TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

SamiyaJ

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
100% unlikely - someone will mess up. Slaughters’ Easter scheme may have changed. I appreciate people’s feedback on here. I’m not in a good place. This forum is very useful honestly.
I’m sorry to hear this. I don’t mean to go all therapist on you and I am sure you hear this all the time but you’ve come so far. You have great accomplishments- 4 vacation schemes?! Incredible. Teach me how to even get a VI please 😂 Your feelings are valid but remember why you’re doing all this. Keep going, it’s going to happen!!!

icebear

Star Member
Nov 10, 2023
Hi @icebear

Completely appreciate the challenges of answering a question like this. As @Andrei Radu mentioned, you could definitely take either approach. However, I'd recommend trying to discuss current challenges in a way that is really bespoke or tailored to the firm. Having briefly researched the firm, it appears they have a strong reputation in sectors such as infrastructure and agriculture/rural affairs. They also seem to have a great regional presence alongside their place in London. I think finding news stories/challenges that are likely to be faced by a firm with similar features could making for a convincing answer. I've mentioned some challenges below (including links where appropriate) that you might want to consider.

One issue/challenge you could consider are some ongoing delays in major projects. The UK government recently established the National Infrastructure and Service Transformation Authority (NISTA) to address these delays, which have been increasing costs and causing significant uncertainty for investors. Pinsent Masons recently did an excellent summary of how these changes are likely to affect firms and their clients here, which I'd encourage you to give a brief look at. Additionally, you could discuss the rising cost of construction materials and labour shortages are pushing project costs up or Government Investment and the Levelling Up Agenda which are all very current issues that pose a mixture of opportunities and challenges for clients at firms such as Michemores.

Given the firm's strong regional presence, you might also want to tie an issue back to this aspect of the firm. For instance, EY did this really interesting report here about how significant government variation in spending is affecting projects and infrastructure issues differently in various parts of the country. This creates a unique set of challenges, especially for rural and regional businesses that Michelmores is deeply connected to through its offices in cities such as Bristol, Cheltenham and Exeter. The firm could be particularly well-placed to help clients navigate these sorts of more "current" challenges.

Again, these are just suggestions. But you can consider framing your answer by highlighting Michelmores' strong reputation in key sectors, such as infrastructure, while also emphasising its unique national footprint. By tying the answer to Michelmores' strengths in specific areas, like their work with clients in rural regions, you can make your response more tailored to the firm.

Good luck with your application!
Wow that's super detailed and gave me a lot of insight - thanks so much for this!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I’m sorry to hear this. I don’t mean to go all therapist on you and I am sure you hear this all the time but you’ve come so far. You have great accomplishments- 4 vacation schemes?! Incredible. Teach me how to even get a VI please 😂 Your feelings are valid but remember why you’re doing all this. Keep going, it’s going to happen!!!
It doesn’t feel like that honestly. Just rejection so far this cycle. No open days no ACs nothing.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu and SamiyaJ

icebear

Star Member
Nov 10, 2023
I don't think any approach is right or wrong - you can definitely write a good answer with both. However, since the question is framed in terms of the "biggest" challenges, I would try to identify what challenges seem to me to (i) impact clients most heavily (so ask yourself which of the challenges you are writing about has the potential to impact the clients most heavily, and consider how high the likelihood of that impact occurring is) and (ii) impacts as many of the firm's major clients as possible.

I think you would want to discuss the stories whose impact ranking is the highest in both of the aforementioned criteria. However, of course there is no objective way to determine this and your judgement will be partly just based on your intuition. This is why in practice you do have a lot of flexibility in choice of topic. What matters more is being able to provide cogent argument as to why the challenge you identified is particularly impactful.
Thanks Andrei, that's super duper helpful!

Reactions: Andrei Radu

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Hi @NJS! I think discussing your vacation schemes experiences is a great way to improve on you previous answers. I think too many people are weary of talking about their past VS experience because they are afraid that it is a bad look that they failed to convert. However, as recruiters are well aware, there are many factors going into the final outcome of a vacation scheme beyond performance, and at any rate, by simply getting there you have demonstrated to be an exceptionally strong candidate.

