• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jaysen,

I hope you are well.

I bought a review package for an application but never received a response to my email.
How can I directly get in touch with you or @Erin? Thank you in advance.

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jaysen,

I hope you are well.

I bought a review package for an application but never received a response to my email.
How can I directly get in touch with you or @Erin? Thank you in advance.
I’ll flag this to Jaysen and Erin but they are unlikely to pick it up until Monday now.

Reactions: Jaysen

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
White & Case on their winter vac scheme initial application don't seem to have any specific questions other than a cover letter and extracurricular activities question. Should I be aware of anything before I submit this off?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
White & Case on their winter vac scheme initial application don't seem to have any specific questions other than a cover letter and extracurricular activities question. Should I be aware of anything before I submit this off?
A question about events (open days, workshops, etc..) you attended

nma123

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2022
This new mishcon shapers campaign is such a disaster lmfao
Tangentially agree in terms of the question on the application form about demonstrating where you’ve been a “Shaper”. I understand what they’re doing but honestly it puts me off massively when firms ask questions like that, I’m not sure I can word it well but it feels very disingenuous. Don’t know what’s wrong with just a cover letter, all these awful weird questions take so much time and in my opinion invite exaggeration and insincerity from candidates. Most of us are uni students just trying to get by and secure ourselves a future - not all of us have the time or energy to be ‘Shapers’ even if we wanted to. Perhaps I’m just being pessimistic though - would love to hear other opinions!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
Tangentially agree in terms of the question on the application form about demonstrating where you’ve been a “Shaper”. I understand what they’re doing but honestly it puts me off massively when firms ask questions like that, I’m not sure I can word it well but it feels very disingenuous. Don’t know what’s wrong with just a cover letter, all these awful weird questions take so much time and in my opinion invite exaggeration and insincerity from candidates. Most of us are uni students just trying to get by and secure ourselves a future - not all of us have the time or energy to be ‘Shapers’ even if we wanted to. Perhaps I’m just being pessimistic though - would love to hear other opinions!
I think from Mischons perspective it is good to have a unique question as it will make selecting candidates for the VI easier - no copy and paste 'why law' question.

About it being disingenuous - whatever the question is that appears in a law firm app - don't we all lie in law firms applications? Whatever the competency is we make up a scenario, why we are interested in the firm and especially why commercial law.

• Haha
Reactions: InvesmentBanker

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Can anyone provide any experiences they've had with the Travers Smith interview process? It looks to be very unique with the moral/ethical debate interview style without any actual assessments and Im not sure how to interpret the hardship levels of this style of interview and application process. Anyone have any experience?

D

Deleted member 27336

Does anyone know what Jones Day's application process is? One part of their website says there's just an interview before VS, another part says there is a TI plus an in-person assessment centre.

EM23

Esteemed Member
    Dec 10, 2022
    In terms of White & Case's open days questions I do not want to simply list the events I have been to so would listing a few I found helpful and explaining why be a simple structure to follow?

Reactions: S87

lawstudent23237

Premium Member
    Feb 7, 2023
    Was just wondering people's thoughts on this. When firm deadlines are rolling, how early is too early to apply where it wouldn't be in your favour? For instance, Skadden opened vac scheme apps for sept 1st with the deadline being dec 10th, but I think I am ready to apply now (sept 10th). Is this too early or can you not be early enough with rolling deadlines?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Was just wondering people's thoughts on this. When firm deadlines are rolling, how early is too early to apply where it wouldn't be in your favour? For instance, Skadden opened vac scheme apps for sept 1st with the deadline being dec 10th, but I think I am ready to apply now (sept 10th). Is this too early or can you not be early enough with rolling deadlines?
    It depends when you are ready.

I don’t think you are at a disadvantage just because you apply on the first day. But the reality is too many people rush their application in thinking applying early gives them an advantage, when actually they could have done more research, networked with the firm, spent more time reviewing and refining your application. This won’t be the case for everyone, but for many people it will be.

From my experience, even with rolling recruitment, if you apply in the first two-thirds of an application window you will be ahead of more than two-thirds of applicants.

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Looking for input on how long you usually spend per application?

I usually take at least a week or two, and up to 3 weeks on some applications which have had 4-5 questions. I've had 2 successful vac scheme apps last year but also a tonne of rejections, so now I am reconsidering my strategy of taking a long long time to research the firm and make sure every question is perfectly answered, and whether I need to find strategies to be more efficient - so curious how long you usually spend on each app?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.