• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

lllaaawww098

Valued Member
Oct 14, 2022
I applied to Mayer Brown on November 8th and did the tests but have not heard back since with the job simulation although the results for my tests were pretty fine (higher than average in most) - is it a bad sign?

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
i am trying to answer this question, but would it be weird if I talked about a deal another law firm is working on? the company was once their client for some matters but the work is being handled by another city firm.
Choose one of our clients and explain a challenge they are currently facing. What could the organisation do to overcome this challenge and how could we assist?

77777law

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 22, 2023
I personally would recommend something the firm did rather than a specific client. You need to take it from the point of the firm rather than the in-house team.
Sorry @Jessica Booker one last question on this! The question says 'What has Osborne Clarke done recently' - can something from 2021 be considered recent or do you think it has to be from 2022/2023?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i am trying to answer this question, but would it be weird if I talked about a deal another law firm is working on? the company was once their client for some matters but the work is being handled by another city firm.
Choose one of our clients and explain a challenge they are currently facing. What could the organisation do to overcome this challenge and how could we assist?
Be mindful and focus on a challenge a client is facing rather than general client work they have been instructing law firms on. Try to be more forward looking rather than relying on what has happened in the past with the client.

Reactions: oqnqng

crt1s

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 2, 2023
I received an invitation to complete the Ashurst test this morning and I have just logged in to complete it, but it says I have already completed it and the link is not available. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry @Jessica Booker one last question on this! The question says 'What has Osborne Clarke done recently' - can something from 2021 be considered recent or do you think it has to be from 2022/2023?

Thanks!
If it’s late 2021, I think it’s fine as it will be just over two years. If it’s early 2021, I would try to find something more recent, just where it’s closer to 3.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
I received an invitation to complete the Ashurst test this morning and I have just logged in to complete it, but it says I have already completed it and the link is not available. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes. I got the exact same thing. I emailed recruitment team and they responded that I cannot take the test because I cannot take it twice in less than 12 months (I applied last cycle for direct TC). So now I am worried if this means an automatic rejection even that I improved my application, because I got a PFO last time and I am not sure if the test was the reason.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: crt1s

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
Be mindful and focus on a challenge a client is facing rather than general client work they have been instructing law firms on. Try to be more forward looking rather than relying on what has happened in the past with the client.
Thank you for the advice Jessica. I have never read an application answer or question like this so I am struggling to wrap my head around it.
So if the work hasn't been finalised (eg. like a company trying an IPO or M&A), would that be ok? like would you be able to say that finishing that goal would be a challenge?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for the advice Jessica. I have never read an application answer or question like this so I am struggling to wrap my head around it.
So if the work hasn't been finalised (eg. like a company trying an IPO or M&A), would that be ok? like would you be able to say that finishing that goal would be a challenge?
The difficulty here is how will the firm you are applying to be able to support the client on an IPO if they have already instructed another firm to advise on this? Also, there would need to be a challenge with the IPO itself.

Reactions: Untilwinter
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.