• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Congrats on getting to AC, I hope it went well! I have one coming up, any advice would be greatly appreciated, it’s my first one and I’m unsure what to prepare 😳
    Of course, as you may be aware there are three interviews: scenario based interview, case study interview and competency-based interview.
    Here are my top tips for each of them:

Scenario-based
    This is hard to prepare for as each partner gives candidates a situation related to a current case they’ve been working on, and thus it's specific to their area of expertise.
    I would say understand the general duties and responsibilities of solicitors across various practice areas. This will help in case you face a complex situation in the scenario-based interview.
    Ensure you understand the details of the hypothetical situation. If unsure, don't hesitate to ask clarifying questions.

Case-study
    - Brush up on foundational contract law concepts. Be familiar with how a contract looks like (Defined terms etc)
    - You will have to deliver a 10 mins presentation. Make sure you structure your presentation, even though you have a limited amount of time.
    - Approach the interview as if you are addressing the client directly.

3. Competency-based Interview:
    This is fairly straightforward to be honest. You can prepare for it - make sure you have the answers for why law and why HSF.
    Prepare stories to have specific examples ready for the most common competency questions. These should showcase your skills, experiences, and learnings in areas such as teamwork, overcoming challenges, and initiative.

Understand the distinguishing factors of HSF. When stating reasons or giving examples, be specific. Citing unique cases that the firm has been involved in or personal interactions you've had with firm trainees/associates can be powerful.

Hope this helps! :D When do you have your AC?

Kodak123

Esteemed Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    Hey - there should be a few comments here on TCLA providing details on the interview but at one of their open evening events, they said the interview is supposed to be a ~40 min chat with two (I think) lawyers in a pretty "relaxed" setting.
    1. The questions will mainly focus on your motivations, why JD and generally getting to know you better. Think of it as them trying to figure out if they could stand a 7-hour long car journey with you / do you have some interesting stories / can you keep up a conversation etc.
    2. They will ask a commercial awareness / technical question towards the end as well so prepare well for that. They are honest about drilling into the details here. My advice is -read up on news, find your market/ area of interest, check BCG/McKinsey/Bain reports, check Goldman Sachs/ Barclays other bank reports and also read up on law firm "insights". Try to cover a range of sources and gather perspectives from micro/macro levels - assess key players and direct/indirect implications of the trend for law firms (or even better, JD specifically). Sometimes, it helps to go back and forward between the types of sources - i find that news stories are more interesting after having looked through the consulting reports. Oh and investopedia. dont forget investopedia as a great source for explaining financial aspects.
    3. Finally, make sure you have prepared some questions for them towards the end of the chat. It can be about their roles / the firm / their views on any market trends. They mentioned a question they had liked which was pretty technical and challenging (candidate had asked a lawyer about his view on implications of Gary Gensler's (SEC Chair) efforts to increase regulatory scrutiny in a specific area - something along those lines).
    Good luck!
    Also, do you mind sharing details of when you applied / when you heard back? Is it for WVS?

Thanks
    Many thanks for this!! Really appreciated! I initially applied for the WVS on the 12th October and heard back from them today. But they said because they filled up spaces for interviews and ACs for their WVS, they were going to transfer my application to either Spring or Summer depending on my preference! hope that helps

Reactions: Nbs2023

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker, Im looking for some advice:

If a firm (SPB) gives two separate vac scheme dates and asks "select which one week placement would be more suitable for you", does that mean you will not be considered for the other week?

One of the weeks overlaps with the vac scheme of somewhere else I have applied to but I don't know if I will be offered that firm's vac scheme or not so I would prefer the week that doesn't overlap... but might be able to do either. Is it better to put that I am available for both then update them if the other firm gets back to me first? what if this firm responds first offering me that week, when the other firm doesn't offer more than one scheme? not saying I am arrogant enough to believe I will get both, I just don't want to prematurely close myself off to things. Or, should I select from the drop down menu that the other week is preferable, because they will consider everyone for both and just try to accommodate people's preferred week if they are successful?

