• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

F a v o u r

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 4, 2021
    I personally wouldn’t prioritise putting them in work experience as they aren’t really work experience (you don’t work when you are on them), and they are only one day.

Depending on the rest of the application form though, there may not be anywhere else to include them. In these instances, some people group them together along with virtual programmes and put them as one entry. The only time I would potentially think about highlighting it separately is if you attended a programme run by the firm you are applying to, but even then that isn’t always necessary because they know you attended the event!
    Thank you!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently drafting my answer for a vs application, Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career as a solicitor and what has attracted you to the firm? The limit is 250 words. How many reasons should I include as to why this firm? What's the perfect number? Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I am currently drafting my answer for a vs application, Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career as a solicitor and what has attracted you to the firm? The limit is 250 words. How many reasons should I include as to why this firm? What's the perfect number? Thank you in advance.
    There won’t be a perfect number - it’s really going to come down to your reasons and description, along with how you can leverage other evidence in other parts of your application Naturally you are going to need to be quite focused/concise given the right word limit, but I wouldn’t fixate on the number of points, more about what you think is relevant to include.

Reactions: Sharon Wu and S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    There won’t be a perfect number - it’s really going to come down to your reasons and description, along with how you can leverage other evidence in other parts of your application Naturally you are going to need to be quite focused/concise given the right word limit, but I wouldn’t fixate on the number of points, more about what you think is relevant to include.
    Thank you so much @Jessica Booker

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 8, 2023
    hi for applications like kirkland where you're limited to four work experiences, is it better to choose the four that link closest to commercial law? or four that show that i am well rounded? or the four most recent? im not sure what the best approach is! @Jessica Booker

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    In my answer for why commercial law, I discussed experiences working with commercial lawyers from two different law firms and then I discuss what I did during this experience plus motivations for a career in commercial law.

I am thinking back on it and wondering if I should remove the references to the two law firms and instead talk about the practice areas these commercial lawyers worked in.

Would you agree that this will make a difference or is there no need?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi for applications like kirkland where you're limited to four work experiences, is it better to choose the four that link closest to commercial law? or four that show that i am well rounded? or the four most recent? im not sure what the best approach is! @Jessica Booker
    I would take into account all of those aspects and consider collectively what are the entries that reflect the best combination of most closely linked to commercial law, biggest commitment, developed you the most, and what is most recent.

Reactions: yeezyee
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.