• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Trying4aJob

Jan 19, 2022
I have been invited to a Taylor Wessing open day, however it is on the 21st October. Do you think I should wait until the open day to submit my vacation scheme application? The only reason I ask is because applications for their vacation schemes are on a rolling basis and are already open

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
These are a real tonic actually. When you're feeling disaffected, they help. I got Latham's a year ago. They're very fun things to attend. You get to dress up also. I might wear a double-breasted suit. What are people's thoughts on that?
Honestly taking little wins when I can 🤣🤣.

The dress code says smart casual but better to overdress than under so wear your suit if it makes you feel good!

• Haha
Reactions: Tintin06

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
I have been invited to a Taylor Wessing open day, however it is on the 21st October. Do you think I should wait until the open day to submit my vacation scheme application? The only reason I ask is because applications for their vacation schemes are on a rolling basis and are already open
My short answer is yes. Even for firms recruiting on a rolling basis, most people only send their applications in the last two-three days, so you can still distinguish yourself from the crowd. Furthermore, I'd say the advantages of having an open day to discuss outweighs and disadvantage from submitting at a later date. I recently discussed this issue when responding to a similar query, I think you might find this post useful:
I completely agree with @Jessica Booker's advice - waiting to attend an open day and then mentioning that in the application is very unlikely to hurt your chances. Firms generally prefer applicants who attended open days and as such, although the application process might be rolling, they will not hold the later submission date against you. That would undermine the purpose of the open day, since an open day at this time of the year is organised to provide applicants with insight for this application cycle, not the next.

The only other thing I'll add is that while I think waiting to attend open days for each firm does generally lead to better odds for the success of each individual application, it does not necessarily translate into better odds at overall success in securing a TC. The reason for this is that employing this strategy for a high number of firms can make your application schedule administratively difficult.

Let's say you aim to apply to 20 firms this cycle, and let's say you would want to attend an open day at each before submitting a VS application. Firstly, this means that besides 20 VS application, you will need to take the time to write 20 open day applications, which is a significant increase in workload. Secondly, and more importantly, most open days you can apply to now will only be held between November-December. That is the exact period for most VS application deadlines. While there might be at least a two-week gap between the date of the open day and the deadline for VS applications at each individual firm, these periods are likely to overlap for different firms. Thus, if you do not submit some applications early, you could find yourself in a situation where you have 5 deadlines in a week. This can lead to a significant decrease in the amount of time you can invest in writing each application, which will in turn lead to a significant decrease of your chances of success. Alternatively, should you not want to compromise on quality, you may be forced to forego applying to some firms you wanted to apply to - which once again will reduce your overall chances of securing a TC. Hence, my advice would be to only wait to attend open days at a small number of firms you are particularly attracted to - around 4-5 is what worked for me.

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
What do people do about vac schemes happening during term time
Home students I think will generally attend the scheme regardless and perhaps send an email/speak with people in the faculty to explain the situation. For international students, it is a bit more difficult because of the visa requirement of a 20-hour working hours cap during term time. However, sometimes there are ways around this - if you are in this situation, I'm happy to discuss further what options you might have.

0livia.pope

Star Member
Nov 26, 2023
Home students I think will generally attend the scheme regardless and perhaps send an email/speak with people in the faculty to explain the situation. For international students, it is a bit more difficult because of the visa requirement of a 20-hour working hours cap during term time. However, sometimes there are ways around this - if you are in this situation, I'm happy to discuss further what options you might have.
Thanks for the reply! I somehow miscalculated term dates and wanted to double check

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Mariyam_M

Jun 27, 2023
My short answer is yes. Even for firms recruiting on a rolling basis, most people only send their applications in the last two-three days, so you can still distinguish yourself from the crowd. Furthermore, I'd say the advantages of having an open day to discuss outweighs and disadvantage from submitting at a later date. I recently discussed this issue when responding to a similar query, I think you might find this post useful:
@Andrei Radu I had a similar doubt for my Bird & Bird application. Their VS application deadline is Dec 19th. However, their open days and office drop-ins are scheduled for the latter half of October. Do you think it would be worth it to wait till after the Open Day? I have previously interacted with the firm at other events (like the Legal Cheek law fairs). At the same time, I don’t want to risk it too much since my VS application last year was rejected for being too late.

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
Unfortunately there's nothing that will completely take away the frustration you are feeling at this moment. I empathize with what you're going through right now and I know it's a difficult spot to be in. When in the same situation, many times I have started wondering if perhaps I am simply not good enough for this and many times I thought I might be better off just giving up. And this wasn't just during my first cycle. In my second cycle, after I had doubled my efforts in applications and after working myself to my upper limits to get the best results in my Year 1 exams, my first outcomes were still straight rejections. I truly felt I didn't have much more to give and that if that wasn't good enough, nothing would.

