• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesslawapps

Star Member
Oct 17, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre any advice on how to approach telling a firm you can’t attend their AC because you’ve already committed to another AC? I received the email tonight asking me to attend on the 13th Tues, but I’d already committed to an AC invitation 2 weeks ago on the same day. Should I tell them I can’t attend for another AC or just say I have a prior commitment ? Worried it will look like I am uninterested in the firm. Thanks in advance !

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre any advice on how to approach telling a firm you can’t attend their AC because you’ve already committed to another AC? I received the email tonight asking me to attend on the 13th Tues, but I’d already committed to an AC invitation 2 weeks ago on the same day. Should I tell them I can’t attend for another AC or just say I have a prior commitment ? Worried it will look like I am uninterested in the firm. Thanks in advance !
You can state you have an appointment/meeting you cannot change the date of and ask them whether they have any alternative dates you can attend instead. You can reference it being another assessment centre if you want to, but you can just state it is an appointment you cannot change.

I’d give them a call rather than rely on email if you can.

Reactions: RS134

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For video interviews, is it advisable to look at the camera of my computer or on the screen when I am answering the questions? Thank you!
I would try to look at the camera or at least in the direction of it, as this gives the impression of eye contact to the person watching your video.

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    When I was applying to universities, I was told that if I got rejected from somewhere, it obviously wasn't right for me. It helps sometimes when I'm facing the emails. I hope it helps someone else.
    I believe this too! What’s right for you will never pass you by. I’ve received PFO from some firms to see something about the same firm a few days later in a new article or LinkedIn post, realising that I wouldn’t have even applied had I known prior to my application. Everything happens for a reason! :)

Last edited:

jesslawapps

Star Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    You can state you have an appointment/meeting you cannot change the date of and ask them whether they have any alternative dates you can attend instead. You can reference it being another assessment centre if you want to, but you can just state it is an appointment you cannot change.

I’d give them a call rather than rely on email if you can.
    Thank you 😊

Callumw123

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 5, 2023
    Has anyone done the Bird & Bird VI? Any tips for coming across well would be greatly appreciated. As would any tips on how to make the best use of the preparation time given before you speak.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I would personally email them saying that you have commitment that you cannot cancel unfortunately but you really want to do the assessment centre (if you want to) and you are wondering whether you can postpone it. Usually they are very understanding of people's circumstances and should be glad to change the date. If not, you might have to make a decision as to which assessment centre to accept and kindly decline the other.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.