• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Is it just me or has anyone else also faced this- I’ve been applying for 2 years now and in every application, other people hear back about ACs and next stage invites yet law firms never get back to me. Am I that bad or do firms really hate me?? (apologies for the weird questions) but it seems to me as if I’m making applications after applications never to hear back or either get a PFO. It’s mentally very tiring
First off, I’m sorry you feel that way, and so many people on this forum relate to how you feel. It is a particularly draining process and constant PFOs can really take a toll.

How many applications would you say you’ve done each cycle and have you progressed past the application stage at any point?

Firms definitely don’t hate you and I really doubt you’re “that bad”; it’s likely just a technique issue. In terms of getting better, I think the best approach would be to have someone else review your application. If they give you honest feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, it may help you understand where you’re going wrong. I also see you’re a premium member, so I would 100% advise looking at the example successful applications and comparing those to yours.

Just remember that you’re only on a second cycle! There are people on here who have been through a lot more than that, and we’re still here :) You’ll get there!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre, would like some advise on a CV blind interview at an AC. If i am asked to introduce myself, should i say which uni(s) I studied at when saying my background? The email about the cv blind interview says the following: "The interviewers will receive a copy of your application form, however this will be limited to the questions and answers under the following sections work experience, activities and your application question answers. Where organisations are specified in your application regarding work experience, these will be generalised for your interviewer e.g. 'law firm' or 'professional services firm'. In addition, reference to educational institutions will be removed, including specific mention of your university or school within application answers." Just wondering how i should conduct myself when explaining about myself if asked?
In these circumstances I personally would not mention them and most of the time will not make or break your interview performance and result anyway, just focus on what you studied.

I do understand that it comes natural to many to say the universities they have studied, and it would be natural to me too, but I think that in this case it is more important to focus on what you have studied/learned/achieved and experienced!

Reactions: Ash2323
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.