• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @axelbeugre, could you speak to how Goodwin assesses the VS for those who receive a TC? Is it a holistic approach of feedback from supervisors, assessed tasks, etc? is there a final interview at the end of the scheme?
Hey @Seven,

Thanks for reaching out. So, Goodwin assesses us throughout the scheme and the evaluation is based on: Your interaction with everyone at the firm, any piece of work you have been given by associates, partners from the department you are sitting in (but also others if you wish), a written case study (1 hour long), a TC interview (30 to 1 hour long), and a group assessment. All these are done during the one week vacation scheme, which is pretty intense!

I hope that helps!

Reactions: Seven

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Attended the Fieldfisher Diversity Access Scheme Launch Event. So the current process is an application, strengths test and virtual AC. Rather than having a final interview/presentation to convert the DAS into a TC offer, you need to do an entire in person AC consisting of a written exercise, group presentation and a final partner interview (two partners). Is it me or is this a lot?

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Heya I also did my Willkie VI and also think I completely flopped it. Did you also have a problem with the email saying you had 90 seconds to respond but on the actual platform it only gave you a minute?
    Uh not gonna lie I don't even remember seeing an exact timer - I was too focused on the ring that slowly fills up around your video lol. I mean I hope we got 90 seconds if that's what the email said.

SalmaNasser

Star Member
    Oct 16, 2023
    Attended the Fieldfisher Diversity Access Scheme Launch Event. So the current process is an application, strengths test and virtual AC. Rather than having a final interview/presentation to convert the DAS into a TC offer, you need to do an entire in person AC consisting of a written exercise, group presentation and a final partner interview (two partners). Is it me or is this a lot?
    hey, i am at the event as well hahahah, i think few firms do this as well and not just fieldfisher.

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 4, 2023
    Hello!
    Perhaps a really silly question but I'm doing an application and they state:
    If you haven’t completed the LPC before starting your training contract, you would complete the SQE through a Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship if you were to be made an offer.

To be eligible for the Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship you must have 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including Maths and English.

Do you have 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above including Maths and English? (Please select n/a if you will have completed the LPC before starting a training contract)

All the other applications generally state GCSEs or equivalent. I didn't go to an English school, so don't have GCSEs. Does this matter? Should I email? Thanks!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Shah74k

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 12, 2023
    Is Latham's brief 5-minute video interview (SJT) well documented on their website? If you did it in a sweatshirt because you weren't expecting it, would you be marked down for that?

D

Deleted member 9747

I have been invited to complete a test after submitting an application. Just reviewed my app and noticed a few errors/typos (not sure how I've got through the first stage lol, they are bad mistakes) - do you think I can try and give GR an updated app at anytime? I wouldn't want the app being placed in front of partners in its current state

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    I have been invited to complete a test after submitting an application. Just reviewed my app and noticed a few errors/typos (not sure how I've got through the first stage lol, they are bad mistakes) - do you think I can try and give GR an updated app at anytime? I wouldn't want the app being placed in front of partners in its current state
    Dependent on the firm, your app won’t even get seen by the partners. The exception to this is if your AC interview will be based off your app. If this is the case, firms will usually state this in the FAQs section of their careers page (e.g HSF state their interviews are based off your app).

Personal opinion- if you’ve reached the AC stage with these errors in your application, it shouldn’t hold you back as you will have proved through WG/VI/SJT that you may have the skills to do the job.

Reactions: Deleted member 9747
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.