• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2022
Because they want to make sure you are committed to that location.

Regional firms have had decades of people trying to game the recruitment system by thinking if they apply to a less popular office, they can be successful in the recruitment process and then try to upgrade the offer to the office location that actually suits them.

Firms want to recruit people who will train, qualify and stay with that office, and asking this question on an application or at a video interview is a good way of weeding out those people who are not committed to working in that location.
As someone who lives in the North, is there any point of me applying for Burges Salmon who's office is in Bristol? I have no connections to Bristol at all, and tbh, I wouldn't even accept a TC there. I'm not applying because I think getting a VS is easier at a regional firm, I just want shoot out as many apps as I can. They do say it's a numbers game.

Vacation scheme = experience on CV if I don't get another VS offer.

It does say they have a London office but the VS seems to be at Bristol.

SK02

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 11, 2021
Was this after VI? if yes, I completed VI on the 28th and didnt get that email, nor any update!
No, I haven't received the VI invite yet. I just received only this email after the application. May I ask when did you put in the application and for which office, and when did you receive the invite for the VI?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Oh okay that makes sense thank you so much! My real reasons for applying to the Manchester office are: my family lives relatively near Manchester; it is an interesting city which I have never lived in before, so it would be nice to experience a different city; and it is big and has a lot going on. Would these reasons be okay to say?

Do I need to say something about what the Manchester office actually does? Or is it okay to just discuss location?
You can talk about the personal aspects that tie you to the location outside of work, but I would try to also include anything about the specifics of the work that the firm does in that office too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As someone who lives in the North, is there any point of me applying for Burges Salmon who's office is in Bristol? I have no connections to Bristol at all, and tbh, I wouldn't even accept a TC there. I'm not applying because I think getting a VS is easier at a regional firm, I just want shoot out as many apps as I can. They do say it's a numbers game.

Vacation scheme = experience on CV if I don't get another VS offer.

It does say they have a London office but the VS seems to be at Bristol.
You can apply, but I think you’d get filtered out at some point in the process anyway. For a city like Bristol and specifically for VS applications, they will not be wanting people who are trying to build their CV up, they will be looking for potential TC converts who are committed to the region.

Jul 23, 2022
is it worth applying to hogan lovells this late? or is it better to focus on firms that are non rolling?
Honestly I can't stress this enough ignore rolling basis. I applied Hogans 2 weeks ago and still waiting for their WG ffs.

White & Case whole month ago and won't hear back until after deadline.

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: law23 and futuretrainee202X

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2021
No, I haven't received the VI invite yet. I just received only this email after the application. May I ask when did you put in the application and for which office, and when did you receive the invite for the VI?
I applied to London VS on the 14th of December at 11:58 pm and they invited me to VI on the 23rd, then I had 5 days to complete it. I have seen people receive invitations even before the 23rd.

But if they sent you that email then it is definitely not a PFO! they are making sure that you don't give up on them before they have made a decision. It could also be that your application was like in the gray zone, and that now they are not satisfied with the pool of people they have received VIs from, and decided to invite more people to VI? It could also be that they reviewed my application earlier bc I'm international and that requires more planning... idk I have no idea these are just hypothesis. Either way, don't count yourself out yet !

Reactions: SK02

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Do firms allow you to share VS dates? Ie. if you get two offers to two vac schemes can you do both if they overlap, by doing one week at one, another at the other?
Highly unlikely for most firms, especially missing the first week of one scheme as you need to go through a whole load of onboarding processes.

But it has been known - its just rare.

Reactions: law23
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.