Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker. With this question, it specifically states to keep the firm's values of trust, innovation and collaboration in mind. Should I link the firm's values to what I have learnt in the role?
Remember this "impact" does not have to be a role. They have signposted that it should be an event or person.

Reactions: 👩🎓

Zaina

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @Ram Sabaratnam Hope you’re well. I was looking into some UK law firms and only found out about Cooley through your post. Its success in tech and VC/ECs really spoke to me and now I am considering applying for their insight day (and hopefully summer internship thereafter). You mentioned them focusing on ‘regulatory’ work in tech. When looking into their data/privacy practice area, I found out about CooleyREG. This might be stupid but what does ‘regulatory’ approach mean? Why is it unique and important for clients? Thanks.

ashwright

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Hey @ashwright, I have linked the glossary of M&A terms HERE :)
    Thank you so, so much @Amma Usman - you're the absolute best!! The glossary is *exactly* what I need!! If I may - I'd really appreciate if I could ask another quick question 😊

I've been using flashcards to memorise a lot of the content in the Stoakes book (like breaking down each section into sentence-by-sentence flashcards). I'm not sure if this is overkill but the problem is I have such a terrible memory that there's no way I'd remember everything or even anything.. I'm not sure whether to continue with trying to effectively memorise the Stoakes book OR if I should try to branch out to other things (even if that means remembering a lot less).

I have learned and remembered about 20% of the Stoakes so far - I'm just worried that this is not really practical or giving the right breadth of knowledge for an AC.. I read an FT article each day and listen to a daily news briefing podcast but am just a little lost on what to prioritise out of courses or books if I had to attend an AC in the next few weeks.

👩🎓

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    Hi all! I was wondering if anyone had some advice on approaching this question - Describe a specific instance where you have utilised artificial intelligence (AI) or other technologies in your work or studies. How have these tools enhanced your personal development? (I haven't really used AI in my work or studies, so I'm not sure how to approach this question).

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

tosin4774

Star Member
    Jun 6, 2024
    Hi, in my application for an open day at a law firm I talked about how I would like to attend the open day to gain insight about the firm's practice area specifically M&A, where that desire comes from. My struggle right now is I don't know what else to say

Could anyone please help me with this
    Thanks.

Amma Usman

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Thank you so, so much @Amma Usman - you're the absolute best!! The glossary is *exactly* what I need!! If I may - I'd really appreciate if I could ask another quick question 😊

I've been using flashcards to memorise a lot of the content in the Stoakes book (like breaking down each section into sentence-by-sentence flashcards). I'm not sure if this is overkill but the problem is I have such a terrible memory that there's no way I'd remember everything or even anything.. I'm not sure whether to continue with trying to effectively memorise the Stoakes book OR if I should try to branch out to other things (even if that means remembering a lot less).

I have learned and remembered about 20% of the Stoakes so far - I'm just worried that this is not really practical or giving the right breadth of knowledge for an AC.. I read an FT article each day and listen to a daily news briefing podcast but am just a little lost on what to prioritise out of courses or books if I had to attend an AC in the next few weeks.
    Hi @ashwright , I understand your concern, and I think it’s great that you’re putting so much effort into preparing. However, don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed with so much content, especially when aiming to remember it all. Memorising entire sections, sentence-by-sentence, may not be the most effective approach for an Assessment Centre (AC). Rather than focusing on cramming, I’d suggest shifting your approach to understanding the key themes and ideas from the Stoakes book.

For ACs, the goal is not to know one resource in depth but to demonstrate a broader understanding of the industry and how it functions. It’s more valuable to grasp the big picture and be able to discuss key points confidently.

Consider prioritising quality over quantity. You’re already reading the FT and keeping up with news – that’s exactly what will help build your commercial awareness, which is crucial for ACs. So instead of trying to master everything in one source, focus on:

1. Summarising key themes from the Stoakes book and using them as a foundation.

2. Following market trends through articles and news briefings, which will give you a well-rounded perspective.

3. Practicing articulating your thoughts on various topics, as what matters most is how you communicate your understanding.

Remember, you’re already doing so much, and that in itself is impressive. Don’t worry about knowing everything. Instead, aim to feel comfortable discussing a few topics well. You’ve got this! 😊

• 🏆
    Reactions: ashwright

Amma Usman

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hi all! I was wondering if anyone had some advice on approaching this question - Describe a specific instance where you have utilised artificial intelligence (AI) or other technologies in your work or studies. How have these tools enhanced your personal development? (I haven't really used AI in my work or studies, so I'm not sure how to approach this question).

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
    Hi! I totally understand where you’re coming from. I think looking at the wording of the question is really important here. It’s not limited to just artificial intelligence—it also says or other technologies. So, think about any tech tools you’ve used, even if they’re not advanced AI systems.

For example, have you ever used Grammarly for spell-checking and improving your writing? Or maybe Excel for managing data? Even tools like Google Calendar, Zoom, or note-taking apps like Notion count! It’s less about using the most sophisticated tech and more about highlighting how these tools helped enhance your personal development or productivity.

