who havent heard from latham for spring, can we assume rejection - given that they said we would hear back before the end of the month
It’s not end of the month just yet so I’d honestly just wait until 31st before making any assumptions. The only people who have heard are those who have done open days / first year schemes with the firm.

futuretrainee2025

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    To those who studied law, do you think you have an advantage in the application process? I've heard law as a degree and in practice is completely different. Just wondering whether any of you feel that has prepared you for apps in any way

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Actually they said:
    Communication to candidates who are shortlisted to the next stage is anticipated to commence from Thursday 24 January 2024.
    Updates to all candidates on final status is anticipated by Monday 5 February 2024

But i am waiting for my pfo as well😂
    I also wish kirkland wc hl would give me pfo already.
    I feel you mate!

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    To those who studied law, do you think you have an advantage in the application process? I've heard law as a degree and in practice is completely different. Just wondering whether any of you feel that has prepared you for apps in any way
    From my experience, I think the short answer is no and I wouldn’t bother looking too deep into this tbh. Writing an application for a law firm vs law essays are completely different. The former requires concise, tailored, succinct writing style and the latter requires a more detailed, analytical, comprehensive writing style. If anything, law students struggle to change their writing style and therefore struggle with applications. If I knew you didn’t need a law degree to get into commercial law, I would’ve probably done economics or business (would’ve helped me better with commercial awareness) or even a STEM degree (very helpful in niche areas of commercial law, like IP, life sciences, energy, etc)

D

Deleted member 32324

I feel like we are getting more messages from law firms saying they got unprecedented number of apps this cycle.
    Travers Smith got over 2000 apps for summer vs, cooley had 70% increase, sidley saw an increase and pretty sure Akins in a similar situation.
    Why is it getting more tougher each cycle😩
    Just focus on yourself and you'll get in. Remember 20-30% of apps are practically automatic fails due to bad grammar/spelling or wrong names. I wrote my greatest ever app and attended an Open Day for a US firm just to write another firm's name in by accident. That was an automatic PFO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.