• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
At what point would you consider applying to a rolling deadline wasted effort?

If I apply the day of or the day before the deadline, is it so unlikely to be considered that it’s better to focus the effort on other firms given the time/effort needed to be put into one application?
I would never say that applying to a firm is a wasted effort especially if applications are still open. You actually never know but the law firm might be waiting until the last minute to see the competition and to confirm whether the people they liked are the best or more qualified candidates are applying just a little bit later, but are still worth giving a chance to. However, I would say that realistically speaking the day of and the day before the deadline (even the week of) are probably to be avoided to have a concrete chance of at least having your application reviewed.

This is my opinion of course but I do think that it is firm specific, and it really depends on the culture of the firm and how they are used to do things in the recruitment process. But generally, the sooner you apply, the better.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
DLA Piper AC invite!! Only issue is it's on the same day as WFW's Open Day lol. Does anyone have any experience with requesting a different date for an AC? Are they likely to accommodate or should I just cut my losses? 😂
Congratulations for obtaining an assessment centre at DLA Piper, this is huge!

I would email WFW and ask if they can put you in the next Open Day cohort. If that is not the case, in my person opinion, an assessment centre is probably more important than an Open Day, so I would do the assessment centre as that is a concrete chance to get a vacation scheme, and ultimately a training contract, which is the whole point of the hard work you are putting in.

Of course it depends on you and what you think, if WFW is one of your top choices, maybe you can ask DLA Piper to move your assessment centre. However, I would do this for things out of your control that you cannot possibly change or avoid attending.

Good luck with the assessment centre and congratulations again!

Reactions: CorporateCrocodile

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    How would you go about answering a 'describe a commercial news story' question? What components should I be talking about here? Would appreciate any insight!
    Firstly, if it’s an article, I’d name it. So full title, date and name of publication. Summarise it, why it’s interesting to you/your opinion on it, what are the commercial implications of the story on the legal field (for example, AI, firms in general want to start using AI to give advice to clients etc) then finally, how it relates to that firm/the work they do! This is how I approached a similar question 😊

lawyergirl

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Firstly, if it’s an article, I’d name it. So full title, date and name of publication. Summarise it, why it’s interesting to you/your opinion on it, what are the commercial implications of the story on the legal field (for example, AI, firms in general want to start using AI to give advice to clients etc) then finally, how it relates to that firm/the work they do! This is how I approached a similar question 😊
    Ahh this is very helpful, thank you!! :)

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    omg ive been reading your posts for so long, IM ROOTING FOR U BEST OF LUCK

You Got This Go Get Em GIF
    ME TOO, rooting for you!

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Was hoping for some advice surrounding what is classed as a mitigating circumstance. For example, would caring for an elderly relative during your studies count (even if you were not legally registered as a carer)

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Was hoping for some advice surrounding what is classed as a mitigating circumstance. For example, would caring for an elderly relative during your studies count (even if you were not legally registered as a carer)
    Were your caring responsibilities made known to your faculty/university? If there’s a written record of it that you can get from your university and if you can adequately communicate how it impacted your studies on an application then I don’t see why not! Especially if you lived with the carer; late nights, maybe not being able to spend as much time on campus because you have to go home to them, any financial responsibility you might have taken on. But it all goes back to documentary evidence being available in case a firm asks for it.

I have mit circs and on every application, I always say there is documentary evidence available upon request and so far, no one has asked me for it yet. I’m assuming it comes if a job offer is made so just keep that in mind!

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Were your caring responsibilities made known to your faculty/university? If there’s a written record of it that you can get from your university and if you can adequately communicate how it impacted your studies on an application then I don’t see why not! Especially if you lived with the carer; late nights, maybe not being able to spend as much time on campus because you have to go home to them, any financial responsibility you might have taken on. But it all goes back to documentary evidence being available in case a firm asks for it.

I have mit circs and on every application, I always say there is documentary evidence available upon request and so far, no one has asked me for it yet. I’m assuming it comes if a job offer is made so just keep that in mind!
    Mostly during my A-Levels and no, my school weren't aware.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Mostly during my A-Levels and no, my school weren't aware.
    I think that might be more difficult but honestly, it’s worth a shot. Don’t let it stop you from applying and make the firm aware too. I think if you’re at uni now, and you’re getting mid to high 2:1s and firsts in a lot of your modules; that could help too. Because it shows that without those factors, you’re very much capable of getting the grades they want

Reactions: jplaw1010
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.