• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztyh

Premium Member
Jun 22, 2022
hey! if an application form provides space for an optional cover letter (after 6 application questions), is it advisable to fill it in? if so, should it follow the format of why commercial law/why me/why firm or focus on a particular area?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey! if an application form provides space for an optional cover letter (after 6 application questions), is it advisable to fill it in? if so, should it follow the format of why commercial law/why me/why firm or focus on a particular area?
If the questions are covering motivations reasons for the career/the firm/the opportunity, then no need to provide a cover letter. It is probably a default where the system is used for other vacancies.

Reactions: ztyh

Zaakir

Valued Member
May 9, 2023
Does anyone have a list of law firms that actually care about getting a first? And by “care”, I mean to the extent that they, for the most part and bar the occasional anomaly, won’t interview candidates with 2.1s. Thanks!

OllieCockman

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2024
WhatsApp Image 2024-05-20 at 20.53.18_aec1da3b.jpg

Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
Have Cleary Gottlieb shut their direct tc app window before the deadline? perhaps cos they are rolling? I tried applying via the link but the website says "no open positions". could others please confirm? Thanks.
They won't be recruiting from the direct TC route this year. All TCs will go to vac scheme candidates.

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
They won't be recruiting from the direct TC route this year. All TCs will go to vac scheme candidates.
I'm wondering how many firms are going to do this this year... several firms that are on the TCLA list as having a "healthy direct TC intake" are not planning on opening direct TC applications which sucks especially since some firms don't even say on their website that they primarily recruit through VS so some of us chose to apply direct TC instead for various reasons and now don't have the option (*cough* Latham *cough*)
I'm considering emailing firms such as W&C that are open for direct TC but traditionally give a large proportion of TCs to their vac schemers to check direct applicants actually stand a chance

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
I'm wondering how many firms are going to do this this year... several firms that are on the TCLA list as having a "healthy direct TC intake" are not planning on opening direct TC applications which sucks especially since some firms don't even say on their website that they primarily recruit through VS so some of us chose to apply direct TC instead for various reasons and now don't have the option (*cough* Latham *cough*)
I'm considering emailing firms such as W&C that are open for direct TC but traditionally give a large proportion of TCs to their vac schemers to check direct applicants actually stand a chance
I think it may be because of market conditions. Historically, White & Case recruits predominantly from vac schemes. I heard of a person securing a tc with W&C via the direct TC route. But the whole process took many months if I remember correctly. Chances of securing a TC with W&C via the direct TC route are slim but I’d still give it a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: trainee2025

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
I think it may be because of market conditions. Historically, White & Case recruits predominately from vac schemes. I heard of a person securing a tc with W&C via the direct TC route. But the whole process took many months if I remember correctly. Chances of securing a TC with W&C via the direct TC route are slim but I’d still give it a shot.
Yeah I think it's market conditions too but it's just very unfortunate considering vac schemes are inaccessible to certain demographics so recruiting essentially solely through them impedes access which is desirable for neither firms nor applicants.

I found somewhere that W&C recruit roughly 20% through direct TC which would be 10 TCs but may well be old (edit: I got the 20% stat from their website which says they recruit approximately 80% of their trainees from VS). I've heard of a few people securing a TC through the direct route so thought it wasn't completely hopeless but given the trend of firms not even opening direct routes this year I feel like it might not be worth it this cycle...

It's all just very frustrating.

Last edited:

rn7

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2019
Does anybody know when most firms will begin second-stage/in-person interviews for direct TC applicants? I have submitted about 10 applications and want to take a longish trip outside the UK for most of June. If I were to progress, is there a chance some of the in-person interviews would take place during the month of June?

LillyandSilver

Legendary Member
Oct 18, 2023
Does anybody know when most firms will begin second-stage/in-person interviews for direct TC applicants? I have submitted about 10 applications and want to take a longish trip outside the UK for most of June. If I were to progress, is there a chance some of the in-person interviews would take place during the month of June?
I normally judge it based on when the last option to interview was plus a few weeks for a response and then a few weeks for a new date. Not always the best but sometimes it gives a rough idea. Also depends on if this is the final interview and if the firms run a vacation scheme. If you interviewed in early May it is quite likely you will be interviewing again in early/mid june. Also it gets quicker the further you progress and the fewer people there are.

rn7

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2019
I normally judge it based on when the last option to interview was plus a few weeks for a response and then a few weeks for a new date. Not always the best but sometimes it gives a rough idea. Also depends on if this is the final interview and if the firms run a vacation scheme. If you interviewed in early May it is quite likely you will be interviewing again in early/mid june. Also it gets quicker the further you progress and the fewer people there are.
Thanks for the input - to clarify, I have not heard back at all from any of the firms I submitted direct TC applications to. I assumed it is because most of them do run schemes, and so will not start assessing the direct applicants until after their summer schemes wrap up. The deadlines for most close later this month or in June, if that is of any help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It will really vary from now through to September unfortunately.

• 🤝
Reactions: TC seeker and rn7
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.