• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Quite a sad TC unsuccessful story

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. This is my first time writing so openly on this forum but lately I have been feeling really low and wanted to share my experience, and hopefully get some direction about where to go from here.

My background

I am a law graduate from RG Uni (with 1st) with masters in law. I have not completed LPC or SQE because for me it is too expensive to self-fund. It has been a while since I graduated - I am now 26 - and I have a full time job too. This is my 6th (!!!) application cycle and while some of the previous cycles might not feel as well prepared as some later ones, I am starting to lose hope on getting a TC.

My TC approach is very strategic. I have utilised TCLA for the past 5 years, I have completed almost ALL the courses (some of them 2 or 3 times), I have used the application review service and the mock interviews many times. For some of the OGs, I have been mock interviewed by Arun who has also completed the PE course. Now you can tell what type of dinosaur I am in this platform. I only apply to firms that are very special to me and match my interest, work experience and my masters. I have a very extensive CV with legal and non-legal experience and I speak 9 languages (not fluent in all of them but surely that is a bit impressive right?).

My journey

I want to share mostly the past 3 cycles of applications I have done and maybe get some insights and recommendations. For these cycles I focus on firms that are smaller, with a small trainee intake and without tests. I have taken SJTs and WG tests and honestly, despite the preparation, I have received inconsistent results from firms at the same cycle. So I narrowed down my aim to law firms that are smaller and have a straightforward app process. Some of these law firms I have applied 2 or 3 times so they can probably see my previous applications and notice improvements in my writing and in my experience as I progress. Yet, and despite using TCLA's app review service multiple times for the same application, 90% of my applications get rejected.

Don't get me wrong, I have had applications pass before - usually I do 10-15 applications per cycle and only 1-2 applications pass. It might be a numbers game but I think it is a low rate considering the effort I have put in. I have been to two assessment centres before, one was interview only and the other was an 8-hour all in assessment centre with interviews, debates etc. I did not manage to progress further than these, the feedback I received was that in my interview I sounded too rehearsed and in the assessment centre I was not very good at the written exercise. I am working towards improving both of these, but my applications still do not make it past that stage for me to even consider proving my worth.

This year I have applied to direct TCs only. I made this decision consciously because I am much older than the average candidate. So far I have applied to 6 firms and I have another 4 lined up to do, while 4 are pending. The un-success rate is about 40% so far, which is very demotivating.

In comparison to many brilliant people in this platform, I have not applied to 30 firms in one cycle, I have not done 10 ACs, I have not done ANY VSs. I have a lot of internships and work experience (legal and non legal) which I hope compensates for the lack of ACs or big law names in my CV. I know my applications are good because a) TCLA reviews them and I get feedback on where I lack and b) some have actually made it before. However, this cycle I feel very demotivated and the fact that I am older than lots of candidates is really playing in my head.

It has been really hard to see these rejections coming through considering that I do not have many options left. I have been wanted to become a lawyer since I was 12 years old and the past year is making me feel like I need to completely give up. I know that maybe my approach is not correct seeing as less applications means definitely less success rate but I have little motivation to pursue this when none of my applications go through.

If any of you are able to offer insights on how to continue or what you felt works for you when you apply, I would be really interested to hear. You are all big motivations for me but it's honestly really hard to not feel down and sorry when there is no positive news for months and months.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. This is my first time writing so openly on this forum but lately I have been feeling really low and wanted to share my experience, and hopefully get some direction about where to go from here.

My background

I am a law graduate from RG Uni (with 1st) with masters in law. I have not completed LPC or SQE because for me it is too expensive to self-fund. It has been a while since I graduated - I am now 26 - and I have a full time job too. This is my 6th (!!!) application cycle and while some of the previous cycles might not feel as well prepared as some later ones, I am starting to lose hope on getting a TC.

My TC approach is very strategic. I have utilised TCLA for the past 5 years, I have completed almost ALL the courses (some of them 2 or 3 times), I have used the application review service and the mock interviews many times. For some of the OGs, I have been mock interviewed by Arun who has also completed the PE course. Now you can tell what type of dinosaur I am in this platform. I only apply to firms that are very special to me and match my interest, work experience and my masters. I have a very extensive CV with legal and non-legal experience and I speak 9 languages (not fluent in all of them but surely that is a bit impressive right?).

