• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
If you like a firm for a particular practice area, would it a mistake to mention it's "Band 2 ranking" on Chambers? A Band 2 is still obviously great but wondered if they'd think why you don't apply for a firm that has a Band 1 in that particular area?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you like a firm for a particular practice area, would it a mistake to mention it's "Band 2 ranking" on Chambers? A Band 2 is still obviously great but wondered if they'd think why you don't apply for a firm that has a Band 1 in that particular area?
It’s not really a matter whether they are band 1 or 2 (or even 3), but you’ve got to explain why these rankings are going to be important to you/your experience as a trainee.

Reactions: laby201

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Hi - that was me that deleted the post.

Unfortunately we do ask that video interview questions are not specifically shared on the forum - we can’t keep a track of which firms share video interview information or not, and so we just blanket remove it.

if they are asking you to talk about a location, it likely means the question is used across various TC locations and therefore they want you to explain why you are specifically interested/applying to that particular location.
But how come we are allowed to share AC interview questions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
But how come we are allowed to share AC interview questions?
Because they are unlikely to be a set of fixed questions with no follow up questions or interruptions and no fixed time allocation, that means the experience one interview candidate will have to the next is likely to be different.

While with a video interview it could be a standardised set of questions and times (and with no follow up questions/interruptions) meaning the process is much more standardised.

Reactions: lawapplicant

ErickLawson2020

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2023
Sorry Jessica - could you please approve my subscribed member status?
just signed up and would appreciate if I have access to the database, as I am crafting an application.

Sorry for the rush!
Because they are unlikely to be a set of fixed questions with no follow up questions or interruptions and no fixed time allocation, that means the experience one interview candidate will have to the next is likely to be different.

While with a video interview it could be a standardised set of questions and times (and with no follow up questions/interruptions) meaning the process is much more standardised.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry Jessica - could you please approve my subscribed member status?
just signed up and would appreciate if I have access to the database, as I am crafting an application.

Sorry for the rush!
Please can you PM me proof of purchase and I can process this (I don’t have access to our subscriptions purchasing system).

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If someone is constantly applying to W&C (VS 2023/ TC 2023 and now Spring VS 24) and I reached twice the VI stage. What can I really change in my cover letter to look as a better candidate. In this short time frame, the only change that happened in my life is a vacation scheme in a silver circle firm, and I already mentioned this in my application for the direct TC last year.
Any thoughts or probably I should forget about W&C ?
Thanks.
I think you can expand on things you have potentially done outside of university, whether it is a volunteering experience or a new sport and dive deeper into those. Additionally, you could also rephrase some of the sentences you have used in previous applications, this will allow you to construct new sentences without necessarily changing the content of what you are writing.

Something that might also work is you could decide to emphasise some of your experiences rather than others (that you have already expanded on in previous applications). This will give you an opportunity to produce new answers that might feel like you are writing a completely different applications, and potentially a better one too!

Reactions: Ghassen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.