• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Reactions: ah898

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I wanted insight on an application question for a Vacation Scheme. The question is: Think of a current commercial issue that has recently attracted your attention. Why does it interest you, why do you consider it to be significant and how do you think this will impact on the firm's clients? What does "significant" mean? Does the firm want to know about the potential opportunities and challenges of the commercial news story?
I would say that they care about knowing why the news you decided to talk about is important according to you. This could be because of the impact it has on the business sector, on society, on law firms, on their clients, whatever you deem significant or important. It is a personal consideration regarding the issue at hand so you should investigate what kind of news you want to talk about and discuss its consequences, and according to those, coupled with other factors (some of which I have mentioned before), you have to specify why the news is important.

Reactions: amrita6399

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, I was just wondering, if I got through to a firm's VI stage last year, and re-applying this year, and their questions for their application are essentially the same, can I more or less copy paste my answers from last year (with some minor edits), or will it be flagged up as plagiarism?
Thanks!
I would try and change the answer. This can also mean changing the verbs and nouns with synonyms without necessarily changing the content of the answer, if you do not have anything to change. However, try to use different experiences if you can or describe experiences you have already talked about last year from a different angle.

Reactions: Bubbles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think this question has been asked before so my apologies for repeating - but what is considered a small trainee intake? Is it anything under 10? Is 12 considered a small intake?
I would say it is generally smaller than many firms, but it depends on the context you are describing here. For a US firm 12 would be large, but for a multi location national firm it may not be that small.

Reactions: lawyergirl

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Got 2 PFOs already - is this usually an indication as to how the rest of my application turnouts are gonna be this cycle? :/
    I think I've had 23 PFO's , don't let two stop you! you might not be a right fit for their firm but another firm will be perfect for you, keep applying and be positive :)

good luck!!

Last edited:

hirene

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 2, 2022
    Anyone having issues with CMS VI? My status says error and it keeps telling me to try later (which i still cant) - I reached our to CMS team and awaiting their response but in this case they would give me extension if the issue doesn't get fixed until the deadline right?? 🥺😭

saqlain09

• Dec 18, 2023
    Hi, has anyone applied to the CMS training contract this year? I am due to do my video interview with them and was hoping for some guidance from people that have experience with the firm. This is my first shot so I really don't want to make a mess of it. Let me know!

Reactions: Sharon Wu
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.