• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

e1996

Star Member
Dec 16, 2021
I'm neither of them but email Freshfields - [email protected]
I made a huge error which i noticed today i emailed and asked if they could withdraw my application. they responded within 20 minutes confirming they had withdrawn me to allow me to reapply with an updated personal statement. this was only 1 hour ago
Thanks for your reply! Maybe i should do this

Reactions: Legalstalker

ikeRoss

Star Member
Sep 1, 2023
I was quite over the word limit - 1200 words. As it didn't say anything in the application form itself about word limit (only on the website) I didn't realise until I went to check something else on the website just now

The question stated 'in no more than 850 words...' so whilst you cannot change what you have submitted they were likely also assessing how concise you are able to write within the world limit

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Slaughter and May Interview Invite - Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Congratulations! This is amazing news!

Here are some tips on the forum that might be helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....for-slaughter-and-may-interview.314/post-1264

I hope you find them useful and good luck with the interview!

• 🏆
Reactions: Nick03

e1996

Star Member
Dec 16, 2021
I'm neither of them but email Freshfields - [email protected]
I made a huge error which i noticed today i emailed and asked if they could withdraw my application. they responded within 20 minutes confirming they had withdrawn me to allow me to reapply with an updated personal statement. this was only 1 hour ago!
Thanks again for suggesting this !! I emailed them and they replied very quickly and re-opened the application.

• 🏆

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Would it be alright to add an upcoming vacation scheme to the work experience section for a TC application? It doesn’t fit in my personal statement and there’s no additional information section. I don’t know if it’s worth it as there’s not much I can say apart from that I will be taking part and sitting in 2 practice areas.
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
having a vacation scheme on your CV is helpful but only if you have already attended it as you will be able to talk about it in-depth. I personally would not mention for two main reasons:
  • Firstly, you are not going to mention it in your personal statement which means that you probably have other experiences to talk about, which is perfect. I would mainly focus on those and try to find ways, during the interview, to highlight the most important things from them.
  • Secondly, the vacation scheme is likely to over-shine all your other experiences so it is important that you are able to talk about your experience in detail and since you have not done it yet, it might be risky to put it, especially for the interview. They will surely ask you about it and you do not want to find yourself in the position to correct yourself and say you are not able to talk about it as it has not happened yet.
I hope this is helpful and good luck with your application journey!

Reactions: Zi48

LB24

Valued Member
Sep 26, 2023
It might be that they are very busy for whatever reason so I personally would not think too much into it. I totally understand that waiting so long is nerve-wracking and so you could message them graduate recruitment asking for updates on your application. I did it a couple of time last year and they usually either give you the result or explain why they are being late.
Hi, thanks.

I emailed them asking if they needed updated grades in November and then again emailed about 2 weeks ago asking for an update and heard nothing back from either 😭

S2L24

Jan 10, 2024
For those who have been invited to a Pinsent Masons AC, have you received any further details as to timings? I have booked my date, but cannot see what time it starts, whether it will be a half or full day etc.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
having a vacation scheme on your CV is helpful but only if you have already attended it as you will be able to talk about it in-depth. I personally would not mention for two main reasons:
  • Firstly, you are not going to mention it in your personal statement which means that you probably have other experiences to talk about, which is perfect. I would mainly focus on those and try to find ways, during the interview, to highlight the most important things from them.
  • Secondly, the vacation scheme is likely to over-shine all your other experiences so it is important that you are able to talk about your experience in detail and since you have not done it yet, it might be risky to put it, especially for the interview. They will surely ask you about it and you do not want to find yourself in the position to correct yourself and say you are not able to talk about it as it has not happened yet.
I hope this is helpful and good luck with your application journey!
Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I attended an application masterclass by Freshfields a few weeks ago, in this the grad rec rep mentioned that we weren't required to provide GCSE grades for the Trainee Associate Programme, however, on the vantage form there is a page for secondary education results (GCSEs), is this the same reason as why it's there for the CV upload option? @Jessica Booker

Thanks in advance!!

rjay

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    Is it okay if my cv for the Freshfields application is about one and half pages or it is better to leave it strictly one paged. As an international student, I'm not entirely sure of the CV requirements in the uk.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @axelbeugre, for McDermott Will & Emery, the deadline for TC applications was 31 October but it looks as though nobody has received any communication from them post-app.

Is it safe to assume that they’ve just decided to not take trainees on or have offered TCs internally?

I spoke to a future trainee who got a TC offer in 2023 and they had already had their AC by this time last year.
    I don’t think you can make any assumptions on this unfortunately, especially because recruitment isn’t necessarily identical from cycle to cycle.

Given the timeframe, contact the firm and ask whether they can provide an update on the a status of your application or when you may hear back.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello - do we need to submit a CV for the Freshfields TC application? There is an option to submit a CV but I haven’t seen many people discuss it so wasn’t sure if it was necessary 😀
    No - it’s just a quirk of their system where they use the same application system for lateral hire and business services roles.

Reactions: Seville123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.