• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Is there any way to save the work experience section on Candid or other platforms? I'm tired of filling that out every timeee 😭
    My advice is have google doc with all your work experiences. I have three sections: 100 words, 150 words, and 250 words. This helped me a lot. I wouldn’t trust saving your info and using it across all your apps. I did this for Clifford Chance and there was a glitch which made me look stupid 😭

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    for oc's verbal reasoning test, is it the same format (18min 30qs) as the shl practice test? is the real test easier or harder? would really appreciate some insights:))

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey guys, would you name a firm when talking about your interest in an area of law? like "i became interested in X because of my work experience at Y". I've done that for a good majority of my applications and now I'm starting to worry if that's a taboo, or would put me at a disadvantage :/
    This is really not an issue - you are referencing the firm elsewhere in your application (in your work experience section) and they will expect your interests to be driven from the things you have experienced.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all! Osborne Clarke ask the following question on its application: 'How have you gone about researching the legal market? What sources of information have you used? How has this led to you making an application to Osborne Clarke?' Does anyone know what is meant specifically by 'legal market'? Is this question essentially asking how you researched law firms and how your research led you to apply to OC? I think some others have posted about this question but unfortunately there haven't been many responses, so grateful for any guidance :)
    I think market is throwing people - it could easily be sector or industry. They just means what have you done to learn about the topic/career/industry more generally.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, on the Freshfields TC app it says that CV upload is optional, and there is also a separate tab for filling in work experience. Does this mean you don't need to upload a CV?
    No need to upload a CV - it’s just where they use the same applicant tracking system for their other vacancies that require a CV (eg lateral hires) and the functionality can’t be turned off.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Njaliwe Ungwe and plteo22

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    This is certainly an interesting merger that we will have to wait and see how it plays out but for the most part I agree with you, Shearman and its clients will definitely benefit from accessing a broader range of practice areas and not necessarily only focused on financial services which was Shearman's focus. I do believe that considerations around benefitting from A&O prestige especially in UK and Europe will benefit Shearman and access a more diverse global network. I am sure there are many more benefits but I think it will take some time to see if they come to fruition when the merger is up and running.
    Thank you very much @axelbeugre

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I've just submitted the Freshfields written assessment, and realised immediately after submission that I'd missed something obvious, and made a couple of errors. Do you recall how forgiving FFs are for the assessment (i.e. do successful applicants typically have stellar written assessments, or generally are they a tad imperfect but not terrible)?

I know what's done is done etc, just trying to put my mind at ease/evaluate my chances 😅
    The assessment is not going to be determined purely by a couple of errors, as there will be multiple aspects that are assessed. I would just wait to hear back rather than trying to work out the “what ifs” because they are impossible to know

Reactions: MrHubertLouis
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.