• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I do tend to use short paragraphs, not bullet points. However, I wouldn't like to hold myself out as someone that can suggest what should/shouldn't be done.

@Jessica Booker may be able to provide clarity :)
My general rule is paragraphs unless you can format bullet points in the application form (like you can do on these forums). However, if it’s just a free text box (with no formatting functionality), use full prose/sentences/paragraphs.

Bubbles

Legendary Member
Jan 19, 2022
sure, my strengths were critical thinking, organisation (I think?) and my weakness was not considering the broader picture apparently!
They might be snowed under the large number of applications, hence the delay! Personally, its been three weeks since my VI, so I'm anticipating their response too.
It should be fine, I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :)
Thanks for the reply, I got a PFO from them on Monday lol. My strength was detail and weakness was the same as you so I'm just gonna assume that I did poorly on the critical thinking test.

Hope you get a positive response from them!

Reactions: aspirationforlaw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If there are any firms that see '2.1 gained', and treat it the same irregardless of it being 61 or 69. Also, just any firms that don't count academics as a big thing, as they're probably the weakest part of my application. Thanks in advance :)
In all honesty, I don't think any firm has a blanket approach like this - the results are ultimately different and are, therefore likely to be seen as such.

However, there will be firms who care less about academics and who put much more weighting on other evidence in an application - unfortunately I don't know specifically who they are (our wider TCLA might have a view on which firms might be worth considering).

ayoussef

Standard Member
Oct 17, 2022
Anyone receive response from Simmons post AC.

They said within two weeks. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

I think it’s PFO, but did anyone hear back earlier or know how Simmons deal with outcomes?

nma123

Premium Member
Nov 12, 2022
Anyone receive response from Simmons post AC.

They said within two weeks. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks.

I think it’s PFO, but did anyone hear back earlier or know how Simmons deal with outcomes?
I had AC for Simmons SVS over 3 weeks ago - I also got told 2 weeks for response but have heard nothing. Going to wait because they might be busy with WVS stuff this week

Reactions: law23

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
Are you meant to get email confirmation after submitting the Watson Glaser for DLA?
No, but you can email Grad Rec and ask them to confirm that they've received it (which is what I did). As long as you get to the end of the test where it says something like 'thank you for taking part', your results should go through just fine. Bearing in mind I did my WG for DLA Piper back in September so I'm not sure what it said at the end of the test 😅

Reactions: gw9

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
In all honesty, I don't think any firm has a blanket approach like this - the results are ultimately different and are, therefore likely to be seen as such.

However, there will be firms who care less about academics and who put much more weighting on other evidence in an application - unfortunately I don't know specifically who they are (our wider TCLA might have a view on which firms might be worth considering).
Thank you for your response. If anyone does have any ideas regarding firms which don't weigh academics highly, I would appreciate any responses!

Ambs123

Legendary Member
Feb 19, 2021
Thank you for your response. If anyone does have any ideas regarding firms which don't weigh academics highly, I would appreciate any responses!
Macfarlanes are quite forgiving! I had a 2:2 in my second year (but with mitigating) and I got an AC there! Same with trowers and Hamlins and Stephenson Harwood. I have a low 2:1 and got AC/interviews there too :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi! @Jessica Booker i was hoping for your insight. I attended a law firm event the other day and they spoke about a deal in the presentation that really reflected a lot of the reasons why I like the firm. Now I’m writing my application, do you think it’s ok to talk about that deal? I don’t want it to sound like I haven’t done my research, it is just that it was a particularly large and complex deal. It did also happen 2 years ago so I don’t know if that affects things as well.
Absolutely ok to talk about that deal but the fact that it is 2 years old makes me wonder if it may be better to search for other deals that happened within the lat 6-12 months that cover the same reasons why this deal stood out to you? If you're not able to find any other deals that resonate, then it should be fine to use the 2-year old deal as you don't want to compromise on the quality of your answer that's conveying your motivations to going the firm!

Reactions: Adrian_S

aniraz

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Does anyone know how to get into their Freshfields workday account after applying? I don't remember ever setting a username/password and my email isn't working as a username.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.