Early Bird
Feb 28, 2018
Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018

JoshMason

Mar 2, 2018
Phew! I was hoping to send an app to LL, glad to know it might actually get somewhere other than receiving an email in August with the usual PFO of all our TC spaces went to the vac schemers.

But tbh mostly shocked about S&M... I wonder why the conversion rates are sooo low

I think their vac scheme is a bit different to most- more for students to see the firm rather than a main driver for recruitment

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
Just received a pfo post TC assessment at Slaughter & May, although I personally believed I performed well (waiting for feedback).

Question: I have 2 vacation scemes in the summer. 1 at a regional firm AG, and the 2nd at a Magic circle firm. I will probably do 4/5 direct TC apps for 2020.

If I manage to get a TC interview with let's say a U.S. or Magic Circle firm. How would I leverage my VS's and how would I answer the following:
which other firms have you applied to and why?
Do you have any offers?
(U.S firm) What would you do if your VS at said magic circle results in an offer? Who would you pick? Us or them?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just received a pfo post TC assessment at Slaughter & May, although I personally believed I performed well (waiting for feedback).

Question: I have 2 vacation scemes in the summer. 1 at a regional firm AG, and the 2nd at a Magic circle firm. I will probably do 4/5 direct TC apps for 2020.

If I manage to get a TC interview with let's say a U.S. or Magic Circle firm. How would I leverage my VS's and how would I answer the following:
    Do you have any offers?
    (U.S firm) What would you do if your VS at said magic circle results in an offer? Who would you pick? Us or them?

Hey Sandrou,

I'm sorry to hear about Slaughters but it's good you're getting feedback. I'll answer your questions in order:

1. Which other firms have you applied to and why? You can be honest here but try to explain why you applied to other firms. Suppose you're applying to a corporate-heavy US law firm. The recruiters will want to know that you're actually interested in corporate law at a US law firm - and not say IP work at a national firm. So there's nothing wrong with applying to other firms, but you need to be clear about your motivations. Think about why you did a scheme at AG - what did you like or dislike? Why are you applying to a US law firm after that? Why wouldn't you prefer training at a magic circle firm? If a firm gives you an offer, they're investing a lot of time and money into you. They want to know that (a) you'd fit in (b) you're interested in what they do (that's what'll keep you going in the early hours of the morning) and (c) you actually want to be there (so you'll stay).

2. Do you have any offers? Sure, you can tell them.

3. What would you did if you get an offer from your magic circle firm? Well, they're not going to want an applicant that would rather be at a magic circle firm.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Do you have any offers?

Hi, sorry about the rejection. How long was your CV/cover letter?

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    In respect to the cover letter I'd say structure and conciseness is key.

Needs to be a formal letter I.e., correctly addressed and using all correct formalities (with no typos). I had a paragraph on why Slaughters? Why commercial law? And what skills/experiences I possess.

For the CV, I kept it concise and structured with consistent format. I.e. Used bullet points as oppose to long worded descriptions. The first para should be a break down all your grades). And then your experiences etc. Good luck !
    Eek! I thought the cover letter would simply be who you are/ what you’re applying for so max 200 words.. did you add anything else?

I am hoping to send off my CV as 2 pages, do you think that is fine?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    In respect to the cover letter I'd say structure and conciseness is key.

Needs to be a formal letter I.e., correctly addressed and using all correct formalities (with no typos). I had a paragraph on why Slaughters? Why commercial law? And what skills/experiences I possess.

For the CV, I kept it concise and structured with consistent format. I.e. Used bullet points as oppose to long worded descriptions. The first para should be a break down all your grades). And then your experiences etc. Good luck !

Thank you for the tips!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.