TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Tom smith

Standard Member
Aug 19, 2024
If a firm has not specified in the undergraduate degree module section that you should only include modules you have completed i.e. it says to include all modules you have studied in your course, should I include modules that I am currently studying but do not have a grade for?

Gday33

Distinguished Member
Apr 21, 2024
Has anyone done the preliminary round of the AS commercial awareness competition? Any heads up? i did it last year and was blindsided
I have but I gather each test is unique - from doing it I don’t think I could have really ‘prepared’ as it was very general. Some things you may have covered at uni / in employment and otherwise be aware of from the news. I didn’t answer 2 questions as I ran out of time so just keep an eye on that. Best of luck!

natalieshiu

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2024
Hi I was educated outside the UK and wasn't sure what to include in this section of multiple applications.

"Please list details of any other formal education before university in this space. If your education took place outside of the UK please describe it here. Please note that it is not necessary to provide information here if you were educated in the UK."

My current answer is brief, should I include more to use more words to come across as more comprehensive?
This is my current answer: I undertook 9 IGCSEs (the international equivalent of GCSEs) and the International Baccalaureate (IB).

Any help would be much appreciated.

manifestingthetc

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2024
If you could choose a career other than law, what would you choose? - I'm not really sure how to best answer this question. I'm not sure if it's best to think of something commercial or something genuinely outside of the commercial bubble? What is the best way to approach this question? it's thrown me off admittedly !

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi I was educated outside the UK and wasn't sure what to include in this section of multiple applications.

"Please list details of any other formal education before university in this space. If your education took place outside of the UK please describe it here. Please note that it is not necessary to provide information here if you were educated in the UK."

My current answer is brief, should I include more to use more words to come across as more comprehensive?
This is my current answer: I undertook 9 IGCSEs (the international equivalent of GCSEs) and the International Baccalaureate (IB).

Any help would be much appreciated.
I was in the same situation as you last year and I was a bit confused as to what information I should or should not include. I ended up providing a more detailed answer than yours, but that was because my prior education was not in the form of international exams, but a unique set of examinations which only exist in my home country. As they used different marking systems and weighing mechanisms, I ended up writing a longer paragraph to properly explain the context and meaning of my results.

That said, in your case, provided you have included all the IB and IGCSE grades in other sections of the application form, I think the current answer is fine. International exams tend to be well known by recruiters and you are not generally expected to further explain them. Moreover, your writing throughout the application form is partly assessed on metrics of brevity and relevance. In other words, recruiters will notice if you are taking more space than necessary to convey information and will count that as a mark against you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.