LLM with a PGDL at different universities

pleasedtomeetya

Apr 16, 2024
Hello everyone,
I'd like to get a second opinion on what seems to me a solution to my current predicament. I am an international student with a bachelor's degree from a civil law country. I have applied to study an LLM program at a RG university, and got an offer.

The LLM is niche, I would say, and aligns with what I am doing now and planning to do in the future. At the same time, I would like to try to get into UK law firms. No MC ambitions, but I really want to transfer from my current in-house role to a firm as it looks more fulfilling to me now.

I know the general sentiment here and in many other forums is that LLMs are almost useless for TCs or job applications.

Nevertheless, I would really like to do the LLM I applied for, I am very aligned with the courses and it allows networking and even a chance to get QWE (which, I believe, would be harder to secure if I was on a self-funded PGDL). Thus, I came up with a plan to enrol in said LLM but at the same time enrol in a PGDL online course by UoL or BPP. I have checked the solution with UoL, they told me it was doable, BPP wasn't so sure.

Why do I want to do all at once? It's more of a psychological issue, but I feel like I'm on the clock. I'm in my late 20's, and I don't feel that I have 2 years to do both things while staying unemployed or not even trying to secure a job. I could just do an LLM and go on with my in-house stuff, but I do not feel like getting anywhere beyond "we'll get outside counsel do this" and stretching my area of responsibilities to blunt project management.

What do you think? Am I out of my mind for even thinking that this is manageable, am I missing something? Would be grateful for any type of feedback.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.