My journey

I want to share mostly the past 3 cycles of applications I have done and maybe get some insights and recommendations. For these cycles I focus on firms that are smaller, with a small trainee intake and without tests. I have taken SJTs and WG tests and honestly, despite the preparation, I have received inconsistent results from firms at the same cycle. So I narrowed down my aim to law firms that are smaller and have a straightforward app process. Some of these law firms I have applied 2 or 3 times so they can probably see my previous applications and notice improvements in my writing and in my experience as I progress. Yet, and despite using TCLA's app review service multiple times for the same application, 90% of my applications get rejected.

Don't get me wrong, I have had applications pass before - usually I do 10-15 applications per cycle and only 1-2 applications pass. It might be a numbers game but I think it is a low rate considering the effort I have put in. I have been to two assessment centres before, one was interview only and the other was an 8-hour all in assessment centre with interviews, debates etc. I did not manage to progress further than these, the feedback I received was that in my interview I sounded too rehearsed and in the assessment centre I was not very good at the written exercise. I am working towards improving both of these, but my applications still do not make it past that stage for me to even consider proving my worth.

This year I have applied to direct TCs only. I made this decision consciously because I am much older than the average candidate. So far I have applied to 6 firms and I have another 4 lined up to do, while 4 are pending. The un-success rate is about 40% so far, which is very demotivating.

In comparison to many brilliant people in this platform, I have not applied to 30 firms in one cycle, I have not done 10 ACs, I have not done ANY VSs. I have a lot of internships and work experience (legal and non legal) which I hope compensates for the lack of ACs or big law names in my CV. I know my applications are good because a) TCLA reviews them and I get feedback on where I lack and b) some have actually made it before. However, this cycle I feel very demotivated and the fact that I am older than lots of candidates is really playing in my head.

It has been really hard to see these rejections coming through considering that I do not have many options left. I have been wanted to become a lawyer since I was 12 years old and the past year is making me feel like I need to completely give up. I know that maybe my approach is not correct seeing as less applications means definitely less success rate but I have little motivation to pursue this when none of my applications go through.

If any of you are able to offer insights on how to continue or what you felt works for you when you apply, I would be really interested to hear. You are all big motivations for me but it's honestly really hard to not feel down and sorry when there is no positive news for months and months.
    Just a quick take, but when you said the feedback was that you sounded too rehearsed, I was thinking it sounds like this may be the case, too. It's important to focus on crafting a coherent, genuine and compelling narrative for why you want to do law and why at that firm. I think it is quite easy to spot overly rehearsed answers - if this is really what you want maybe focus a bit on being more genuine. I think a lot of applicants who struggle view the law application process as a 'game' you win by securing the most points, so they try and study the biggest ways to score points, and submit laborious applications with overly rehearsed and practised answers. Not saying this is the case with you, but often fewer, more succinct and compelling points can be the difference. For ACs/interviews, there is obviously the technical points you may need to work on, but I think it's important to be genuine with your interviewer too - they are ultimately assessing you for fit and attitude also. Practising law is not rocket science - and you probably have more than the required academic acumen, proving this point to them again and again will help less than focusing on why you are a good fit for the firm.

Also - I would not worry about being older. I decided changed careers to law later in life, did a VS at 29, and will be 32 starting my training contract (and 34 as an NQ) - definitely older than the average but I have met a good few people who have begun their TCs later in life (even older than me), so its not a big deal - 26 is still very young.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Just a quick take, but when you said the feedback was that you sounded too rehearsed, I was thinking it sounds like this may be the case, too. It's important to focus on crafting a coherent, genuine and compelling narrative for why you want to do law and why at that firm. I think it is quite easy to spot overly rehearsed answers - if this is really what you want maybe focus a bit on being more genuine. I think a lot of applicants who struggle view the law application process as a 'game' you win by securing the most points, so they try and study the biggest ways to score points, and submit laborious applications with overly rehearsed and practised answers. Not saying this is the case with you, but often fewer, more succinct and compelling points can be the difference. For ACs/interviews, there is obviously the technical points you may need to work on, but I think it's important to be genuine with your interviewer too - they are ultimately assessing you for fit and attitude also. Practising law is not rocket science - and you probably have more than the required academic acumen, proving this point to them again and again will help less than focusing on why you are a good fit for the firm.

