• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Ask 4 future trainees ANYTHING! *New TCLA Team Members*

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi All,
I was curious what are thhe kinds of feeback you've received post AC where the outcome was a rejection.
Thanks

Hi @futuretcholder

It's great that you're already thinking about the feedback you might receive post AC. Reflecting on this early is such an important step in improving your performance over time. I’ve had a range of feedback myself, and I’ve found that it tends to fall into a few key areas. I've tried to organise this feedback clearly below and hope it makes sense. Hopefully, this will be helpful for you!
  1. Motivation:
    • One area where I received feedback was around my motivations for joining the profession. At times, interviewers were unsure about my commitment to commercial law, which may have been because I leaned heavily on examples from my experience in the legal aid sector during motivational and competency interviews. While those experiences were valuable, it's crucial to demonstrate that your passion for commercial law is genuine and well-considered. Law firms want to know not only that you're motivated but that your reasons for pursuing commercial law align with what the role entails. Having a well-rounded narrative, backed by considered reasons and diverse examples, shows that you understand what is distinctive about commercial practice.
  2. Interviewing Skills:
    • Being quite extroverted, I enjoy speaking with people, but this sometimes led me to be a bit too chatty or casual during interviews. Feedback I received pointed out that while my enthusiasm was appreciated, it was important to be more concise and professional in my responses. Interviewers are often working within tight time constraints, and giving clear, focused answers helps demonstrate that you can communicate effectively and respect their time. In a commercial law setting, being able to explain complex ideas succinctly is crucial, as clients and colleagues value clarity and precision. With practice, I learned to give direct answers while still conveying enthusiasm, and I found this significantly improved my overall performance. Finding that balance really helped me come across as more polished and business-like during interviews. With practice, I worked on answering questions more concisely and maintaining a professional tone throughout. Finding that balance really helped me improve my performance.
  3. Group Performance:
    • Although I’m generally outgoing, I would sometimes hold back during group exercises, worried about seeming too dominant. Feedback from grad recruitment encouraged me to be more involved. I started aiming to contribute at least 2-3 times during the exercise and made a point of actively engaging with others by asking questions to draw them in. This made a big difference in how my contributions were perceived by grad rec and partners observing these exercises. Overall, I saw that being overly cautious about not dominating the conversation can sometimes work against you. It’s important to contribute confidently, but in a way that also encourages others to share their views. For me, this meant making sure I said at least 2-3 things during the exercise and phrasing some of my points as questions to keep the conversation inclusive. This approach showed that I was not only engaged but also thinking about the group’s dynamic, which is a key skill firms look for in future lawyers. The lesson here is that you don’t need to fear dominating the conversation if you’re being thoughtful about the balance between offering ideas and involving others.
  4. Written Exercises:
    • Written tasks were challenging for me at first, especially since I wasn’t used to working with the types of documents trainees encounter, like contracts or memos. Feedback often pointed out that I either included too much detail or, when trying to simplify, left out important depth. If you haven’t had much experience working with or reviewing the kinds of documents trainees handle, including various agreements, client letters, or memos, it can feel quite daunting at first. It can be difficult to understand the level of precision and attention to detail expected in these tasks. But with consistent practice, it becomes more manageable. With enough repetition, I learned to balance clarity, formatting, and an appropriate level of depth. I also tried my hardest to learn about the types of documents that trainees typically encounter. Even if it feels overwhelming initially, consistent practice helps you build the skills needed to handle these exercises confidently during assessment centres.
Given the range of skills that ACs typically test, it can feel like an uphill battle trying to improve on one's interviewing, teamwork, commercial awareness, writing, and so forth. The key is taking the feedback in stride, continuing to practise, and giving yourself room to develop. It took me many tries to get things right, and that's completely normal. Keep at it - every AC experience helps you get better!

Wishing you all the best for your ACs, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Andrei Radu

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi, this chain has been really insightful! I have a few questions myself
1. Do you have any tips for the work experience section of each application - I have been writing a general description of the tasks that I do at each role and the skills they have taught me but since many of these firm applications only have set questions and do not ask for a cover letter/cv, I feel that i may need to brush up on this section. Is it necessary to link the work experience to commercial law/ use STAR to describe tasks?
2. Before applying, would you recommend a substantial amount of research? I generally do about 2-3 hours of research for each firm and then work on my application. I fear that doing too much and it not fully applying to the application may waste my time as if i get a rejection thats many hours of work that I will never be asked about
3. How to deal with constant rejection- I am one year post grad and just now realising I want to commit to a career in commercial law. Whilst doing my law degree at Uni- my interest was wavering so I didnt fully commit to each application cycle. This is the first where I am investing my time and energy but I have received 3 rejections already for straight TC's and I cant help but feel discouraged.
4. Leading on from 3- I graduated with a mid 2:1 and I know alot of the bigger firms (which i am applying for) attract top candidates who get 1sts from oxbridge etc. I got mainly 2:2s in my first year but amped it up in my final two years only getting 2:1s and a few 1sts. One of my final 3rd year grades was a 2:2 and it was my only for two years- I am not sure why. Will this negatively affect my chances?

Thank you for your time so far ! I hope you can help :)
Hi there - and thanks for the question!

