• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Has anyone submitted application to Sullivan Cromwell? Do you have any tips for the cover letter? Thanks in advance :)
I applied to them last year and some tips I got from future trainees was:
  • Use the why law, why the firm, why me structure for the cover letter and try to be succinct (aka one page for the cover letter). This will ensure that graduate recruitment already knows that you have some of the skills that will help you to thrive as a lawyer, i.e. attention to detail (as the cover letter as to be well-written, and conciseness).
  • Try to genuinely emphasise why the firm appeals to you: is it the general practice? is it the small trainee intake (which is around 5/6 each year), is it the work they do? their clients? Pick the factors that resonate with you and make sure to link them back to you. For instance, if you like the small trainee intake, I would make sure to stress how you potentially like to work in small environments as you find that these allow for a better learning opportunity and for building a good rapport with the leadership within the firm. It is important for you to find a link between the reason that you are mentioning and your interests/needs.
  • Academic excellence: the firm really values academic excellence and so this is a must. This means having exceptional grades and being at the top of your classes is something that it is highly regarded. If I were you, in the why me section of the cover letter, I would highlight all your scholarship/academic awards and prizes you have won and obtained to impress them.
I hope these helps and good luck with the application!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.