TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

asplawyer100

Feb 13, 2024
People applying to W&C vac scheme: under the question “please give us details of careers events you have attended”, what do you speak about if you hadn’t attended any W&C specific events? Just insight days you’ve attended at other law firms? Should you link these to W&C somehow, or are they literally just asking about experiences you pursued and not how they’re relevant to your application to W&C?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
People applying to W&C vac scheme: under the question “please give us details of careers events you have attended”, what do you speak about if you hadn’t attended any W&C specific events? Just insight days you’ve attended at other law firms? Should you link these to W&C somehow, or are they literally just asking about experiences you pursued and not how they’re relevant to your application to W&C?
I don’t think you will need an explicit link to W&C but focusing on the events more connected to the type of work the firm does would make sense. I don’t think you need to say anything that would use White & Case as a reference point in this answer.

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Thank you very much! That was extremely comprehensive!

Quite annoying that unpaid work qualifies as work… how would you rate the chances of (1) and (2)? Were firms more likely than not open to such proposals?

As an aside, if you feel comfortable with sharing the names of the firms which you heard had such flexible arrangements… it would be very much appreciated!
If you get a VS offer at a small US firm running a one-week scheme, while I obviously cannot quantify it, I would say you have good enough chances to be worth applying. In my case it worked out, but I don't know enough people who have been in similar circumstances to be able to make a more general judgement. A lot will depend on the attitude of the specific recruiters at each firm.

As per the second question, I'm not sure I can tell you as this is not part of any official firm policy and I would not want to misrepresent a firm's recruiting profile. Even the firm I went to changed its graduate recruitment staff this year, so there is no guarantee they will be inclined to have the same attitude this cycle. That said, I will say that I think in general higher flexibility is associated with (i) US firms rather than UK firms; (ii) small firms rather than large ones; (iii) one week schemes rather than multiple week schemes; and (iv) assessment/networking/training focus rather than work focus. To maximize your chances, what I'd advise you to do is to shortlist the firms you would be interested in using the first three criteria and then further research (perhaps by reaching out to ex-vac schemers) which vacation schemes have the least focus on work.

Reactions: Looper88

fingersarecrossed

Esteemed Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application.

For this question, how many points should we aim to mention and should we outline the skills we gained from those experiences?

Amma Usman

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    How do you guys pick yourself up when feeling defeated? Spending hours drafting applications to just be rejected after a random test.
    Do you guys have any tips? @Andrei Radu, how do you manage to not give up?
    Hey @AS24 , here’s my take on it…

Honestly, rejection is tough, and there’s no sugar-coating that. But it’s so important to remember that it doesn’t define your worth or potential as a future lawyer. The way I see it, these tests are often just a filter tool for law firms—they’re designed to sift through a high volume of applicants, not necessarily to measure your capability or future success.

Sometimes, tests don’t capture what really makes you stand out: your ability to analyse complex issues, your interpersonal skills, or your resilience. These things are crucial for a career as a commercial lawyer, but they can’t always be boiled down to a few multiple-choice questions.

So don’t let a few setbacks make you doubt yourself. The most successful people in the legal profession have faced countless rejections, yet they pushed through and kept improving. Rejections don’t close doors—they just redirect you to better opportunities. And every application you write is refining your skills, building your story, and bringing you closer to the right fit.

When you feel defeated, take a step back and remind yourself why you started. Revisit the long-term goal, but also allow yourself to take small breaks when needed. Lean on your support network, share your experiences, and most importantly, keep going. Every “no” brings you one step closer to a “yes.”

Keep your head high, and don’t let temporary setbacks stop you from achieving your goals. You will get there. 💪

• Love
    Reactions: AS24

Amma Usman

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Any guidance re Taylor Wessing cover letter? e.g. anyone knows what length is acceptable? thanks
    Hey @gazdgazd11 , good question. For cover letters where there is no word count, I tend to not go beyond 650 words. This is because I feel anything longer risks the danger of skipping off on tangents, or saying the same thing but with overflowerly language.

Ideally, the cover letter should cover three things (1) why commercial law (2) why the firm (3) skills, experiences, achievements that make you stand out.

For better structure, it is also worth mentioning that you will cover these three things in the introductory paragraph of the cover letter. This will give the recruiter ease when navigating between each paragraph.

Reactions: gazdgazd11

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 4, 2023
    Hey all, just have a few questions (specifically in reference to Mishcon if that's helpful).
    1- they ask "do you currently hold a valid visa" right after I answered "no" for needing a visa to work in the UK. I've got a UK passport so don't need a visa, am I correct in saying no to that question or are they considering a passport to be a visa? (I am definitely overthinking this I just don't want to make a mistake lol).

2- They have 5 boxes for "achievements and awards". I have filled 2, one with all my virtual VS/ internships (like legal cheek's one) + Forage, the other with volunteering work I have done. Should I try and fill the other 3 as well (separating Forage from the rest, talking about hobbies etc) or is that overkill if I don't really have anything more to say?

Thank you!

Amma Usman

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application.

For this question, how many points should we aim to mention and should we outline the skills we gained from those experiences?
    Hi @fingersarecrossed , I would suggest focusing less on the number of points you want to cover and more on grouping similar experiences together. For instance, you could combine extracurricular activities into one paragraph and positions of responsibility into another. It’s also a good idea to briefly highlight the skills gained, as the final part of the question mentions that these will help support your application.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

Looper88

Standard Member
  • Oct 2, 2024
    If you get a VS offer at a small US firm running a one-week scheme, while I obviously cannot quantify it, I would say you have good enough chances to be worth applying. In my case it worked out, but I don't know enough people who have been in similar circumstances to be able to make a more general judgement. A lot will depend on the attitude of the specific recruiters at each firm.

As per the second question, I'm not sure I can tell you as this is not part of any official firm policy and I would not want to misrepresent a firm's recruiting profile. Even the firm I went to changed its graduate recruitment staff this year, so there is no guarantee they will be inclined to have the same attitude this cycle. That said, I will say that I think in general higher flexibility is associated with (i) US firms rather than UK firms; (ii) small firms rather than large ones; (iii) one week schemes rather than multiple week schemes; and (iv) assessment/networking/training focus rather than work focus. To maximize your chances, what I'd advise you to do is to shortlist the firms you would be interested in using the first three criteria and then further research (perhaps by reaching out to ex-vac schemers) which vacation schemes have the least focus on work.
    Thank you very much, that is all understood. Grateful for your kind advice in navigating these frustrating circumstances! 😇

Reactions: Andrei Radu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.