• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayek

Oct 11, 2023
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know whether the DLA Piper Watson Glaser is sent automatically to all applying candidates or whether you need to pass an initial screening to then be invited to complete it?
Hey! I don’t believe it is automatic this year.

Also, if anyone is wondering about WG results, I emailed DLA and was informed that they don’t provide assessment reports.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi I'm really interested in your News technique. Could you show and example of what that looks like?
Hey @chris2812morris,

So I used to have a template with the piece of news or information about the firm that I found interesting, let's say Latham's Africa practice and a new oil and gas deal made in South Africa for instance. Then I wrote, next to this information, my personal connection to this information that made me interested in the firm and that practice in the first place, in my case, the fact that I am originally from West Africa and I would love to work on deals linked to the African continent.

Does that make sense? It might not for some people but it was a good way for me to find a genuine link between the firm's specialities and my background, whether professional or personal.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Reactions: Jaysen and NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker Can I ask how to answer the questions like" summarize the prize, scholarships" on the application form? if I do not received any scholarship from a law firm, how can I answer that? Or can I write some awards from my community or any pro bono volunteer projects?
With this question I am pretty sure that the firm is not necessarily requiring to talk about the scholarship from the firm itself but any scholarship, award or prize you have won in your academic career!

I never received a scholarship from any firm so I always talked about the scholarships I received from my undergraduate degree and my master or any other award for extracurricular activities such as debate competition or sport events.

I hope that clears your doubt and good luck with the application cycle! @Cynthia14

TC seeker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    With this question I am pretty sure that the firm is not necessarily requiring to talk about the scholarship from the firm itself but any scholarship, award or prize you have won in your academic career!

I never received a scholarship from any firm so I always talked about the scholarships I received from my undergraduate degree and my master or any other award for extracurricular activities such as debate competition or sport events.

I hope that clears your doubt and good luck with the application cycle! @Cynthia14
    thanks for explanation!

Reactions: axelbeugre

catlover123

Star Member
    Oct 11, 2023
    Wait for the people who have done the NRF Articshore Test - did you guys also recieve feedback for the test cuz I didn’t. I swear with every test you complete with a law firm - you receive a feedback performance ???. FYI I did the AS test last week Monday and I haven’t heard back?
    You don't receive a feedback report on the AS test. During my telephone interview I asked for my score and they gave it to me then, but I'm sure you can email grad rec and they'll do the same.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Just to add to this @Cynthia14 it doesn’t need to be academic prizes either. It can be “employee of the month” awards or other things you have gained from work experience, hobbies, interests etc

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.