• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Standardlawapplicant

Oct 30, 2023
I would appreciate any advice thank you!

In the last week I have had:

Linklaters post AC PFO.
A&O post AC PFO.

I have now had 10 straight post AC PFO's in a row. My feedback is typically that I have good commercial awareness/technical knowledge, but sometimes my (why x firm) has felt scripted or that I lacked drive. I am clearly doing something wrong considering I have had this many PFO's. How should I go about really showing I want to work at the firm?

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    I would appreciate any advice thank you!

In the last week I have had:

Linklaters post AC PFO.
    A&O post AC PFO.

I have now had 10 straight post AC PFO's in a row. My feedback is typically that I have good commercial awareness/technical knowledge, but sometimes my (why x firm) has felt scripted or that I lacked drive. I am clearly doing something wrong considering I have had this many PFO's. How should I go about really showing I want to work at the firm?
    Hi there,

first of all congrats on two ACs at two amazing firms. Have you done any mock interviews or practice interviews? It might be worth this (most university careers services will offer this, please don't pay), to give more detailed feedback on why this appears the case.

Do you think that you handle nerves by removing emotion from your answers? If you are answering in a deadpan way this may be why they feel you are not enthusiastic enough - try and let a little of that emotion back in (if this is the case)

ChanA2626

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 22, 2022
    Bit unrelated to the London market, but just received Slaughter and May's Hong Kong summer vac interview invite for those interested.

Also wanted to ask whether they permit 2 separate applications to 2 offices within the same application cycle, and whether that would affect either/both for reasons such as genuinity? Cheers all.

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

taliagibson

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 1, 2023
    Hi @axelbeugre I have got through to the second stage interview for Gibson Dunn and was wondering if you had any advice? They said it would be an article review with questions and then an interview based on my CV. From past processes, I assume this is the final stage but it is online which I think is new this year? Primarily wondering what type of article they give you and what sort of questions they ask about it and also how the CV interview questions differ from the first stage?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.