• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
I underestimated how hard the switch to law was. Does anyone have a list of good but smaller (less competitive perhaps) commercial firms in London, that I could leverage to move to bigger law firms?

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I don't think there is an actual number (know this is not the most helpful response) due to the number of variables that could happen.

For instance, doing 5 over 5 years is very different to doing 5 over one cycle. Its also very different if they are also all very recent rather than some many years ago.

One person doing 5 schemes could have had 5 very different reasons for being unsuccessful at those firms, while the next could be getting consistent feedback that they need to develop in a certain area.

And then someone could have done 5 vacation schemes at 5 very different firms, while another may have applied to all 5 MC firms.

Generally though if you have done multiple vacation schemes (3+) in one cycle and are rushing into applying for the next cycle to either the same or similar firms, and got similar feedback, I'd say it is more of a concern. But if the variables are more varied (like those above), it is less of a concern, especially if you can show development/growth or can identify why you have finally found the right firm for you.
Thanks. I needed to hear this. I can imagine that the focus on this site is persuading people that no age limit is a barrier (and that they may benefit from spending money on courses to help them) but I'ms tarting to think at 27 I'll never get there. I feel like I should have got there five years ago and that my Peers are already earning six figures in the law. I feel like a total failure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks. I needed to hear this. I can imagine that the focus on this site is persuading people that no age limit is a barrier (and that they may benefit from spending money on courses to help them) but I'ms tarting to think at 27 I'll never get there. I feel like I should have got there five years ago and that my Peers are already earning six figures in the law. I feel like a total failure.
Age is a completely different matter though and really is not a barrier. I’ve recruited too many trainees that are many years older than you are now (and some that are decades older) to know your age won’t be a problem.

Just because they are earning that now doesn’t mean your journey will be behind them in another 10 years time. You still have a whole career ahead of you were those people could be reporting into you in the future or you could be the one interviewing or hiring them in years to come.

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
This is my 6th application cycle. My most successful one and I was the oldest person in both my vac schemes but I met so many trainees older than me or one year younger on one of my vac schemes which was really encouraging. That said, I gave myself an ultimatum last year in September that this would be my final application cycle and I would give it my all. It's been my most successful one and I'm really close to a TC. That said, I have no more years left in me to keep going if this doesn't come through. So I totally get it, but give yourself some time but if you want to decide not to continue its a valid choice as long as you know you have given it your all and left no stone unturned so that you have no regrets.

EzeLaylor

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 15, 2021
    View attachment 6158
    I wasn’t an insufferable moron during the scheme, but I was afterwards. I’m sorry but three months is too long to wait for feedback.
    Stood in doorway too long … this is very erm specific feedback post vac scheme.

What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am reading the feedback notes second hand, but I think the focusing on the doorway point is not really the issue - the scores seem to be 14/15 for an interview and 13/15 for vacation scheme supervisor/performance - this level of performance is likely to be more than strong enough and the comments on the feedback about the door/EQ seem to be minor. It could easily be that these minor comments were passed on just as a development point rather than the reason for not getting the role.

I am not sure what the data poll is but if that was 6/15 that would be a low performance and the area for concern and would be the key reason the firm made the decision.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.