Also - I would not worry about being older. I decided changed careers to law later in life, did a VS at 29, and will be 32 starting my training contract (and 34 as an NQ) - definitely older than the average but I have met a good few people who have begun their TCs later in life (even older than me), so its not a big deal - 26 is still very young.
    This is very encouraging to hear, I appreciate it!

I agree - I have filmed myself and I can tell that I sound rehearsed because I try to cram in all these USPs about myself and I have answered the three whys multiple times to know by heart. However, I struggle to get past application stage which is discouraging when I spent a lot of time correcting myself for interviews/AC. It honestly feels like it will never come

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Sharon Wu

Valued Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    Hi everyone,

My background

My journey

Thanks for sharing your journey.
    I did not get a 1st class, so well done and it shows that when you get into legal practice you have the written skills to be a success.
    You said you work full time, do you work as a commercial paralegal?

I have a 2.1 and have worked as a paralegal (for 2+ years) and get involved in activities both at and outside of work.
    I am a pretty normal candidate and not outstanding by any metric, so I am expecting it to be a long road.
    I get about 1 AC per 15 applications. By the end of this cycle, I will have done ~75 applications (15 winter VS, 15 Spring VS, 15 Summer VS, and about 30 Direct TCs). I have obtained 6 ACs so far, I have done 4 (rejected from 3, awaiting the results of 1) and have 2 to come. I still have 10 of the 75 applications to write. I pass the app stage for about 80% of applications I make. I love written assessments, but I must admit, I attended a masterclass by a person who writes them and so this made it easy for me. I have had interview feedback from a consultant who is an ex commercial lawyer, and to be honest, I just think I have started to understand the law application process better. I do like games based test. For those like Slaughters who take 1st's, I'm usually rejected within days, but that helps me as I am not waiting around for an answer and can move onto the next.

SJTs: because I did so many apps, I started to vary my answers, to try and recognise what answer gave what result. I receive 9976 for one of the SJTs and feel this is enough to pass onto the next stage. Even if I don't get a TC this year, I feel more prepared for the next (and what will be my final cycle).

I have not tackled applications in this way before. I did about 5 in my first year, 5 in my second year (could not pass the WGT), and ~22 in my final year after my exams when honestly I had not studied the recruitment process.

I do think its a numbers game, and that some people are more suited to some firms than others. One AC I had, I decided that I did not like the firm in the first minute (despite it being silver circle), the next one I did not like it because when I asked them questions it was clear that they were not growing in the practice area that I wanted, its focus was in other areas. I didnt get it, but I wasnt upset (it was a national firm). The following two I really liked. One I have already received a rejection from, I was gutted, I liked the firm but wasnt soo keen on the location. However, the most recent AC I did, I loved it! I spoke to the managing partner (who interviewed me), I had a great discussion with them and they are looking to grow and in the area I am interested in qualifying into. Its also in a city I love. I'm awaiting the outcome and have my fingers crossed.

However, I've met wonderful people and have learned so much along the way that I don't regret anything.
    Its been an exhausting year applying to soo many firms. I literally spend 3-4 days on each. I've had no social life but wanted to dedicate everything this year, to make sure that I have the best possible chance of getting something... (I've also applied to about 25 paralegal jobs across the year, and interviewed with ~2), so its been really tough...

If I could give my former self advice, I would say (1) the application process is an exam in itself, get to understand what it is and what you need to do, (2) group firms into those you like, so it makes writing applications easier... (3) don't fall in love with a firm you can always transfer once qualified, (4) look at regional and national firms that do the work you want too - its great to have that VS experience on your CV too...

