TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Now that I have had a couple of days to let it sink in I can say that I have (finally) received a TC offer from one of the VSs I undertook this summer. So even if the other firm says no when I hear the outcome I still never have to do another TC application again!

Thanks to @Jaysen @Jessica Booker and the gang in the writing group (@Adrian_S @S87 @Raynz @Alison C @lawnoob ) and everyone else who makes this forum what it is - it’s so refreshing to be able to ask those questions and share knowledge with people without fear of judgement or lack of understanding. As much as my friends and family try none of them are in law so the assistance is limited!

This was my third application cycle and first time applying for VSs (I always did direct before as I worked and couldn’t use annual leave for VSs). I’m a state schooled, first to go to uni, 2.1 non-RG graduate without A levels who worked full time or almost full time throughout university so didn’t have a huge host of extra curriculars on my CV. It can be done!

I’m still gonna stick around here and help out where I can, and my messages are open for anyone that has any q’s or wants a chat!
This has been so heartwarming to read! Seeing the forum come together in these ways is one of the best parts of my job. Working together is so much more productive and healthy than engaging in unnecessary competition, and this will 100% make working in commercial law that much more joyful. So happy for you and everything you've achieved @Abii 👏👏👏

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi guys, how would you suggest practicing/learning how law firms can advise businesses for AC commercial questions?

I’m able to identify how commercial issues affect businesses, but how do I learn about what legal advice should be given in response? I feel like there’s no way for me to learn about ALL and EVERY legal response, so are there specific ones that come up a lot in the commercial part of interviews?

Any tips or resources would be greatly appreciated!

Limanehious

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
At what point would people recommend chasing a law firm? They told us we would hear end of last week, and I’ve heard nothing. I messaged grad recruitment on Monday but not heard anything back. They specifically said we would hear back either way. What would people recommend?

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
At what point would people recommend chasing a law firm? They told us we would hear end of last week, and I’ve heard nothing. I messaged grad recruitment on Monday but not heard anything back. They specifically said we would hear back either way. What would people recommend?
Do you know if others have heard back?

As you got in touch with them on Monday and haven’t heard back I would wait until next Monday to reach out again unless you have a specific deadline you need to hear the outcome by due to, for example, competing offers.

Reactions: ellwilsen

Ricecakes

Aug 10, 2022
Hi - hopefully someone can help, Im in an incredibly fortunate position of receiving two TCs but im really struggling to decide between two firms but one is for this year and the other starts in 2024. For context both law firms have similar seat options, and do similar work so would get similar experience, both are American (so small intake etc.), and are well regarded.
However the 2022 one was a direct TC so havent been able to send as much 1 on 1 time with the associate/partners etc there whereas i did a VS with the 2024 one so i feel much more emotionally invested in that firm.
Would be super helpful to hear what others have done in similar situations e.g. basing decisions off culture, being able to start work earlier etc?
And how big of a deal is a 2 year gap/starting the law journey 2 years later?
Thanks!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi - hopefully someone can help, Im in an incredibly fortunate position of receiving two TCs but im really struggling to decide between two firms but one is for this year and the other starts in 2024. For context both law firms have similar seat options, and do similar work so would get similar experience, both are American (so small intake etc.), and are well regarded.
However the 2022 one was a direct TC so havent been able to send as much 1 on 1 time with the associate/partners etc there whereas i did a VS with the 2024 one so i feel much more emotionally invested in that firm.
Would be super helpful to hear what others have done in similar situations e.g. basing decisions off culture, being able to start work earlier etc?
And how big of a deal is a 2 year gap/starting the law journey 2 years later?
Thanks!!
A couple of things:

1) You could explain to the firm you didn’t do a VS with that you’d like to come in for a half day or so to meet some lawyers and spend time in the firm. You can explain your position as to why you are requesting if that could be possible

2) you could also ask the 2024 firm whether there is any chance of your start date to be brought forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.