TIA!
    As it says more suitable, I don’t think it’s an issue here and that ultimately you could move across to the other scheme, so just select the date that works best for you right now.

D

Deleted member 24543

Anyone know how long Kirkland's spring VS runs? I can't find any info anywhere, I don't need to know exact dates just need to know the duration as I'm going to be juggling studying for exams too.

Anyone also know if applying for a Kirkland Direct TC is beneficial at all? Some websites say they only look at TC applicants if and only if there are people who don't take the offer from the VS. How accurate is this?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @axelbeugre I have Gibson Dunn's first stage interview this week and was wondering if you had any tips or advice?
    Hey @taliagibson, first of all congratulations for obtaining a first round with Gibson Dunn, this is such an amazing achievement!
    In terms of tips, I would recommend:
    • Knowing your application inside and out: the first round was mainly motivations-based and getting to know you as a person so they will ask questions on the things you have mentioned in your application.
    • Have a clear reasons as to why you are interested in the firm and in commercial law. With this try to distinguish yourself from the masses and be as professional but also as personal as possible. For instance, I went in-depth as to why I wanted to be a commercial lawyer ever since I was helping my mother with her small business and the difficulty of that, linking it back to an experience I had at an EU organisation. I think these kind of answers allow graduate recruitment to not only see you as a candidate but to see you as an interesting person.
    • Be yourself. As the first interview is with graduate recruitment, it is quintessential to be yourself and be as enthusiastic as you can be. I laughed all throughout my interview and it made it very chill and engaging not only for me but for graduate recruitment.
    Good luck with it and I am sure you'll smash it!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Anyone know how long Kirkland's spring VS runs? I can't find any info anywhere, I don't need to know exact dates just need to know the duration as I'm going to be juggling studying for exams too.

Anyone also know if applying for a Kirkland Direct TC is beneficial at all? Some websites say they only look at TC applicants if and only if there are people who don't take the offer from the VS. How accurate is this?
    Recently K&E have not been running their schemes as they directly offered TCs to everyone who applied for a vacation scheme. I am no sure as to whether they will be doing the same this year though!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker, Im looking for some advice:

If a firm (SPB) gives two separate vac scheme dates and asks "select which one week placement would be more suitable for you", does that mean you will not be considered for the other week?

One of the weeks overlaps with the vac scheme of somewhere else I have applied to but I don't know if I will be offered that firm's vac scheme or not so I would prefer the week that doesn't overlap... but might be able to do either. Is it better to put that I am available for both then update them if the other firm gets back to me first? what if this firm responds first offering me that week, when the other firm doesn't offer more than one scheme? not saying I am arrogant enough to believe I will get both, I just don't want to prematurely close myself off to things. Or, should I select from the drop down menu that the other week is preferable, because they will consider everyone for both and just try to accommodate people's preferred week if they are successful?

TIA!
    I agree with @Jessica Booker on this one, select the one that is more convenient to you and later you can ask them if you can be put into the other week if necessary. Law firms are pretty flexibly (usually) when it comes to moving vacation scheme offer holders to the scheme that best suits them so I would not worry at this stage! Good luck with the applications!

