• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Literally.

I am not going to respond on the Ropes & Gray chat anymore because I honestly cannot deal with another “beat around the bush” answer from the firm that does not make any logical sense regardless of how they spin it.

I am 100% convinced that this decision has been formed off the back of one of their graduate recruitment team saying “how do we reduce applications because it’s taking a long time for us to review them, boo us”

I remember thinking highly of the firm and their vision for their recruitment practices, back when they had a smaller team and in fact had an amazing conversation with the manager where we actually spoke on this particular point. I am disappointed by the U-turn - not just for me, but what this basically means for those that invested in their own studies.

Boo them, their loss guys.

Good luck to those who can apply though (the salary is great, and their meeting rooms have American candy in them - as for business strategy - I’ll leave that open to interpretation).
    Scratch that, I responded.

LPC graduates deserve better.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker

If you are told you’d hear an outcome in 7 working days from today but the 7th day is Christmas Day do I assume the firm would be closed throughout Christmas week and I won’t hear back until January?

In addition if an interviewer speaks about the AC and next steps does that mean I’ve done well or is that just a mandatory thing to say. (I am a huge over thinker) 😭
    I would not look too much into it and focus on the fact that you have done the interview and should be very proud of yourself! If they said 7 working days, I am assuming they mean before Christmas, otherwise I would assume you would hear back in January. Either way, try to focus on other applications or enjoy your vacation and do not think about what happened or when you are going to receive the feedback.

I am a huge over-thinker as well and I used to do the same things but going out with friends, talking to my family back home and listening to music/podcasts everyday and everytime really helped me distract me everytime when I was applying, so I would recommend doing that.

Good luck with the process and sending you positive vibes!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Judgements welcome 😭

I just stumbled across my cover letter for Slaughter and May first year scheme a few years ago, I think I’ve come a long way since then although they rejected me this year 🤣🤣

“Why me? Why I should be chosen to be a part of a world leading law firm as yourself slaughter and may, well I will explain why. Throughout school I didn't get straight A*'s or A'S but what i did get is a fun personality.”

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Judgements welcome 😭

I just stumbled across my cover letter for Slaughter and May first year scheme a few years ago, I think I’ve come a long way since then although they rejected me this year 🤣🤣

“Why me? Why I should be chosen to be a part of a world leading law firm as yourself slaughter and may, well I will explain why. Throughout school I didn't get straight A*'s or A'S but what i did get is a fun personality.”
    theres no way i could be GR, cause from that alone I would have let u thru

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

If you are told you’d hear an outcome in 7 working days from today but the 7th day is Christmas Day do I assume the firm would be closed throughout Christmas week and I won’t hear back until January?

In addition if an interviewer speaks about the AC and next steps does that mean I’ve done well or is that just a mandatory thing to say. (I am a huge over thinker) 😭
    Yes - I would expect an outcome in the new year, and I’d wait until the 3 or 4 January before chasing.

No - that is a standard part of an interview where they will tell you next steps - they will say it to all candidates.

Reactions: Legalstalker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Could someone explain what Bates Wells are looking for with this question: "Please tell us about an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment. When answering the question, please consider the Bates Wells values."?

I'm not sure whether added value means something that furthered academic/work success, or if they're looking for something which improved the general environment of a work/education setting (i.e. a society position that helped the student body more generally, a place on a network in a job etc).
    Either of these approaches would work.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was looking through the thread w/ Ropes & Gray Grad Recruitment (below) and saw that they won't accept applications from LPC students/graduates...it seems unnecessarily harsh and not logical (especially if individuals are willing to forfeit their exemption and do the entire SQE).

Has anyone emailed them to verify if this is the case or if this rep just got it wrong?

Just for clarity, you can’t forfeit your exemption - that is not for the firm to decide either. You get the exemption outright but a firm could ask you to complete a combined SQE1 and 2 prep course even if you technically didn’t need the SQE1 part (many will suggest it helps you with SQE2 anyway).

Reactions: Wannabe_Lawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When talking about achievements, is it okay to talk about non-academic ones/what can actually be considered as an achievement? Apologies for the very broad question but if anyone has any examples, I would appreciate it!
    Yes, you can include non-academic achievements.

Consider it to be anything where you have had impact outside of the norm or outside what you were expected to do (if in employment/education). For instance, you could have received an “employee of the month” type of award at work; you could have raised a certain amount of money for charity; you could have increased membership for your university society; you could have won an award for a photography competition; you could have run a highly successful side hussle.

There are so many different things it could be (the above are just some examples). The things I wouldn’t include are general academic grades (saying you got a first is not really a distinctive achievement and will be evidenced in your form elsewhere anyway) or anything where you have just done you job (eg “submitted forms that led to our client being successful in court”).

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Literally.

I am not going to respond on the Ropes & Gray chat anymore because I honestly cannot deal with another “beat around the bush” answer from the firm that does not make any logical sense regardless of how they spin it.

I am 100% convinced that this decision has been formed off the back of one of their graduate recruitment team saying “how do we reduce applications because it’s taking a long time for us to review them, boo us”

I remember thinking highly of the firm and their vision for their recruitment practices, back when they had a smaller team and in fact had an amazing conversation with the manager where we actually spoke on this particular point. I am disappointed by the U-turn - not just for me, but what this basically means for those that invested in their own studies.

Boo them, their loss guys.

Good luck to those who can apply though (the salary is great, and their meeting rooms have American candy in them - as for business strategy - I’ll leave that open to interpretation).
    I don't know why but I feel like their answers on the chat are copied from Chatgpt.... even if someone is copying from there, atleast format it appropriately.. (tells you lot about the firm)

lawyergirl

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Yes, you can include non-academic achievements.

Consider it to be anything where you have had impact outside of the norm or outside what you were expected to do (if in employment/education). For instance, you could have received an “employee of the month” type of award at work; you could have raised a certain amount of money for charity; you could have increased membership for your university society; you could have won an award for a photography competition; you could have run a highly successful side hussle.

There are so many different things it could be (the above are just some examples). The things I wouldn’t include are general academic grades (saying you got a first is not really a distinctive achievement and will be evidenced in your form elsewhere anyway) or anything where you have just done you job (eg “submitted forms that led to our client being successful in court”).
    Thank you Jessica!

An additional question, are these sorts achievements not considered here then: for example, running a marathon or something, or learning a new language

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.