• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
It is completely normal to feel that way. I do all the time. I’ve done the firm internships, even mini pupillages, graduated with a high 2.1, went to a top 14 us school for my LLM and got a merit scholarship and I am getting nowhere, constantly wondering whether the past 7 years of my life were an utter waste. They weren’t, and neither were yours, but it’s hard to see that when you’re in the thick of it. Stay strong x
thank you so much @baj5 for sharing your journey. It is indeed a long one but I am sure that you will be able to find your fit and become the best lawyer out there! And congratulations on your LLM in the US, this is huge and not many people can say the same so you are definitely an interesting candidate! Good luck with your journey!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
What are the minimum grades for the GDL that top law firms require?
As Jessica confirmed, I am not sure whether there are minimum grades. You just have to do your best and send your grades in, and if you have extenuating circumstances that may explain a lower grade then I would encourage you to explain that, but there are no minimum grades as far as I am aware. Of course, some firms do put a lot of value on academic excellence so it is important to be aware of that when applying. Good luck with the cycle @e1996

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When writing your descriptions for work experience on a CV, should you simply state what you did/responsibility you held or should you also discuss the skills you gained and how it will benefit you as a trainee?

Also bullet points or no bullet points?

Thanks
I would say to stick to the bullet point formal and definitely describe your tasks/responsibilities but also the skills you gained, I would not talk about how they will benefit you as a trainee there. Be sure to also quantify your results when describing your tasks as that will show your value as a trainee without necessarily stating it.

Reactions: jplaw1010

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Feeling really drained out this application season alongside final year of University
I can totally understand this as I was in your same shoes last year but what I would say is keep persevering but also take breaks and allow yourself to do something else and engage with content that is not law-related, that will help you massively. Other tips are:

• Work on your application at the end of the week if you can and for the rest of the week focus on university work.
  • Be selective and structured with the time you decide to spend on either university work or law firms applications.
  • Prioritise your mental and physical health during this process as those will help you be more focused and ready to face the stress of the application cycle and university coursework.
  • Ask other students how they are coping with managing both and try to use the tips they give you to improve your time management skills.
  • Get some rest!
  • Enjoy yourself too!
I hope these tips help and I know that the cycle is really stressful but I am sure you will succeed, you just have to be a master in time management but also understand that your well-being comes first!
Good luck! @hanz123

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Reactions: conixx

Izzy1026

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Hi friends, just want to ask a question related to networking. Last week I connected with an associate from Covington through a non-UK alumni network and had such a good chat as we had a lot in common (international student, wanting to do arbitration, went to the same school). She asked at the end of the chat if I want her to tell HR that we have spoken. Is this an indication of referral? I am not particularly eloquent with all the networking euphemisms o_O If it is, would it really make much of a difference?

Reactions: axelbeugre
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.