Reactions: 👩🎓

Amma Usman

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hi, in my application for an open day at a law firm I talked about how I would like to attend the open day to gain insight about the firm's practice area specifically M&A, where that desire comes from. My struggle right now is I don't know what else to say

Could anyone please help me with this
    Thanks.
    Hi @tosin4774 . Given the word count of most open day applications, I would say this is enough if you expand on it further. For this to be enough, however, M&A needs to be the firms core practice area/one of their core practices. If the firm has any Chambers Rankings on this practice, or if you’ve read on any standout deals which bolstered your desire to learn more about this practice area at the firm specifically, then feel free to mention that as well.

Reactions: tosin4774

👩🎓

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 31, 2023
    Hi! I totally understand where you’re coming from. I think looking at the wording of the question is really important here. It’s not limited to just artificial intelligence—it also says or other technologies. So, think about any tech tools you’ve used, even if they’re not advanced AI systems.

For example, have you ever used Grammarly for spell-checking and improving your writing? Or maybe Excel for managing data? Even tools like Google Calendar, Zoom, or note-taking apps like Notion count! It’s less about using the most sophisticated tech and more about highlighting how these tools helped enhance your personal development or productivity.
    Thank you so much for your advice, this is genuinely very helpful.

Reactions: Amma Usman

tosin4774

Star Member
    Jun 6, 2024
    Hi @tosin4774 . Given the word count of most open day applications, I would say this is enough if you expand on it further. For this to be enough, however, M&A needs to be the firms core practice area/one of their core practices. If the firm has any Chambers Rankings on this practice, or if you’ve read on any standout deals which bolstered your desire to learn more about this practice area at the firm specifically, then feel free to mention that as well.
    Must the deals be related to the firm. Also When adding the deals should I include the issues it raises and what else

rocky123

Premium Member
    Oct 5, 2024
    Hi,
    Thanks for this thread - what I've read has been very helpful.

How important is work experience / extra-curricular / leadership activities? As someone from an ex-consulting background, I'm used to firms eg Bain placing a lot of value on leadership etc. For law, from what I've read so far, the impetus seems more on commercial awareness and in particular the strength of the application itself?

Amma Usman

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hi,
    Thanks for this thread - what I've read has been very helpful.

How important is work experience / extra-curricular / leadership activities? As someone from an ex-consulting background, I'm used to firms eg Bain placing a lot of value on leadership etc. For law, from what I've read so far, the impetus seems more on commercial awareness and in particular the strength of the application itself?
    Hi @rocky123 ,

Thank you for your question! I would say that all three factors—work experience, extracurriculars, and leadership activities—are highly valued in law firm applications as well. While commercial awareness is indeed a crucial aspect, leadership and a well-rounded skill set are equally important.

Transferable skills gained from experiences in consulting, such as teamwork, problem-solving, and client management, are all very relevant in law. Additionally, your consulting background already suggests strong commercial awareness, which will certainly be an asset.

It’s also worth noting that your work experience doesn’t have to be strictly legal. Your consulting background showcases a strong understanding of business contexts, which law firms appreciate, as the legal expertise will be developed through the PGDL, SQE, and on-the-job training.

Overall, aim to present yourself as a well-rounded candidate who brings both commercial and interpersonal strengths to the table.

ashwright

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Hi @ashwright , I understand your concern, and I think it’s great that you’re putting so much effort into preparing. However, don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed with so much content, especially when aiming to remember it all. Memorising entire sections, sentence-by-sentence, may not be the most effective approach for an Assessment Centre (AC). Rather than focusing on cramming, I’d suggest shifting your approach to understanding the key themes and ideas from the Stoakes book.

For ACs, the goal is not to know one resource in depth but to demonstrate a broader understanding of the industry and how it functions. It’s more valuable to grasp the big picture and be able to discuss key points confidently.

Consider prioritising quality over quantity. You’re already reading the FT and keeping up with news – that’s exactly what will help build your commercial awareness, which is crucial for ACs. So instead of trying to master everything in one source, focus on:

1. Summarising key themes from the Stoakes book and using them as a foundation.

2. Following market trends through articles and news briefings, which will give you a well-rounded perspective.

3. Practicing articulating your thoughts on various topics, as what matters most is how you communicate your understanding.

Remember, you’re already doing so much, and that in itself is impressive. Don’t worry about knowing everything. Instead, aim to feel comfortable discussing a few topics well. You’ve got this! 😊
    Thank you @Amma Usman ! That's really set me at ease - I really appreciate your thoughts on the best approach for AC prep. You're an absolute legend! Thank you again <3

lawyersum

Star Member
    Jun 28, 2024

Hi Amma, your advice for this question is very helpful. Do you think me using Canva to create attractive, tailored posts for social media followers in my role as marketing manager for an event would be a suitable example? In terms of how it enhanced my personal development, I'm thinking perhaps mentioning how making posts increased my creativity, ability to tailor work to audiences etc. What do you think?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.