I do think its easier to get a TC while at uni, but hey ho, we have missed that boat... We live, We learn... Good luck and keep us posted :)

Last edited:

raysalih

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 27, 2023
    I did not get a 1st class, so well done and it shows that when you get into legal practice you have the written skills to be a success.

I have a 2.1 and have worked as a paralegal (for 2+ years) and get involved in activities both at and outside of work.
    I am a pretty normal candidate and not outstanding by any metric, so I am expecting it to be a long road.
    I get about 1 AC per 15 applications. By the end of this cycle, I will have done ~75 applications (15 winter VS, 15 Spring VS, 15 Summer VS, and about 30 Direct TCs). I have obtained 6 ACs so far, I have done 4 (rejected from 3, awaiting the results of 1) and have 2 to come. I still have 10 of the 75 applications to write. I pass the app stage for about 80% of applications I make. I love written assessments, but I must admit, I attended a masterclass by a person who writes them and so this made it easy for me. I have had interview feedback from a consultant who is an ex commercial lawyer, and to be honest, I just think I have started to understand the law application process better. I do like games based test. For those like Slaughters who take 1st's, I'm usually rejected within days, but that helps me as I am not waiting around for an answer and can move onto the next.

SJTs: because I did so many apps, I started to vary my answers, to try and recognise what answer gave what result. I receive 9976 for one of the SJTs and feel this is enough to pass onto the next stage. Even if I don't get a TC this year, I feel more prepared for the next (and what will be my final cycle).

I have not tackled applications in this way before. I did about 5 in my first year, 5 in my second year (could not pass the WGT), and ~22 in my final year after my exams when honestly I had not studied the recruitment process.

I do think its a numbers game, and that some people are more suited to some firms than others. One AC I had, I decided that I did not like the firm in the first minute (despite it being silver circle), the next one I did not like it because when I asked them questions it was clear that they were not growing in the practice area that I wanted, its focus was in other areas. I didnt get it, but I wasnt upset (it was a national firm). The following two I really liked. One I have already received a rejection from, I was gutted, I liked the firm but wasnt soo keen on the location. However, the most recent AC I did, I loved it! I spoke to the managing partner (who interviewed me(), I had a great dicussion with them and they are looking to grow and in the area I am interested in qualifying into. Its also in a city I love. I'm awaiting the outcome and have my fingers crossed.

However, I've met wonderful people and have learned so much along the way that I don't regret anything.
    Its been an exhausting year applying to soo many firms. I literally spend 3-4 days on each. I've had no social life but wanted to dedicate everything this year, to make sure that I have the best possible chance of getting something... (I've also applied to about 25 paralegal jobs across the year, and interviewed with ~2), so its been really tough...

If I could give my former self advice, I would say (1) the application process is an exam in itself, get to understand what it is and what you need to do, (2) group firms into those you like, so it makes writing applications easier... (3) don't fall in love with a firm you can always transfer once qualified, (4) look at regional and national firms that do the work you want too - its great to have that VS experience on your CV too...

I do think its easier to get a TC while at uni, but hey ho, we have missed that boat... We live, We learn... Good luck and keep us posted :)
    yep, I second this so much. Application writing is definitely a skill that you can keep improving and refining the more applications you submit. See every 'failure' or unsuccessful application as taking you one step closer to a TC!

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021

I do think its a numbers game, and that some people are more suited to some firms than others. One AC I had, I decided that I did not like the firm in the first minute (despite it being silver circle), the next one I did not like it because when I asked them questions it was clear that they were not growing in the practice area that I wanted, its focus was in other areas. I didnt get it, but I wasnt upset (it was a national firm). The following two I really liked. One I have already received a rejection from, I was gutted, I liked the firm but wasnt soo keen on the location. However, the most recent AC I did, I loved it! I spoke to the managing partner (who interviewed me(), I had a great dicussion with them and they are looking to grow and in the area I am interested in qualifying into. Its also in a city I love. I'm awaiting the outcome and have my fingers crossed.

