• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
Might be a stupid worry, but I’ve heard Slaughters really care about typos. I’ve just realised that my cover letter doesn’t have a full stop on the final sentence!
Has anyone ever received an interview despite small typos?
Not for Slaughters but I have had a CV that had two small grammar errors (missed an 'of' between two words and had a comma in the wrong place) I still got a Vac scheme and a final interview with it. I think we all think they pay more attention than they actually do; I spoke to a recruiter for a large firm and she said she can only really spend a minute or two on it depending on how many applications they have to look at. So they really might not notice if it is hidden at the end of a sentence.

Reactions: Quistclose

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Two things I learned recently that I feel will benefit some people here:

1. If you have ever applied to Slaughter and May via the direct TC route and didn't get an interview invite, don't bother applying again unless there's something majorly different about your application. This was one of their FAQs.

2. If you are a qualified lawyer outside of the UK, even if you have just graduated/cleared the bar exam in your home country, you cannot apply to Macfarlanes via the direct TC route. Again, this was one of their FAQs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.