• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Little Tuesday Rant

Feeling a little bummed this week, on top of all the personal stuff going on in my life I have had around 4/5 PFO within a week. I understand it is a competitive process but it is brutal mentally! finishing with a first class degree means nothing if you cant speak into your camera for 1 minute trying to persuade someone why you should be picked or if you can't tell if a conclusion follows even if they ask in the most absurd way.

would rather do rock paper scissors or connect four as a test (thinking under pressure)!!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Little Tuesday Rant

Feeling a little bummed this week, on top of all the personal stuff going on in my life I have had around 4/5 PFO within a week. I understand it is a competitive process but it is brutal mentally! finishing with a first class degree means nothing if you cant speak into your camera for 1 minute trying to persuade someone why you should be picked or if you can't tell if a conclusion follows even if they ask in the most absurd way.

would rather do rock paper scissors or connect four as a test (thinking under pressure)!!
    ngl I completely echo what you're feeling; its such a gruelling process and im defo feeling the same effects you are today.

the only thing I can say that the biggest + the most hardest thing to do rn is to keep at it. stick to your schedules, keep doing what you're doing and take time out for yourself. this whole process honestly jus tests your mental resilience and perseverance. you also have to be disciplined, yes its frustrating to have these rejections so its good to have a lil bit of a break, a bit of a breather where you're detached from thinking about this (+ the forum) and realign and remind yourself as to why youre in this process in the first place. keep at it and honestly I have no doubt you'll get that TC. im rooting for you

You Got This GIF

user9809

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    Little Tuesday Rant

I feel you. I’ve done sooo many practice Watson Glasers over the past 2 months, brought books on them etc and getting 85%+ in practices but not teaching firm benchmarks. Onwards and upwards I guess!

TC seeker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    How should I answer the question like" Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector". I mean if I haven't attended any of the open day of the firm I‘m applying, how should I talk about other firm's open day and link it to this firm?

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    How should I answer the question like" Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector". I mean if I haven't attended any of the open day of the firm I‘m applying, how should I talk about other firm's open day and link it to this firm?
    I think it literally is asking what is says, no need to link it to the firm I don't think!

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
    Hello all - first post here.

Has anyone answered the second Question on the Baker McKenzie vac scheme app? "Choose one of our clients and explain a challenge they are currently facing. What could the organisation do to overcome this challenge and how could we assist?" (300)

- any tips?
    - usually a lot of firms post work they have completed, how does that translate to a current client?
    - I feel as though if you talk about deals / work that the firm has posted, it isn't really a current challenge anymore.

Pls help! any insight would be great.

Reactions: atlas2425
    Little Tuesday Rant

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! But you have to remember, like you said, it's a very competitive and over-saturated industry with everyone from Oxford uni first class holders to career changers from top global companies - therefore, rejection is to be expected.

And, tbf as far as other industries go, it could be worse... ask anyone who is in the entertainment industry (especially acting) how they feel. Anything worth having requires resilience and all of this is a learning curve. I received no less than 30 rejections last year before I got a magic circle offer. And it turned out for the best because 1) I needed to learn more about the industry to improve my applications and 2) As cringey as it is, rejection truly was redirection because I focused on applying for US firms last year solely because I wanted the big £150K+ salaries (I was 19 lol) and I truly think as I look back that those rejections were redirections because I wasn't approaching applications properly.

All this to say, it's very tough and hurtful at times but perseverance will be what gets you through, if I gave up on my 30th rejection, I never would have seen my 31st application succeed!

*Also, video interviews suck but practicing really helps. If you make TikToks that's actually a great way to help you to get used to talking quickly to yourself about something you are passionate about.

Good luck!

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Is it okay if I respond under the time given for a VI? Say we have 2 minutes and my answer is 1.5? Feel like I'm guilty of this lol
    Nothing wrong with this but I would always advise you use all the time you’re assigned. If you are consistently under, it may be worth planning your answers ahead and practicing to make sure you’re hitting the 2 mins mark. The way I see it is, the more stuff you say (that is relevant) the more points you score!

Reactions: futuretrainee2025

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You don’t need to explicitly link it to the firm you are applying to. However, you may want to identify elements of other law firm’s events that align with the firm you are applying to. For instance, did you do a real estate case study at an open day, and the firm you are applying to has a great real estate team? Did you learn about AI in the legal sector at an evening webinar, and is the firm you are applying to a leader in legal advice for the AI sector?

For anyone doing the Allen & Overy assessment centre:

I have just found out from the recruiters that they have enough offers for everyone who gets a WVS to have a TC and for the past 5 years, there has been a 100% retention from WVS and there are no more assessments/ interviews after the AC to get the scheme, therefore now that I have "an almost" TC, here is the advice I would give for anyone who has an upcoming A&O AC. Bear in mind the AC is 5 hours long online with only 3 breaks so that is why we don't have further assessments because it is very intense. Anyways, hope this helps!

1) Make sure to look out for key info in the case study and do not waste time reading the whole extract. There were only 3 questions for the case study and the questions specifically say "go to section e or read section f". It's really tempting to read everything but you must focus solely on the questions and answers.

2) Have a notebook nearby to write down your answer because you'll have to present your answers to the three questions for the case study and that presentation should be 15 minutes long ideally. Having a notebook to jot down things will be important because after the presentation, the interviewer will test your comprehension of the rest of the extract.

3) Research common legal solutions for clients. Basically, make sure for the case study exercise that you know what warranties and indemnities are and make sure you suggest them as solutions. (Just do it, the trainees on LinkedIN told me to do so and here I am so it works lol). Go on Investiopedia for research warranties and indemnities so you understand them. Also, learn about balance sheets because one of the sources for the case study is a balance sheet and you want to ensure that you can read a balance sheet.

4) Have a calculator. The second case study question is a mathematical question which can only be done via a calculator. You must ensure that you explain your working out when presenting. Don't worry about getting the answer wrong. I got it wrong lol. But you must explain your working out and the interviewer will go through it with you, just make sure to demonstrate that you understand where you went wrong.

5) Have a cup of water to sip in case you get nervous so you can take a moment to compose yourself.

6) For the written exercise, there is no technique. Just write clearly and concisely with a good structure e.g. firstly, secondly, lastly.

7) For the scenario based interview, make sure to fully explain yourself and at the end when you ask questions, don't ask boring generic questions only like "why law?", if the interviewer seems kind and accepting, feel free to ask deeper questions like "if you were a trainee again, what advice would you have wanted to hear before starting a training contract at Allen & Overy?"

8) It's a very long process, mine was 4 hours and 45 minutes in total. Make sure your wifi and mic work and remain calm, you got this!

9) Reach out to trainees on LinkedIN for tips, they're really forthcoming!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.