So I work as in-house paralegal but it is a fixed term role that will end soon. Kinda demotivating as I cannot even use it towards SQE (at least not for the full 2 year requirement)
    75 applications is pretty impressive tbh, I admire people who go through so many! I am more strategic with my approach, I spend a long time drafting and researching and tbh I do not even like that many firms to apply to them so I think that could show. I am not interested in MC (nothing wrong with people who are just not for me) so that takes away options I guess.

I hope the outcome of your interview is positive anyway! Your story is very motivating - especially a good interview experience is great to hear!

You are definitely right that an application is like exam, it definitely feels like it. But your advice is very welcome! I hope I can share positive news soon, I am still waiting on a few apps (haven't progressed to interviews yet) so hopefully all the positivity I got from you will be worth it!

Sharon Wu

Valued Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    I started on a 3 month contract. It’s now rolled over for 2+ years... Just because it’s fixed term, it doesn’t mean they won’t extend it if business needs require it, or that there won’t be another project you can’t jump too... plus the exp is helpful for TC interviews and getting other paralegal posts...

65 applications has been draining and exhausting... Just showing that not everyone has a straightforward time getting a TC. I went to a webinar and the partner said she did 70+ applications, that motivated my ‘go hard or go home’ mentality... Plus I decided if I don’t get one this cycle or next, I won’t apply again, it’s been physically, socially and mentally draining... The one good thing is getting used to rejections. At first I would be in tears. Now I just open them and cross it off my list😂

Last edited:

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    I just wanted to write an update on here, as I did not expect people to see this post. Unfortunately, this cycle has been another unsuccessful attempt to secure a TC. In all honesty, I have drafted 15 applications (which in comparison to how many applications other people do I know it's not a lot), received 1 VI and that is it. I expected more applications to pass but they did not, and I had hopes that this VI would result into something (I took a video of myself during the VI and asked people to review it after, because I am paranoid about my performance). I have received a lot of praise and support, in TCLA and outside of TCLA but this is process has been very brutal to me.

I have taken the decision to give up on my dream on becoming a solicitor. This is a goal I have been working towards since I was 12, it pains me to say it/write it/think it that I have to give up after all these years of time and effort to achieve a dream that is now too painful to pursue. I wish the best of luck to everyone fighting for this, I admire everyone who goes through success and failure.

I hope that I find something else I am good at soon, and that a new adventure awaits whatever it is. Best of luck to everyone who is going through the process and intends to keep going through it next year 🕊️

kavin333

Aug 10, 2024
    I just wanted to write an update on here, as I did not expect people to see this post. Unfortunately, this cycle has been another unsuccessful attempt to secure a TC. In all honesty, I have drafted 15 applications (which in comparison to how many applications other people do I know it's not a lot), received 1 VI and that is it. I expected more applications to pass but they did not, and I had hopes that this VI would result into something (I took a video of myself during the VI and asked people to review it after, because I am paranoid about my performance). I have received a lot of praise and support, in TCLA and outside of TCLA but this is process has been very brutal to me.

I have taken the decision to give up on my dream on becoming a solicitor. This is a goal I have been working towards since I was 12, it pains me to say it/write it/think it that I have to give up after all these years of time and effort to achieve a dream that is now too painful to pursue. I wish the best of luck to everyone fighting for this, I admire everyone who goes through success and failure.

I hope that I find something else I am good at soon, and that a new adventure awaits whatever it is. Best of luck to everyone who is going through the process and intends to keep going through it next year 🕊️
    It takes a lot of courage to share this update, and I can imagine how tough it must be to let go of a dream you've had since you were 12

• Sad
    Reactions: atrumregina1

Sharon Wu

Valued Member
    Oct 27, 2023

Sign up to a few legal recruitment agencies, many have a TC route for internal applicants.
    What have you decided to move into instead?
    Best of luck.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Sign up to a few legal recruitment agencies, many have a TC route for internal applicants.
    What have you decided to move into instead?
    Best of luck.
    Hi! Thanks for the idea, I have signed up but I haven't received anything valuable yet other than some extremely low paying paralegal jobs (which unfortunately I cannot take as I won't be able to afford rent). I do not know what I will move on to. I have dedicated my life to study and work in law all these years so I don't have experience in anything else and I also don't have anything in mind that I like and want to pursue. I hope I find it at some point...