As such, I do not only think there is no issue with discussing a prior VS. I think not discussing it would be a significant mistake. Mentioning these VS experiences will make many recruiters take your application a lot more seriously and will likely substantial increase your chances of progressing. From personal experience I can also say this holds true. A friend of mine who had done a couple of vacation schemes and was unsuccessful discussed them in their new applications and saw a significantly better AC invite/application ratio when compared to the previous cycle.
    Thank you so much!

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Just wondering (I’m not intending to criticise your behaviour and personality) but have you considered UK firms more? I’m just interested in understanding your strong focus on US firms!

Maybe that could be the key and you can move to US post TC? Many do it, and from looking at the way you approach the cycle, it seems you have less interest in a specific culture and practice. I only say this because the US firms you’re applying for are so different from each other. I could be wrong
    Some direct TC apps to UK firms. US firms pay more hence they get most of my attention. I’ve never had any luck with MC firms really. US firms I’m weirdly successful with - last cycle I got Latham AC, W&C AC and Ropes VS. UK firms don’t want me it would seem. This time neither type of firm seems to.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

l789

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2020
    Some direct TC apps to UK firms. US firms pay more hence they get most of my attention. I’ve never had any luck with MC firms really. US firms I’m weirdly successful with - last cycle I got Latham AC, W&C AC and Ropes VS. UK firms don’t want me it would seem. This time neither type of firm seems to.
    Honestly, I think your journey is really admirable and I would suggest keep pushing and don’t give up.

Be kind to yourself, you’re almost there!

Please take care :) xx

Reactions: Jo05 and Tintin06
    Hello I have an opportunity to have a dinner with a US law firm at my university. I have not applied for the vacation scheme. Is this something they would see as favourable even though my grades are not the highest. What is the aim of the dinner will those in attendance report back to the graduate recruitment.

gimmeavacschemepls

Standard Member
    Dec 13, 2022
    Hello I have an opportunity to have a dinner with a US law firm at my university. I have not applied for the vacation scheme. Is this something they would see as favourable even though my grades are not the highest. What is the aim of the dinner will those in attendance report back to the graduate recruitment.
    The purpose of these dinners isn't necessarily to 'report back to graduate recruitment,' since they often attend the dinners themselves. For example, when I went to a careers dinner with W&C, there were representatives from grad recruitment present. However, I think these dinners are mainly a great opportunity for YOU to learn more about the firm, ask questions to trainees and associates, and get a better sense of the firm’s culture. It’s more casual and relaxed, so it’s not as stressful as some of the other ways to get to know a law firm — at least, that’s how I saw it! Also, I don't think attending really puts you at any competitive advantage over other candidates - W&C still rejected me after I was invited to attend their Open Day and Careers Dinner, lol. Hope that makes sense!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Holding myself accountable - one new app:

CC* ✅📝
    HSF ✅📝❌
    NRF ✅📝❌
    Weil ✅
    Akin ✅
    Sidley ✅
    Orrick
    Willkie ✅🎥❌
    Cooley
    Latham
    Milbank ✅
    Kirkland ✅
    Skadden
    Goodwin ✅
    Covington ✅
    Linklaters* ✅📝
    Paul, Weiss ✅
    Slaughters* ✅❌
    Gibson Dunn
    Macfarlanes* ✅📝
    White & Case ✅
    Morgan Lewis ✅
    Hogan Lovells* ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅
    A&O Shearman ✅📝❌
    Vinson & Elkins
    King & Spalding* ✅
    Morrison Foerster ✅

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

Last edited:
    Holding myself accountable - one new app:

CC* ✅📝
    HSF ✅📝❌
    NRF ✅📝❌
    Weil ✅
    Akin ✅
    Sidley ✅
    Willkie ✅🎥❌
    Cooley
    Latham
    Milbank ✅
    Kirkland ✅
    Skadden
    Goodwin ✅
    Covington ✅
    Linklaters* ✅📝
    Paul, Weiss ✅
    Slaughters* ✅❌
    Gibson Dunn
    Macfarlanes* ✅📝
    White & Case ✅
    Morgan Lewis ✅
    Hogan Lovells* ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅
    A&O Shearman ✅📝❌
    Vinson & Elkins
    King & Spalding* ✅
    Morrison Foerster ✅

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications
    I love the honesty and transparency. I’m rooting for you my friend

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.