• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Spontaneous TC Journey

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    End of the week update ✨:

1 vacation scheme application submitted
    2 vacation scheme online assessment completed

2 graduate job applications submitted
    1 graduate job online assessment completed
    1 graduate job video interview completed

Stats:
    VS applications submitted - 6
    VS applications rejected - 1
    Open day applications submitted - 4
    Open day applications rejected - 1

First VS PFO of the cycle 😅 shocked but not surprised 😄
    I didn’t complete my to do list for this week but it’s okay as I can’t do them all. I submitted a summer VS application wasn’t part of the plan but happy with the outcome. I’m soo proud of myself for completing 6 VS applications within a month and not overdoing it. If I used the same strategy as last year I probably would’ve had 5 rejections already 😂

I’ve had an insane amount of people asking for Willkie VI tips not sure how many VI invites were given on Friday but they’ve all somehow ended up in my inbox 😂😂

Next weeks aim:
    - simplify and print off PE terms to stick on my desk/wall maybe even my bathroom mirror (I will learn every term by force!!)
    - learn how best to structure advice letters and print off a template?
    - Apply to 1 vacation scheme
    - Apply to 1 open day
    - Apply to 1 training contract
    - complete 1 graduate job VI

Another aim of mines is to apply to firm specific application workshops there’s 1 firm in particular that has my eye and I’m praying my engagement with the firms pays off :)

Not sure I’ll hear back regarding any VS applications next week as it’s still early days. Optimism is still high and hoping to keep it this way throughout the cycle

Good luck to everyone reading this whether that be doing applications, reviewing applications or starting your PGDL/SQE! x

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    End of the week update ✨:

1 open day application submitted

1 vacation scheme application submitted

1 graduate job video interview completed

Stats:
    VS applications submitted - 7
    VS applications rejected - 1
    Open day applications submitted - 5
    Open day applications rejected - 1

I have no plans to submit anything else this week so thought I’d share my end of week update a day early!

I felt that doing a TC application in addition to the others would be very rushed so decided to not do it. I have one winter VS application left to submit and all my winter applications will be complete.

I’ve had a brief look at a few firms I want to apply to for spring/summer and many are rolling which is a change to last year when they were non-rolling 😭 I had no clue so I am kinda behind on those but hope to churn out a few apps next week.

In regards to next week I’ll be on holiday!! Exciting yes but the wrong timing lmao. I will say I have perfected my why law, why commercial law, tell me a commercial news story, extra curricular/role of responsibility and what skills do you have paragraphs so it’s just focusing on the why firm sections hoping this shouldn’t take me more than a few days of research mixed in with webinars to submit these.

I may not apply to anymore open days as I really do not have the time to commit to these seeing as majority are in November I can’t get that much time off and most of the firms are rolling with open days 2 weeks before the deadline like the logic is not adding up😭

I did print out the PE and M&A terms and will stick them on my rooms walls, I’ve also looked at case studies and how I’d explain these terms and why they’d be important for investors. I think written exercises are my weakness as I can say my point but writing is another story, not sure how to improve that as my top firm choice requires a written exercise 🥲

I went to a firm webinar this week feeling super proud of myself!

Low key fed up of the constant messages regarding Willkie and Simmons. I understand I’ve progressed to VI and AC for both firms but gosh it’s tiring getting the same messages at least offer something in return😂 last cycle I gave tips to others and 6 ended up getting a TC’s, when will it be me lmao🥲

I’m happy to help if I’m not applying to said firm but do not message me regarding Willkie please. Also manners are free saying please and thank you go a long way 😁

Next weeks aim:
    - Apply to 1 vacation scheme (application is half complete)
    - Apply to 1 training contract
    - Complete Vacation Scheme Test/VI
    - Learn How to structure letter of advice
    - WG for Vacation Scheme

Next week I’m hoping to hear back from 2/3 firms regarding my vacation scheme application and 1 for an open day. Soo scary as I really don’t want a PFO🥲 I keep analysing my test scores trying to make out if they’re good enough 😅

EDIT: I have just received a WG invite!!!😂😂😂 I’m happy of course as I passed the application stage but a Saturday?!? Give that grad rec a medal 🥇

Another week another survival from the PFO’s, until next time, have a lovely weekend :)

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.