• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS21

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
I don't have a calculator either except for my phone, so whenever I do an assessment that needs it and the camera is on, at the start I show the camera that my phone is being used as a calculator, so that if they call me out on cheating, I can ask them to look at the footage and they will see. I'm probs being paranoid but it makes me feel better
Fairs thank you, I've just ordered a calculator rn so I don't have to worry about it haha

Reactions: 19.mfjones

SR99

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    Is it okay to say in an app that a firm was ranked Tier 2 in a practice area by Legal500? Or should we only mention when they are ranked Tier 1?

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Is it okay to say in an app that a firm was ranked Tier 2 in a practice area by Legal500? Or should we only mention when they are ranked Tier 1?

Hey! Just to quote on what Jessica said, of course you can, as long as you can substantiate your reasoning behind citing it :)

It’s not really a matter whether they are band 1 or 2 (or even 3), but you’ve got to explain why these rankings are going to be important to you/your experience as a trainee.

My first thought is whether the ranking is really adding anything to the point you are making? If you are applying to the London office and it has a lower ranking, can you just not focus on your interests in this work and they type of work the London office does without the reference to the ranking?

Reactions: SR99

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Hey guys, I need urgent help with the Fieldfisher application (I know, I know, I am very last minute) ‼️

For their motivation questions, does anyone have any insight?

Specifically:

1. How long should my answers be
    2. How should I structure my answer to this: "Please provide us with more details of your achievements, scholarships, positions of responsibility, insight schemes, open days and virtual work experience opportunities, extra-curricular activities and everything else that interests you *"? It seems horribly broad to try to answer 😅

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Akin Gump PFO post-test, Skadden PFO, Weil PFO post-application, Linklaters PFO after getting 93rd percentile on Watson Glaser and Willkie PFO post-application OMG can law firms give me a break today please no more PFO's today.
    93rd percentile?? gosh I don't even have a chance with my 78th percentile lol... any advice on how to do better at the WG?

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 7, 2023
    Does anyone have any resources / websites I could use to familiarise myself with balance sheets? Do you usually need a strong understanding of these for ACs?
    I don't want to say this applies to all firms. But I think that 1) we are not applying for a banker job so the emphasis on balance sheet wouldn't be that much. 2) from my experience, e.g, if you are applying to a finance-focus law firm, they would like to see if you know what type of financing are there and the justification for each type... Or it could be whether if you understand the structure of an M&A, or understanding of the firm as a business... but trust me, in my past experience with CC, there was no balance sheet at all

Reactions: Sharon Wu and WN20
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.