• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre,

For HSF's application question 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you', I spoke about my favourite movie and how it motivated me to step out of my comfort zone. I then provided examples of how I stepped out of my comfort zone at university. I was told to speak about something connected to current affairs instead. Should I change my answer to talk about something that's more commercial?
Absolutely not, HSF is really specific in saying that this question is meant for you to talk about everything you want. I went to their Open Day last year and they said that some people who got the training contract wrote about creative writing, Taylor Swift (which I was shocked about too), music and all sorts of non-commercial stuff. They really do want to hear what is interesting to you and do not require you to talk about financial markets or anything like that.

izzy1036

Feb 9, 2023
Absolutely not, HSF is really specific in saying that this question is meant for you to talk about everything you want. I went to their Open Day last year and they said that some people who got the training contract wrote about creative writing, Taylor Swift (which I was shocked about too), music and all sorts of non-commercial stuff. They really do want to hear what is interesting to you and do not require you to talk about financial markets or anything like that.
Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This is really great advice but to add onto this something someone told me about this question a person who reached their AC said 50:50 split between the topic and why it interests you hope that is helpful.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre,

For HSF's application question 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you', I spoke about my favourite movie and how it motivated me to step out of my comfort zone. I then provided examples of how I stepped out of my comfort zone at university. I was told to speak about something connected to current affairs instead. Should I change my answer to talk about something that's more commercial?
    No - I don’t think you have to talk about something commercial.

However, you don’t have to provide examples of you stepping out of your comfort zone - they question is not asking you to demonstrate your abilities. Instead I would focus more on presenting the topic rather than presenting information about you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.