However, I persisted, and ended up with three TC offers, a more successful application cycle I could have ever dreamed of. My copying strategies were a combination of two apparently opposite approaches. On the one hand, to deal with emotional spiraling and avoid negative feedback loops, I started taking more care of my mental health. After a rejection, instead of locking myself up in my room, I would force myself to go out to a pub, go to the gym, or have a nice meal. That in itself helped me a lot with calming down after the initial shock. Also, I generally started to spend more time with my friends. Instead of having the application cycle as this alienating experience, it became a communal activity for us. Besides making it a lot more fun, this meant rejection was no longer something I was experiencing all by myself. Having the constant support of other people going through the same things as I was made a huge difference.

On the other hand, I reacted by redoubling my unwavering commitment to never giving up. My thought process was that while I cannot control the ultimate outcome of my efforts, the one thing I have absolute control over is what attitude I take to the circumstances I found myself in. I decided the only attitude I would be proud of would be one of untiring perseverance. Thus, instead of each rejection eating away at my resolution, it in fact strengthened it. This way, I pushed myself to keep trying to do better and better and, most importantly, to keep moving forward. This is what ultimately led to my success.

My advice is therefore to take some time for self-care, spend time with your friends and know you are not in this alone, and in spite of everything to not give up! You've got this and your success will taste all the sweeter for all the setbacks you've had to go through!
@Andrei Radu, thank you so very very much. Honestly, I love your approach and, after going for a long walk while listening to some fantastic music, I am almost done with one of my applications.

• Love

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
@Andrei Radu I had a similar doubt for my Bird & Bird application. Their VS application deadline is Dec 19th. However, their open days and office drop-ins are scheduled for the latter half of October. Do you think it would be worth it to wait till after the Open Day? I have previously interacted with the firm at other events (like the Legal Cheek law fairs). At the same time, I don’t want to risk it too much since my VS application last year was rejected for being too late.
I think it is still worth waiting, especially since you will have around a month left afterwards. However, considering the previous rejection, you want to submit the application as early as possible afterwards, perhaps in the first week. As such, I'd advise you to have your online firm research done before the open day and also write an application plan (as to what reasoning and experiences you want to use in each paragraph for each question) and perhaps even a written first draft. That way, you will not need to do as much work after the open day, which should enable to submit it quickly.

sammm10101

Star Member
Aug 15, 2024
For what its worth, the Bird & Bird recruiter told me to apply before mid-November for their vac schemes, so as long as you get the application in before then im sure its fine

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hiya @Chelsea101 :)

It's great that you're reapplying for a vacation scheme, but to build on what @Jessica Booker said, I'd recommend against submitting the same application you used for the training contract application in July. Even if the firm didn’t review your previous application, updating it shows that you've reflected on your experiences, motivations, and have gained fresh insights since then.

In previous cycles, Jess and several other Community Assistants have emphasised to me the importance of going beyond just updating factual information. For example, for any commercially focussed questions, it’s worth discussing something more recent than what you mentioned in your previous application. The legal industry, particularly commercial law, is dynamic and constantly evolving. Firms want to see that you’re keeping up to date with these changes and understand how current events impact their clients and the sectors they operate in. Using recent developments in your answers not only demonstrates your commercial awareness but also shows your genuine interest in staying informed and engaged.

Similarly, when discussing your motivations for joining the firm or your research into their work, it’s important to refine these points to reflect any new insights or areas of interest. For instance, you might ask yourself what you've learnt about the firm since your last application; have there been any recent developments in their practice areas, deals/cases, or CSR/EDI initiatives that have resonated with you? By reflecting on such questions, you can ensure that your reasons for wanting to join the firm remain current, thoughtful, and tailored to any new information you've gained.

Best of luck!
Hi @Ram Sabaratnam,

To follow up on these fantastic suggestions, can I ask you for additional tips?

Last year I applied to Squire and was invited to a VI. I have changed my answer to why commercial law, but why Squire is slightly similar. Squire distinguishes itself for its 6-seat training contract and I need to write about it; I slightly changed my answer to which practice I am most interested in, but it sounds the same :(

I am mostly worried about my achievements and skills, I am trying to rewrite my answers, but wondering if I should mention different accomplishments. My answers were so good, that I am actually impressed with myself lol.

Looper88

Standard Member
  • Oct 2, 2024
    Hi there! What sort of options would you advise the latter group?

Would it be possible to waive any renumeration associated with the vac scheme so it is not paid and therefore not ‘work’?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When is the deadline for the vacation scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Spring 1st Sept - 1st Nov
    Summer 1st Oct - 1st Dec
    Definitely lots of time for the summer scheme. For the Spring scheme, I’d just try to get the application 1-3 days after the open day, and try to get most of it drafted and ready to go before the open day, so you only have to make some small amendments with info gained from the open day afterwards.

Shah74k

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 12, 2023
    @Jessica Booker

Writing a response to Paul, Weiss' open day "Please use this space to explain why you would like to attend the Paul, Weiss Open Day"

Are they expecting a 'why Paul, Weiss' - esque response (my typical response would be research practice areas, mention a deal etc., or other unique things which I find attractive about them) or are they expecting something different.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.