• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

jojo23

Sep 15, 2024
"Describe how you think the innovative developments taking place in the legal industry will change the role of a commercial lawyer at Dentons. Please outline your research and reference the sources you used to inform your opinion." - in what way should we reference or outline sources? I was thinking Harvard style?

buibuui

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2022
Hey Guys,

Anyone know whether Gowling has stopped doing summer vac schemes in London this year ? Seems only the schemes for Birmingham and direct TC apps for London have opened. Seems a bit odd that London vac scheme apps would open much later.

Thanks !!
Hey, I was in their application tips event yesterday. Yes, they have stopped the London vac scheme this year due to not enough demand. Only direct TC for London this cycle!

Reactions: theone132213

KBanana

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2023
@lawyersum

Hi, it doesn't seem like anyone else has replied to this :(

As someone who has a pretty high success rate with SJTs (let's hope I don't jinx), this is what I do:

- Do not answer honestly. This is the worst piece of guidance you could follow. SJTs are meant to be hard, you are meant to think about your answer in relation to the competencies and values of the firm you are applying to. This requires strategy, critical thinking and application. Thankfully, most situational judgement tests are untimed, so you have the time to really sit and think about the best option. If you really care about the firm, you will put in the effort.

- Following from above, there have often been times where I have personally disagreed with the answer I have given, but am confident that it is exactly what the firm is looking for having matched the options against the firm's competencies. My second tip is to have these values / competencies written out for you to easily refer to throughout the test, as well as the definitions. Knowing what each competency / value actually means is so important. For example, there is a difference between being a collaborator and being a team player. Search up each of the terms, write a definition and even ask chat gpt how to demonstrate the competency. This will help you to distinguish between the nuances of each competency / value so that you are choosing the best suited option (may also help when determining whether an extreme option is appropriate).

- Lastly, act on feedback. For example, I bombed the SJT of the first firm that I applied to. The next year, I read through the feedback report, identified the exact areas I needed to work on and used them as guidance for this years application, where I scored much higher on every single category.

SJTs are something that you need to prepare well for and be smart about. Of course what works for me may not work for you, but hopefully this helps😊
I really appreciate your response and especially find your second tip about writing out the definitions/ asking chat for examples useful. I will definitely implement this in my approach from now on. Thank you very much!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Has anybody applied to RWK Goodman? If so could you tell me the email address for grad recruitment? I can’t submit my app because I need to verify my email address, but when I request a link to do so I never receive one through the automated system setup.

Hiya @Aspiringsolicitor01

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the system - sounds annoying to say the least! I've just taken a quick look at their recruitment page and if you're still having issues receiving the verification email, I think you can reach out to RWK Goodman’s Careers team directly at [email protected]. They should be able to assist you with the problem.

Best of luck with your application!

Hiya @Aspiringsolicitor01

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the system - sounds annoying to say the least! I've just taken a quick look at their recruitment page and if you're still having issues receiving the verification email, I think you can reach out to RWK Goodman’s Careers team directly at [email protected]. They should be able to assist you with the problem.

Best of luck with your application!
Thanks Ram, I also found the email on their page after a while of searching.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Anyone have any tips on key areas to discuss for Freshfields personal statement. Am thinking of focusing on (1) cross-border expertise with focus on success in US market, (2) cross-functionality of corporate and litigation practices, and (3) uniqueness of training programme?

Hi @DulyDiligent

I think you're definitely heading in the right direction with the points you've chosen. I think to really elevate your discussion of these answers, it's important to be as specific as possible. This will be important in helping you differentiate Freshfields from, say, Clifford Chance.

For example, when discussing their cross-border expertise and success in the US market, try to highlight how Freshfields sets itself apart from other firms like Clifford Chance, which also have a strong cross-border presence and have made strong inroads in the US. What has made Freshfields distinctive in this respect and why is that motivating your application? I think this level of detail will help your personal statement stand out by showing that you can distinguish between firms in more nuanced ways. Similar points apply when discussing the cross-functionality of the corporate and litigation practices, as well as the firm's training programme (obviously on the last point you can mention the 8-seat training contract and other USPs).

Additionally, you might want to check out an article/podcast in The Lawyer from this week, which touches on Freshfields' position compared to its competitors. I think it could be helpful in allowing you to frame more nuanced points into your personal statement!

Good luck!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
"Describe how you think the innovative developments taking place in the legal industry will change the role of a commercial lawyer at Dentons. Please outline your research and reference the sources you used to inform your opinion." - in what way should we reference or outline sources? I was thinking Harvard style?

Hiya @jojo23 :)

I don’t think formal referencing (like Harvard style) is as crucial in this type of application question. What’s more important is to show that you’ve done your research and can back up your points with reliable sources. Simply mentioning the report and giving a rough idea of when it was published should be enough. I used this approach in my Ropes & Gray application during the 2022-23 cycle, where I was specifically discussing data around retaining legal talent.
  • "In December 2023, The Lawyer published a report highlighting the significant increase in associate attrition. Similarly, a 2022 report from Thomson Reuters estimated that the loss of even a single associate could cost firms upwards of $400,000 USD."
I think keeping it brief while acknowledging where the information came from worked really well for me - and allowed me to use the word count more effectively.

When answering this type of question on innovation, I'd also recommend going beyond the usual discussions around AI and developments. Many applicants have a tendency to answer these sorts of questions in vague ways, often relying on resources or links that aren't very recent. Feel free to reach out if you’d like more specific examples or feedback!

Best of luck with the application!

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.