• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

PDGL UoL or Law Conversion Course LLM BPP

lawyer wannabe80@

Standard Member
  • Jul 17, 2024
    Hello, I'm new so idk if I'm even posting this right haha.

I graduated with a 2:1 in professional policing which is not a law degree, after my gap yea, now I want to do a conversion course to become a solicitor. I'm stuck on which university to go to, BPP or UoL. I'm planning to do an online part-time course as I don't live in London so constant travelling back and forth will be very expansive for me and since it'd been a long time from studying I want to make sure I get exceptional grades and take my time properly learning. I'm also worried about the financial aspect of doing the PGDL, because I will have to borrow from my family on top of saving up and working myself during my course, but from my research I found out the BPP does a LLM Law Conversion course which is essentially the Masters version of PGDL as they have the same modules with addition of professional project in the LLM.

I'm tempted to apply for BPP as I can get a loan and don't have to worry about saving up and borrowing money but what concerns me is 1) the course being classified as LLM so Im worried if that won't give me the same advantage as the PGDL even though they cover the same modules. 2) I've heard numerous times that their teaching is quite bad compare to the UoL and that they discriminate against their students based on who has a training contract where I hear at UoL they give you the same attention as everyone else 3) this is the same as the second one but I'm worried that I wont be supported as much as I would be supported with UoL because I don't have a Training contract, additionally since I really need to build up my law Cv in order to increase my chances by doing working experience, going to law firm open days and events etc; I believe I need a lot of support from the institution with application to law firms.

The only thing making me hesitant with applying for UoL is just the money sadly.

I just need some advice that which is the better choice for my future and if the LLM course will still be an advantage to me, anything helps🥲

Thank you so much in advance😭💗

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It isn’t that the universities discriminate but there are different support elements for those who are being sponsored through the course by a law firm (especially if it is a bespoke course or they are a preferred supplier), versus those that self fund.

Ultimately there is a third party paying for the courses and they have agreements with the universities to ensure certain standards are maintained.

The LLM vs GDL is not going to be an issue - really don’t worry about that.

Both universities will have a careers service but I think you would struggle to get a lot of support form either of them. They will have resources you can use and there will be careers advisors/support staff you can use on occasion, but I wouldn’t say that considerable support is the norm for any university.

lawyer wannabe80@

Standard Member
  • Jul 17, 2024
    It isn’t that the universities discriminate but there are different support elements for those who are being sponsored through the course by a law firm (especially if it is a bespoke course or they are a preferred supplier), versus those that self fund.

Ultimately there is a third party paying for the courses and they have agreements with the universities to ensure certain standards are maintained.

The LLM vs GDL is not going to be an issue - really don’t worry about that.

Both universities will have a careers service but I think you would struggle to get a lot of support form either of them. They will have resources you can use and there will be careers advisors/support staff you can use on occasion, but I wouldn’t say that considerable support is the norm for any university.
    Thank you so much, that does help ease my anxiety around this.

I guess I'll go to do the Law conversion course LLM at BPP as that covers everything the PGDL does and I don't have to stress about money. I'm just worried what if I have to do the PDGL regardless because of the firms. These things have been giving me headache since I tend to overthink and stress about topics like this.

You're right, I should manage my expectations. I guess as long as they support me just enough that I can figure things out and have things proof read or reviewed it will be plenty🥲

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much, that does help ease my anxiety around this.

I guess I'll go to do the Law conversion course LLM at BPP as that covers everything the PGDL does and I don't have to stress about money. I'm just worried what if I have to do the PDGL regardless because of the firms. These things have been giving me headache since I tend to overthink and stress about topics like this.

You're right, I should manage my expectations. I guess as long as they support me just enough that I can figure things out and have things proof read or reviewed it will be plenty🥲
    You won’t have to do the GDL after doing a GDL course re-labelled as an LLM.

Reactions: lawyer wannabe80@

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.