• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    I have a similar question. Have they sent out PFOs for London Office? gave my test in april. no response from them.
    For anyone doing the Stephenson Harwood july vac scheme (Dubai office if that makes a difference), do you know when the scheme takes palce? I just booked a rave ticket in July and then got the online test from the firm 😭i thought they had ghosted me since it's been so long

l789

Star Member
    Aug 19, 2020
    I can relate. My feedback after a failed vac scheme was that I needed more confidence and more experience within professional services as my background was predominantly retail. But otherwise I have “lots of potential”. It really made me feel like I was just there to tick a diversity box.
    Sorry I just read this comment now and that is absolutely pathetic and I feel discriminatory feedback in terms of not acknowledging that for some of us- myself included, retail jobs are the only reason I’m able to get through and fund university.

It’s not like everyone has the privilege of connections and being able to do a months internship at US law firms in Dubai- which I see A LOT of.

I felt really angry and disheartened to read this, sentiments of classism coming through despite law firms constantly pushing “DEI” - makes you wonder.

Sorry to hear about your experience, I know you will get there.

Zaina

Dec 29, 2023
    I'm so confused about SH - does anyone want to take one for the team and ask them wtf is going on... I would but I sent an email recently
    I’m so confused so people have gotten a next stage assessment and that deadline is for June 5 so does that mean everyone else who didn’t get this basically got rejected?

PlscanIhaveaTC

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2020
    Sorry I just read this comment now and that is absolutely pathetic and I feel discriminatory feedback in terms of not acknowledging that for some of us- myself included, retail jobs are the only reason I’m able to get through and fund university.

It’s not like everyone has the privilege of connections and being able to do a months internship at US law firms in Dubai- which I see A LOT of.

I felt really angry and disheartened to read this, sentiments of classism coming through despite law firms constantly pushing “DEI” - makes you wonder.

Sorry to hear about your experience, I know you will get there.
    Thank you for this! It’s so relieved to know I’m not the only one.

Exactly - I didn’t feel it was constructive feedback at all. I’ve been trying for two years now to move into a professional services role and although I’ve reached interview stage multiple times, my feedback is consistently that they went with another candidate with more experience. It’s honestly so tiring.

It’s also really disheartening when graduate recruitment push the narrative that you don’t need any experience and to showcase your transferable skills to then receive that feedback.

Thank you for your kind words, I’m rooting for you too. And to anyone else out there who has had a similar experience, don’t give up!

• Love
    Reactions: l789

EzeLaylor

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 15, 2021
    Same with feedback which included my not up to standard academic value..most of the BUILD candidates are Cambridge/Oxford..I am not sorry but not sorry!
    I thought the feedback was generic. Mine said:

"We understand that this news may be disappointing, and we wish we could provide individual feedback. However, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to do so. Nonetheless, we encourage you to reflect on the following aspects:
    1. Your academic history and achievements.
    2. Your work experiences and how they align with your career goals.
    3. Your motivation for pursuing a career in law."

As someone with only A/A*s at A-level, and good degree classification/legal work experience, I think it was just a generic note they sent to everyone ...

Reactions: Sharon Wu

lawstudent15

Star Member
    Feb 26, 2022
    Hi everyone! I have a question regarding working hours on vacation schemes. Is it generally expected for vac schemers to stay late (or is this the exception)? I appreciate that this may be firm specific, but I have an upcoming vac scheme at a large international firm and am curious! Can you make late evening plans with friends (e.g. 7/8 pm) or would this be a bad idea?

Percypig12

Legendary Member
    Oct 19, 2021
    Hi everyone! I have a question regarding working hours on vacation schemes. Is it generally expected for vac schemers to stay late (or is this the exception)? I appreciate that this may be firm specific, but I have an upcoming vac scheme at a large international firm and am curious! Can you make late evening plans with friends (e.g. 7/8 pm) or would this be a bad idea?
    The vast majority of firms won't want vac schemers staying late. It's exhausting trying to put your best foot forward for 1/2/3 weeks and no one wants you burning out.

Do bear in mind though that there will be some socials which you will be expected to go to. I'd therefore wait to make plans until after you've found out your schedule.

Reactions: lawstudent15

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Most likely fairly standard hours - most supervisors will be pushing you out the door at 5.30-6.00pm. There can be occasions where vacation scheme students stay later, and there will be social events that will be in the evenings, but generally I would expect vacation scheme students to not be in the office after 6.00pm, maybe 6.30pm at a push.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.