• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
Don't worry you lose some and gain some think about getting that dream call and take a break this evening it might helpful.
Thats rough, and rejections after getting so far through the process always seem to hurt a bit more than that early post app PFO. Make sure you take some time to be kind to yourself and take pride in the fact that you got so far and are an in demand candidate as you have another AC lined up already! Perhaps it could be a motivator leading you to perform even better in tomorrows AC as you don't have the other role as a back up anymore.
Hi, I know this sounds cliche but it really does just take that one phone call. Once you get that one offer, your entire attitude towards interviews, AC rejections etc changes. I did like 6-7 ACs before getting any success and it really tanked my confidence, until I got the call a few hours after my GDC final round. A few days later, I got rejected from Weil post AC, but my attitude towards rejection became much more "positive" (for lack of better words). My focus really shifted away from self-criticism and towards seeking feedback ASAP, reflecting on whether the firm was really right for me etc. So please do keep persisting - don't let the rejection affect your AC tomorrow.

If I may ask, which firm interviewed you? And are you by any chance on the Baker McKenzie AC tomorrow? If you are, then I'll see you there!
Thank you all for your words of encouragement, I really appreciate how supportive people on the forum have been. @M777 yes, I'll be on the Baker McKenzie AC tomorrow, see you there!

Lilz

Esteemed Member
Dec 16, 2020
I think Gateley give everyone the interactive Assesment (I think it’s automatic) so I think try your best on this and maybe if it’s strong enough they may consider you!

more devastating when you realise an error in spelling I am someone who did 2 spelling mistakes in one of my applications last year and made it to AC for one firm but the spelling error wasn’t the firms name, I hope your okay please don’t feel disheartened by the error xx
Thankyou so much for your support!

• Love
Reactions: Legalmel_99

Lilz

Esteemed Member
Dec 16, 2020
Has anyone done the Gateley interactive assessment? It says it takes 45 mins to do the whole thing, is that inclusive of the interview too?
Also, does anyone know if the questions are firm related, or more competency based ones? Any help would be appreciated! Thankyou!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do you think it’s still worth applying to Gibson if their app deadline tommorow and it’s rolling?
If you like the firm, I would still apply. With only roughly 13 trainee spots, I would expect most of their TCs are recruited through vac schemes given those numbers.

In fact, their Chambers Student Guide profile says; "Training contract deadline: Recruits exclusively through vac scheme"

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This is not an application related but is it only me or anyone else finding the forum slow today when posting or reacting to posts. As I have been finding the loading stuff on the forum really slow today compared to usual.
    Hey Asil,

Could you PM me with a little more detail about the problems you are experiencing and I’ll look into this?

Reactions: GXA123

JD

Distinguished Member
    May 1, 2020
    If you like the firm, I would still apply. With only roughly 13 trainee spots, I would expect most of their TCs are recruited through vac schemes given those numbers.

In fact, their Chambers Student Guide profile says; "Training contract deadline: Recruits exclusively through vac scheme"
    Thank you Jessica! I was just a bit hesitant because they are rolling so could be plucking at straws since I’ll be applying so late

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica! I was just a bit hesitant because they are rolling so could be plucking at straws since I’ll be applying so late
    You’ve got to be in it to win it. Not applying means the earliest chance you’ll have is in 10-11 months time and that won't be for something that starts until the summer of next year (nearly an 18 month wait!).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.