Reactions: Future$trainee

WhiskeyCharlie

Standard Member
    Jan 3, 2023
    Hi! Thanks for the idea, I have signed up but I haven't received anything valuable yet other than some extremely low paying paralegal jobs (which unfortunately I cannot take as I won't be able to afford rent). I do not know what I will move on to. I have dedicated my life to study and work in law all these years so I don't have experience in anything else and I also don't have anything in mind that I like and want to pursue. I hope I find it at some point...
    Have you considered becoming a conflicts/compliance analyst and then applying internally via that position? Even at an entry level, the role pays mid 30s at most big city law firms, and I see more and more internal applicants coming in from this background, across many city firms that allow internal TC apps. You jump into mid 40s with just a 1-1.5 years experience as well and the salary jumps come quickly the more experience you gain.
    Also, the Conflicts and Compliance legal market is hot hot hot right now and quite easy to transition into a career both within law and in finance as well. Some firms are happy to pay for certification after a year or two, such as ICA.

Also, this is pretty cliche, but I don't think you should let the age thing get to you...the average age of qualification is 28+ these days. I'm in a cohort starting this year, and out of ~70 trainees starting (across UK) like 1/5 are older than you are and just starting a TC...just some food for thought honestly. I started my LLB @ 28, don't give up.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Have you considered becoming a conflicts/compliance analyst and then applying internally via that position? Even at an entry level, the role pays mid 30s at most big city law firms, and I see more and more internal applicants coming in from this background, across many city firms that allow internal TC apps. You jump into mid 40s with just a 1-1.5 years experience as well and the salary jumps come quickly the more experience you gain.
    Also, the Conflicts and Compliance legal market is hot hot hot right now and quite easy to transition into a career both within law and in finance as well. Some firms are happy to pay for certification after a year or two, such as ICA.

Also, this is pretty cliche, but I don't think you should let the age thing get to you...the average age of qualification is 28+ these days. I'm in a cohort starting this year, and out of ~70 trainees starting (across UK) like 1/5 are older than you are and just starting a TC...just some food for thought honestly. I started my LLB @ 28, don't give up.
    I have never seen positions advertised for compliance analyst but I will definitely take a look, it sounds like a good idea! Thank you for the tip!

Honestly, most people I see getting TCs are still 2nd year students, but it is encouraging to see many people start this after their mid-20s.

kavin333

Aug 10, 2024
    it is encouraging to see many people start this after their mid-20s.
    It's never too late for anything in life, the thing that changes is resilience, so go get out there.

I have never seen positions advertised for compliance analyst but I will definitely take a look, it sounds like a good idea! Thank you for the tip!
    Did you find out anything? Or didn't take look yet?

WhiskeyCharlie

Standard Member
    Jan 3, 2023

Honestly, most people I see getting TCs are still 2nd year students, but it is encouraging to see many people start this after their mid-20s.
    You won't necessarily be able to get a Compliance Analyst job right off the bat, but you can check out titles such as Compliance Paralegal, AML Paralegal, Onboarding Paralegal or Compliance Paralegal on LinkedIn/ job boards. Ideally, the experience you want is in conflicts, but lot of firms are willing to take on and train you into a Compliance Analyst if you already have the AML experience. You can also try talking to recruiters that specialise in legal compliance such as AJ Fox, theyre always keen to find candidates.

As i mentioned before, I would target firms that allow internal TCs, off the top of my head, i personally know of or have heard through the grape vine of Clyde & Co, Stephenson Harwood and Trowers & Hamlins where Compliance Analysts have gotten TCs at their respective firms.

I know MacFarlanes offer(ed) a paralegal roles in 'Private Funds' roles, which was actually strictly an AML role and often seconded to their clients. This role was advertised as having the opportunity to apply to internal TCs.

Best of luck on your journey, don't give up, we've all been there and we will all get there!

Last edited:
    • ℹ️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.