• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

chihuahuacherub

Jun 4, 2024
@Jessica Booker Hope you're well! Do you have any advice about negotiating a TC offer? I'm in the privileged position to have received an offer from a firm I really love but it has a later start date than a (potential) TC offer from firms I'm doing vacation schemes for this summer. Would the fact I have other schemes in the pipeline give me much leverage in negotiations, or is that unlikely unless I have an actual TC offer from those firms?

Also, would it be perceived improper to request an extension to a decision or would that immediately look like they're not my priority?

Finally, if a Firm were to request I do no other schemes upon acceptance of that TC, is there any way they could find out if I did it anyway? I know conflicts check can be an issue but I was thinking that maybe a VS wouldn't be captured by those inquiries.

So sorry for all the questions!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Are exam deferrals for personal extenuating circumstances looked down upon by grad rec on an application form and would you include this in the 'resit' section?
No - this would not be an issue. You don’t have to include this in a resit section as they are not resits. However, if you feel it maybe better to explain a delayed sitting or graduation, you could reference it elsewhere, like an additional information section or reference it on your CV.

Reactions: jplaw1010

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hope you're well! Do you have any advice about negotiating a TC offer? I'm in the privileged position to have received an offer from a firm I really love but it has a later start date than a (potential) TC offer from firms I'm doing vacation schemes for this summer. Would the fact I have other schemes in the pipeline give me much leverage in negotiations, or is that unlikely unless I have an actual TC offer from those firms?

Also, would it be perceived improper to request an extension to a decision or would that immediately look like they're not my priority?

Finally, if a Firm were to request I do no other schemes upon acceptance of that TC, is there any way they could find out if I did it anyway? I know conflicts check can be an issue but I was thinking that maybe a VS wouldn't be captured by those inquiries.

So sorry for all the questions!
It is unlikely to be something you can negotiate, but you can state your want to join earlier if an opportunity presents itself.

Firms will have headcount to work towards and it maybe that the earlier intakes are full. If they are, there is no negotiation - you’d just have to wait.

But by stating an interest to start earlier, the firm can consider you if there are earlier vacancies whether that be at the point of asking or later down the line if someone was to renege/fail to complete law school etc.

I think you have to pick your battle though here - either choose the extension request or ask whether you can be brought forward. I suspect if you ask for both, the firm is going to understand their opportunity is not a priority for you.

The firm would find out eventually that you did other vacation schemes. That wouldn’t be through conflict checks but through your onboarding process as a trainee as you would have to declare all forms of employment, including previous vacation schemes. I don’t think the reference check people would pick this up as something that went against the T&Cs of the offer, and even if they did, I doubt they would care because you are starting with them, not another firm by that point.

sofffff123

Standard Member
Jun 2, 2024
Does anyone have any advice for a non law graduate this year for vac scheme applications. I don’t have much legal experience as have only recently decided to pursue law. I have a week at a reputable firm and other non legal experience from working alongside uni. I want to know how to utilize my summer to put me in the best place for vac scheme applications this September. Any advice?

lawstudent2003

Oct 26, 2023
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice - I am currently on a vac scheme and really enjoying my time with the firm and department i'm sat in so far. However, when I come home I feel so anxious all night to the point I cannot eat or sleep and I can't figure out why. Everyone at the firm is super friendly and approachable, and nothing has happened to make me feel anxious. Has anyone had similar before? I would appreciate any advice as I'm really enjoying the scheme and this is tainting my experience. Thanks :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Hi everyone, just looking for some advice - I am currently on a vac scheme and really enjoying my time with the firm and department i'm sat in so far. However, when I come home I feel so anxious all night to the point I cannot eat or sleep and I can't figure out why. Everyone at the firm is super friendly and approachable, and nothing has happened to make me feel anxious. Has anyone had similar before? I would appreciate any advice as I'm really enjoying the scheme and this is tainting my experience. Thanks :)
    You're anxious because you care and want to work hard to convert it into a TC. Relax, you've done well to get that far!

Have self confidence and faith in your abilities and it will more than likely come across to the staff who are supervising you

Last edited:

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    i second what @FM302989 said!!

I felt like this on my vac scheme, I'd have a great day in the office then go home overthink, work myself up that i wasn't doing enough or that i was doing too much. cared soo much about converting that at times i forgot to enjoy it. I struggled to sleep every night as i felt that i was wasting time by not working on the assessments that were set by grad rec.

Don't think about the possible TC at the end just think about the experience you're gaining in the moment! ask all those questions you won't be able to by researching.

Good luck :)

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Definitely normal, but also there's no reason to worry - its just an indication that you really like the firm and are therefore very eager to put your best foot forward. However, it will serve you far better to not ruminate over everything you did or could have done differently that day and ensure you get proper rest!

Heartofglass

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 7, 2023
    Hi Jessica, I want to ask that if I get a training contract commencing in 2027, but I will graduate in 2025 and finish my SQE in 2026, can I ask the firm to move my start date to 2026? If not, what can I do in the year waiting for my TC?

tosin4774

Jun 6, 2024
    Are you also doing the second stage interviews this Thursday? I am preparing for competency questions like 'tell me a time when you managed conflict in a team/overcame a challenge' and the usual 'why Gibson/why commercial law?'
    Can you please provide details about the application form for Gibson Dunn and the interview, including the questions asked?

Also are there questions asked in the application form?

tosin4774

Jun 6, 2024
    Hey @taliagibson, first of all congratulations for obtaining a first round with Gibson Dunn, this is such an amazing achievement!
    In terms of tips, I would recommend:
    • Knowing your application inside and out: the first round was mainly motivations-based and getting to know you as a person so they will ask questions on the things you have mentioned in your application.
    • Have a clear reasons as to why you are interested in the firm and in commercial law. With this try to distinguish yourself from the masses and be as professional but also as personal as possible. For instance, I went in-depth as to why I wanted to be a commercial lawyer ever since I was helping my mother with her small business and the difficulty of that, linking it back to an experience I had at an EU organisation. I think these kind of answers allow graduate recruitment to not only see you as a candidate but to see you as an interesting person.
    • Be yourself. As the first interview is with graduate recruitment, it is quintessential to be yourself and be as enthusiastic as you can be. I laughed all throughout my interview and it made it very chill and engaging not only for me but for graduate recruitment.
    Good luck with it and I am sure you'll smash it!
    Hi @axelbeugre what does the application process for Gibson Dunn involve?

LegalLordLox

Legendary Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    What are the paralegal opportunities like with flex legal? Do the big firms (say the firms listed on legal cheek) recruit through them?
    Flex legal offer a lot of short term paralegal vacancies.

There’s a process to go through with flex. There are some amazing clients they work with.

I think the main difference between Flex and LOD is that flex allow you to work for the client permanently if the client wants to… whereas LOD will keep you tied in with them which is stipulated within the employment contract.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.