• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
Rejected from Stephenson Harwood summer VS but they asked if I would like to be considered for a TC?

Asking for anyone's experience if this is common? Not quite sure whether to treat the news as sad rejection news!
Definitely good news. From what I know Stephenson Harwood recruits a lot of trainees through the direct training contract route (unlike some firms) so you still have a fair chance of getting a TC!

• 🤝
Reactions: csyn and Alice G

csyn

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
I would take that as good news :)

Definitely good news. From what I know Stephenson Harwood recruits a lot of trainees through the direct training contract route (unlike some firms) so you still have a fair chance of getting a TC!

ahh okay! was starting to think it was just a common courtesy rejection message hahah. Thank you both - really helpful, I appreciate it :)

Reactions: lawlad and Alice G

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
sorry if this has already been asked - what recruitment agency did you use? I'm also looking for some paralegal work to start once my exams are over ;)

I'd recommend trying with the following agencies:
- Strictly Recruitment (law firms)
- Graff Search (in-house)
- Pure Search (in-house)
- DMJ Legal (in-house + co-sec)
- Jameson Legal (law firms)

Probably goes without saying, but they will mostly advertise for London only.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Guys do you know if Akin Gump only hires from VS?

@Daniel Boden you had an AC with them, do you have an info?

Thank you
I am not 100% certain re. Akin Gump, but most US firms I know of do tend to recruit from vac schemes predominantly. They have a much lower intake than many UK origin firms who have a higher capacity, therefore, to recruit through VSs and TCs unless they explicitly state they take from just VSs, like HSF.

Reactions: S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I am not 100% certain re. Akin Gump, but most US firms I know of do tend to recruit from vac schemes predominantly. They have a much lower intake than many UK origin firms who have a higher capacity, therefore, to recruit through VSs and TCs unless they explicitly state they take from just VSs, like HSF.

Hi Alice,

Thank you for your response. Would you mind telling me to which US firm are your referring to? I will create a post later this week after a deep research.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Alice,

Thank you for your response. Would you mind telling me to which US firm are your referring to? I will create a post later this week after a deep research.
I know that Latham and Shearman tend to recruit mostly from vacs. In fact, I want to say that Shearman might now recruit exclusively from vacation schemes. Am I right in thinking this @Paul - Shearman & Sterling? I thought I saw something in the Monday Q&As a while back though I might be mistaken!

I also know Kirkland favour vacation scheme participants, as do Weil and Gibson Dunn I believe. Are you able to confirm the latter two @Daniel Boden?

I think White & Case could possibly be slightly different but they have a very sizeable intake each year versus the other US firms so this probably explains that though. I think they do still mostly recruit from vacs but can't be 100%, maybe someone else is better placed to advise on W&C specifically.

Reactions: S87

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Does anyone know when Macfarlanes are doing their TC ACs this year? Think there is an earlier one and then one after all the vac schemes are complete but not sure if the first one has already happened

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I know that Latham and Shearman tend to recruit mostly from vacs. In fact, I want to say that Shearman might now recruit exclusively from vacation schemes. Am I right in thinking this @Paul - Shearman & Sterling? I thought I saw something in the Monday Q&As a while back though I might be mistaken!

I also know Kirkland favour vacation scheme participants, as do Weil and Gibson Dunn I believe. Are you able to confirm the latter two @Daniel Boden?

I think White & Case could possibly be slightly different but they have a very sizeable intake each year versus the other US firms so this probably explains that though. I think they do still mostly recruit from vacs but can't be 100%, maybe someone else is better placed to advise on W&C specifically.
Thank you very much @Alice G

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Guys do you know if Akin Gump only hires from VS?

@Daniel Boden you had an AC with them, do you have an info?

Thank you

Thanks for your message @S87. Akin Gump basically solely recruits from VS - they only hold TC interviews if it doesn't get the desired amount of trainees from the scheme. Weil and Kirkland have the same approach but Gibson Dunn only recruits from VS barring exceptional circumstances. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Alice G and S87

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks for your message @S87. Akin Gump basically solely recruits from VS - they only hold TC interviews if it doesn't get the desired amount of trainees from the scheme. Weil and Kirkland have the same approach but Gibson Dunn only recruits from VS barring exceptional circumstances. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much @Daniel Boden

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    A&O have been hosting 'trainee takeovers' on their Instagram account and think the final one is tomorrow. Just seen on Linkedin they are inviting people to submit questions for some trainees to answer on tomorrow's takeover - the account name I believe is @aomadeformore. Think this is a really great way to engage with the firm and learn a little bit more about corporate law more generally so please do make the most of firms offering these kinds of things guys! Nothing stopping you writing what you learn from these virtual interactions in your apps for next cycle...

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    Have a virtual workshop with Lewis Silkin on Wednesday (was originally 3 days with some time spent sitting with a team but not yet sure of the format other than knowing there will be presentations and networking opportunities). There will be a chance to ask questions so planning to do some more in depth research on the firm for research.

Anyone else attending? Anyone have any tips for preparing for things like this?

• 🏆
    Reactions: tractor12

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Have a virtual workshop with Lewis Silkin on Wednesday (was originally 3 days with some time spent sitting with a team but not yet sure of the format other than knowing there will be presentations and networking opportunities). There will be a chance to ask questions so planning to do some more in depth research on the firm for research.

Anyone else attending? Anyone have any tips for preparing for things like this?
    This sounds great! I hope you enjoy it :) in terms of prep I would genuinely just say try to think about what matters to you from a firm and make sure you ask those questions so you can better gauge how suited you feel to them, this really is a two-way street after all even though it doesn't feel like it sometimes. Make sure you research really well and ask the questions which truly cannot be found online. Otherwise, check out the video interview tips thread here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/video-interviews-tips-and-tricks.2324/, as this gives what I hope are some handy dos and don'ts for virtual interviews and video conferences.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.