• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Just an fyi for anyone looking to apply to BCLP, I went to their open day recently and according to current trainees the firm has gone downhill massively in the last few years. Profits per partner down significantly and only 2 NQ jobs offered for over 25 trainees… now I know why they’re not transparent about their retention rates.
This is quite interesting - did a trainee at the open day tell you this? Guessing this was during informal networking after - they would hardly tell you this during a presentation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was told the max turnaround for feedback post AC was 2 weeks following my rejection, ive emailed twice and its now been a month. Is it acceptable to call the firm's office to ask?
You can call, although you might want to wait until the 2 or 3 January when most people will be back from the festive break.

Reactions: Apple

lawyergirl

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Talks/presentations, maybe an interactive exercise or mock case study, panel Q&A sessions, networking lunches, recruitment advice sessions.
Panelist sessions, application tips / masterclass, office tours, trainee Q&A’s, case study workshops, lunch + networking, presentations from Partners, etc.
Thanks both!

SR99

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    Hi all! For the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme App question:

Tell us about yourself​

Please use this section to tell us anything else that you feel would support your application. Examples can include, but are not limited to, key achievements, successes, non-academic interests, your skills etc.
    Max 300 words

How should we structure this? How many examples should we give? Is there a specific type of example they are really looking for?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all! For the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme App question:

Tell us about yourself​

Please use this section to tell us anything else that you feel would support your application. Examples can include, but are not limited to, key achievements, successes, non-academic interests, your skills etc.
    Max 300 words

How should we structure this? How many examples should we give? Is there a specific type of example they are really looking for?
    There aren’t specific examples but you may want to think about what examples you have that fit more closely fit the values or qualities that the firm looks for in its trainees/lawyers.

I would try to get as much variety in as possible whilst making sure you are really highlighting the achievements and responsibilities you have had.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.