1. I think your approach should depend on the specific work experience you are describing. In general, I think it is good advice to use the STAR structure, especially if the work experience includes a higher number of aspects you could discuss. Regarding the link to commercial law, I don't think linking the skills your experience demonstrates to the job of a trainee can disadvantage you. However, I'd be weary of repeating myself across the application or making tenuous connections.

2. The short answer is yes - I think a substantial amount of research significantly improves your chances of writing truly high-quality applications. The longer answer is that it depends. Firstly, it depends on your own pace of research - some people are able to find the relevant information and exhaust sources a lot faster than others. Secondly, it depends on how easy it is to find a law firm's unique selling points (USPs) - this is the main objective of your research. Some firms, like Slaughter and May, will advertise their selling points from an applicant's perspective directly on their website. For some other firms, you can find articles discussing their USPs from secondary sources like TCLA's Law Firms Profiles. For other firms, you will have to find these USPs by making inferences from your own research. That being said, I do think there is a point of diminishing returns in investing a lot of time in research. Your primary objective should be to find firm USPs that you can link to your motivations and experiences to enable you to write a great answer to 'Why the firm' questions. As such, once you have found that, you should not feel you need to continue researching for researching's sake.

3. Firstly, congratulations for sticking with the applications and for deciding to fully commit this cycle. Commitment and consistency in your efforts makes a huge difference and significantly increases your chances of success. I know it's easy to say and lot more difficult to actually practice, but do try not to feel disheartened by the rejections. Everyone keeps repeating how competitive the application process is, but few actually internalize what this means. MC/SC firms generally have an under 2% success rate, and some elite US firms have a success rate under 1%. Even the very best of candidates (Oxbridge/top Russell group unis, 1.1 degree outcome/prediction, previous legal work experience, and high quality written answers) get rejected in around 2/3 of their applications. Commercial law applications are in big part a numbers game - many people get rejected in 20-30 applications before finally getting their TCs. In my own journey, in my first cycle I was rejected at first stage in all my applications. The second time (which is when I fully committed to the process), I was rejected in my first few applications just like you, but finished the cycle with three TC offers from top US firms. Do not take rejections personally - I ended up being rejected at the first stage by some of the firms in whose applications I had put most effort in, and ended up being progressed with some of the applications I thought could have been further improved. Acknowledge that you can and will fail many times - but that matters not, as you only need to succeed once. Finally, try to use your frustration with your past rejections as a source of motivation for being more determined than ever to write as many great applications as possible. You are not alone, and you definitely can do it!

4. Here, I'd say your grades are not a big issue (besides a small number of firms that are really selective on this point, and are generally well known for this). The first year grades are the ones recruiters will be least focused on. Also, I've seen many people with mid 2.1s get into MC/top US firms. Similarly, although some firms are more focused on Oxbridge and top Russell group unis, I've seen enough candidates from less prestigious universities get TCs at such firms that I think it's definitely worth a shot. However, this is a factor that you should keep in mind when constructing your application strategy and I definitely think you should apply to diverse range of firms to maximize success chances. Even if your ultimate objective might be to work for a particular type of firm, it is a lot easier to get there by pursuing a lateral move post qualification rather than applying again and again for a TC.

Hope this was helpful and best of luck with your applications this cycle!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi everyone, should you include your vacation scheme in your work experience section of the application - I have included it within my application answers, but not sure if it goes in this section as well?

Hi friend :)

Yes, I’d definitely recommend including your vacation scheme in the work experience section of your application. While it’s great that you’ve mentioned specific pieces of work in your application answers to support why you’re interested in commercial law or interested in a firm, the work experience section is where you can really cover the range of tasks and responsibilities you experienced during a scheme.

By including your vacation scheme as an entry in your work experience section, you can also showcase the various skills and abilities you developed and the trainee-level tasks you might’ve gained exposure to. It’s a chance to show how your time during the scheme helped you grow professionally and prepared you for the demands of a training contract.

Good luck with the application!

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

👩🎓

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 31, 2023
Hi friend :)

Yes, I’d definitely recommend including your vacation scheme in the work experience section of your application. While it’s great that you’ve mentioned specific pieces of work in your application answers to support why you’re interested in commercial law or interested in a firm, the work experience section is where you can really cover the range of tasks and responsibilities you experienced during a scheme.

By including your vacation scheme as an entry in your work experience section, you can also showcase the various skills and abilities you developed and the trainee-level tasks you might’ve gained exposure to. It’s a chance to show how your time during the scheme helped you grow professionally and prepared you for the demands of a training contract.

Good luck with the application!
Thank you so much

fingersarecrossed

Star Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    2. Before applying, would you recommend a substantial amount of research? I generally do about 2-3 hours of research for each firm and then work on my application. I fear that doing too much and it not fully applying to the application may waste my time as if i get a rejection thats many hours of work that I will never be asked about
    omg same! i literally just research things that may be relevant for my application then at the end i only do an in-depth research if i get to the ac/interview stage

hmevey

Sep 7, 2024
    omg same! i literally just research things that may be relevant for my application then at the end i only do an in-depth research if i get to the ac/interview stage
    Yeah whilst i was at uni i would do hours of research and just got rejected anyways haha. Maybe this year will come with some luck. Just did the ashurst tests feel like I may aswell just not have applied it was so odd haha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.