Reactions: LawEnthus

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @axelbeugre do you have any advice for NRF's Telephone Interview?
    Hey @iwillbecomeats, first of all congrats in getting a telephone interview with them!
    In terms of general tips for telephone interviews I would say:
    1. Research the firm:
      • Before the interview, thoroughly research the firm. Understand their practice areas, culture, recent deals or cases, and any notable achievements. This knowledge will demonstrate your genuine interest in the firm.
    2. Review your application:
      • Revisit your application materials, including your resume and cover letter, your answers to application questions. This is to ensure you can speak confidently about your qualifications and experiences. Be prepared to discuss anything on your resume in detail.
    3. Prepare for common questions:
      • Be ready to answer questions about your background, why you want to work at the firm, and why you want to pursue a career in law. Practice concise, clear responses.
    4. Competency-based questions:
      • Expect questions that assess your competencies and skills, such as teamwork, problem-solving, leadership, and communication. Use the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to structure your responses. Again, being clear and concise, especially on the phone, is quintessential!
    5. Commercial awareness:
      • Stay informed about current legal developments and major business news. Discuss any relevant legal or business topics during the interview if that comes up and particularly mention any recent developments happening with the firm.
    6. Practice for the phone interview:
      • Conduct a mock interview with a friend or mentor over the phone to get comfortable with the format and reduce nervousness. This will help you massively in understanding how to behave during the real interview!
    7. Prepare questions:
      • Have thoughtful questions to ask the interviewer. Inquire about the firm's culture, the types of cases they handle, opportunities for professional development, and any recent developments within the firm. These can be asked at the end of the interview.
    8. Listen actively:
      • Pay close attention to the interviewer's questions and comments. Speak clearly and concisely. Avoid interrupting the interviewer and make sure your responses address their questions.
    9. Show enthusiasm:
      • Show genuine enthusiasm for the role and the firm. Convey your excitement for the opportunity. This will differentiate you from other people as it will make the experience for graduate recruitment easier and fun so definitely make sure to sound enthusiastic and smile a lot even though they cannot see you.
    Congratulations again and good luck with it!

BlueMoon

Standard Member
    Oct 18, 2023
    Is anyone having issues with the Vantage platform when completing applications - for about a week it has been telling me there is an error and I need to contact the Rare account manager. I have reached out to the firm using vantage for their application (Stepson Harwood), Vantage and rare recruitment but have heard nothing back which means I have spent a load of time on an application I can't submit and have now missed the WVS deadline for! Have tried rebooting laptop, using a different laptop, and using both chrome and safari so I'm at a complete loss. Anyone have any advice? TIA :)

AlfredH1031

Jan 31, 2023
    Hi Talia, when did you apply?

I applied on 18/10 and am yet to hear back, so just trying to get an idea of timescales!
    I am not Talia but I think we are in the same situation.

I have applied on October 2 but I still yet to hear from them.

Perhaps GDC is reviewing applications on a monthly basis? I am just guessing so take my words with a grain of salt.

Reactions: sxw517

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Is anyone having issues with the Vantage platform when completing applications - for about a week it has been telling me there is an error and I need to contact the Rare account manager. I have reached out to the firm using vantage for their application (Stepson Harwood), Vantage and rare recruitment but have heard nothing back which means I have spent a load of time on an application I can't submit and have now missed the WVS deadline for! Have tried rebooting laptop, using a different laptop, and using both chrome and safari so I'm at a complete loss. Anyone have any advice? TIA :)
    The deadline is today though..?

Lawlawlawlaw

Standard Member
    Oct 23, 2023
    Of course, as you may be aware there are three interviews: scenario based interview, case study interview and competency-based interview.
    Here are my top tips for each of them:

Scenario-based
    This is hard to prepare for as each partner gives candidates a situation related to a current case they’ve been working on, and thus it's specific to their area of expertise.
    I would say understand the general duties and responsibilities of solicitors across various practice areas. This will help in case you face a complex situation in the scenario-based interview.
    Ensure you understand the details of the hypothetical situation. If unsure, don't hesitate to ask clarifying questions.

Case-study
    - Brush up on foundational contract law concepts. Be familiar with how a contract looks like (Defined terms etc)
    - You will have to deliver a 10 mins presentation. Make sure you structure your presentation, even though you have a limited amount of time.
    - Approach the interview as if you are addressing the client directly.

3. Competency-based Interview:
    This is fairly straightforward to be honest. You can prepare for it - make sure you have the answers for why law and why HSF.
    Prepare stories to have specific examples ready for the most common competency questions. These should showcase your skills, experiences, and learnings in areas such as teamwork, overcoming challenges, and initiative.

Understand the distinguishing factors of HSF. When stating reasons or giving examples, be specific. Citing unique cases that the firm has been involved in or personal interactions you've had with firm trainees/associates can be powerful.

Hope this helps! :D When do you have your AC?
    Thank you so much for this!! I’m a non-law undergrad & this has been quite a learning curve - AC in Nov so at least I have some time to prep 😊

• 🤝
    Reactions: bella98
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.