• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it okay for me to have the same answer to an application question as last year? The question is 'what is your most ambitious achievement?'
I was and am really happy with my answer from last year, and can't think of anything better than that. The answer got me through to the vac scheme so I don't want to change it to an answer I don't like as much. However, I am worried that grad rec won't like to see the same answer. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!
I share the same opinion as @Jessica Booker here, re-writing the answer itself might be the best course of action. Just changing some verbs and sentence structures will go a long way and potentially make the answer sound completely different. You could also shed light on the same issue, from a different angle if that makes sense, and if your story allows for it.

Good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Stupid question but should i assume PFO for Stephenson Harwood seeing as their WVS starts on Monday haha

I got an email from them 20/11/23 asking to specify what scheme i wanted to be selected for as they had made an error when publishing, i stated winter only. I have not heard from them since... should i just assume PFO or maybe they're saving my application for Sping even though i didn't say that although i am not opposed to a spring date. Just a little annoying as i would like to update my application tracker but they're the only winter one i've not heard from lol
Hey @jplaw1010 @Legalstalker

I totally understand the frustration but always remember that if you do not see anyone posting about getting an offer for a firm, it does not mean people did not get them, so if the scheme starts on Monday and you still have not received an answer, I would probably consider it as a rejection, as hurtful as it is.

It is a bit frustrating not knowing until the end, or being kept in the dark, but do have in mind that law firms are very busy, especially this time of year so I would just take this rejection and focus on your next applications to other firms.

Good luck with the process!

Reactions: atlas2425

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
why does goodwin ask for details of other firms you are applying for? should i list all of them?
When I applied I listed some of them, but not all of them. Choose a criteria for this, it might be that you are applying to firms with a strong PE focus or strong tech focus, so mention those that fit this description!

Reactions: lawyerletsgo

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Considering that the deadline for the Bird & Bird vacation scheme is in a few days, is it still worth it to apply? I know the applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
I think it is always better to apply and let them reject you rather than rejecting yourself!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
A bit of a random question but would it be worth asking for an AC to be rescheduled as I have come down with a fever and my voice is nearly gone?
Firms are very understanding of this and if you feel like you will not be able to feel any better by resting before the assessment centre, then I think it would be worth contacting them and let them know and ask for the possibility of rescheduling.

However, I would still take into account that they might say no and so I would advise you to take care of yourself regardless and prepare like you would do the assessment centre at the established date since you never know what they might say.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with the assessment and get well soon!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

Marissa

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Jun 25, 2020
Did anyone who got a PFO from Hogan Lovells after AC for their WVS receive feedback from them? It’s been 2 weeks since I requested one and I haven’t heard nothing…

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I think it is always better to apply and let them reject you rather than rejecting yourself!
I agree completely with your point on rolling deadlines and you never know if you don't apply but in general, would you advise increasing your chances by putting energy into a firm with a rolling deadline further in the future or non-rolling if a rolling deadline is close? For instance, if I wanted to apply to Bird & Bird, but also wanted to apply to Dechert, whose rolling deadline is much further away, would you say it's smarter to go straight to Dechert as earlier application = higher chance of success? :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

dms21

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2023
Does anyone have the link to Reed Smith's firm profile on legal500? I'm trying to find out who their key clients are for each sector but can't seem to find it. Alternatively, if anyone knows where else I can look for a list of their clients can you please let me know. Thank you!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Does anyone know what the hogan lovells SVS application questions are? :)
    qs were:

1) a time where you showed innovative/ entreperunial spirit
    2) a time when you had to drop everything and really “raise your game” in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?
    3)Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and kmo20
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.